View Full Version : SMT5600 LOCKED IN WINDOWS

tokoam
04-21-2005, 02:33 AM
My smt5600 hard locked on me the other day, I turned it off for a reboot and not it only gets as far as the WindowsMobile screen. And there it sits... it will not boot into the OS. I have tried a hard reset as well as removing the battery for a long time. I tried just about every combination of everything but cannot get it to boot. It will eventually drain the battery dead sitting on that screen

Kris Kumar
04-21-2005, 05:01 AM
I have had this problem a few times. But removing the battery. And then performing a hard reset has always fixed the problem.

Not sure if this would work. But remove the miniSD card and the SIM card. Then perform a hard reset. And power up the phone without those cards.

tokoam
04-21-2005, 05:44 AM
I have had this problem a few times. But removing the battery. And then performing a hard reset has always fixed the problem.

Not sure if this would work. But remove the miniSD card and the SIM card. Then perform a hard reset. And power up the phone without those cards.

im afraid i already tryed that still no luck this is very disappointing..... is there a way i can possiably upgrade the firmware ? also looks like the blue tooth is enabled as its stuck on the windows screen the blue led light just flashes...

Mike Temporale
04-21-2005, 10:44 AM
You could upgrade the firmware, but there is nothing to upgrade it too. Audiovox/AT&T have not released an upgraded ROM for the phone.

You might want to make a warranty claim on it.

TValen
04-24-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm new to Smartphone Toughts and the forum. It is a business tool that I use heavily as a phone (with a Jabra bluetooth earphone) and for remote email. I am an engineer, but not a hobbiest with software, gadgets, and know-how.

After a great experience from mid - Nov thru mid - Apr with the 5600 with ATT now Cingular, I have the exact same problem others are describing. After completion of a call, went to use it again a few minutes later and it would not function. Tried a restart and it hung at the "Windows Mobile" screen. Blue-tooth flasher operates. Only other malfunction has been an occasional loud "squawk" rather than a ring.

Have used the forums to learn how to do the hard reset with and without the sim. Have had the battery out for long periods. Have repeated the hard reset a number of times, but results are the same - hung on Windows screen and blue flasher. I can charge via adapter or USB.

I tried to return to by calling Cingular/ATT Customer Service and they do not have in their Warranty program. Cingular (previously ATT) that I bought it from is no help. They suggest returning to Audiovox. I will try dealing with them next week. Do not have a phone number at this point.

Has anyone reached the stage of dealing with Audiovox? What do they say? Any suggestions on dealing with them?

I am sold on Smartphone and I do not want to give this one up.

Thanks

TV

Mike Temporale
04-25-2005, 01:07 AM
This is getting a little concerning. I had not heard of this before, and now we got 2 people with the same problem. :? I'm not sure what to suggest. :(

gai-jin
05-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Make that 3.

Haven't done a hard reset yet... just looking for the instructions now.

And, FWIW, I'm getting no help from cingular or ATT, both say I have to call audiovox directly. From what I've read on other forums, that's a nightmare... they're on back order for months on warranty replacements

gai-jin
05-12-2005, 02:13 AM
A hard reset, while painful, solved the problem.

SPPassion
05-13-2005, 03:03 PM
A hard reset, while painful, solved the problem.

Has anybody tried to check how much memory (RAM assigned to run the programs) is left? Most of the times, these hangups are caused by either running low on memory or opening too many programs at the same time. I would say, if program memory is running below 9 MB without any programs running (of course besides OS), you would probably have hangup problem again. I been thru this with Audiovox 5600, Moto MPX220 and on multiple pocket pc. Try to get rid of memory hogging files such as fancy homescreens and ringtones. Move some of the programs, files to memory card. Hope this helps. Another issue is memory leak. Some programs takes low memory when started but after running for few hours can "leak" lot of memory. If this is the case and you can't live without that particular program, try to turn the phone on/off every 3-4 hrs to clear the memory.

Mark Larson
05-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I would say, if program memory is running below 9 MB without any programs running (of course besides OS), you would probably have hangup problem again. I don't think my free memory ever goes above 9MB - I tend to be happy if its in the 4-5MB range without any apps running after a day or two of use.

Jerry Raia
05-14-2005, 12:36 AM
I haven't had to hard reset my phone yet (SMT5600 Cingular branded) but I have had to take the battery out a few times to get out of a lockup.

How does one hard reset this phone anyway?

SPPassion
05-14-2005, 02:48 AM
I haven't had to hard reset my phone yet (SMT5600 Cingular branded) but I have had to take the battery out a few times to get out of a lockup.

How does one hard reset this phone anyway?

1. Turn off the phone.
2. Press and hold both soft keys and push the power button for 1-2 seconds and let go while HOLDING both soft keys.
3. You will see on screen instructions. In most cases, it will ask you to push '0' and your phone will be reset to original factory setting.
Note: Needless to say, all the programs/data stored in the phone internal memory will be gone. Make sure you have backed up everything prior to going thru this process.

Somewhat similar results (to hard reset) can be acheived by going to:
Start>accessories>clear storage
It will "cold reboot" the phone. All data stored in the internal memory will be washed and phone will be reset to factory default setting.

Jerry Raia
05-14-2005, 04:39 AM
Thanks :) I'm still new to this phone. I hope I don't need to do either of those soon.

SPPassion
05-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Thanks :) I'm still new to this phone. I hope I don't need to do either of those soon.

I hope not either. That's why I bought Sprite back up program and I use it almost everyday on my pocket pc as well as SP. It's worth the investment as it has save me trouble of hard resetting, all the time spent to reconfigure handheld and frustration.