View Full Version : The incredible shrinking memory card

gai-jin
04-16-2005, 09:32 PM
I got my new 512 mini SD card wednesday. Yesterday I got an error when copying a 1mb audio file, telling me the card is full. at the time, file manager showed only 414mb on the card. Now i can't save a 50k picture on the card, even though i cleared space and now have only 314mb on the card. is it just me, or did i get a bad card?

Kris Kumar
04-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Really weird...

Do you have a card reader or a Pocket PC? Try using the card in one of those first.

gai-jin
04-16-2005, 10:21 PM
I do have a card reader... that's how I loaded this initially... dumped everything from my 256mb card to the pc, then to the 512 through the card reader.

Mike Temporale
04-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Did you format the card? If so, don't use FAT32, it should be FAT.

gai-jin
04-17-2005, 03:20 AM
Hmm... that may be it... I'll have to check that.

One thing that I think was going on, though not this exact problem... I had set media player to sync playlists of most recently played music... everytime I'd delete a few files then sync, I think it was copying more music over. So the music folder keeps growing.

Still doesn't explain why file manager shows 300ish MB and I'm getting storage full errors though.

:(

Kris Kumar
04-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Wonder if there is some kind of "Recycle Bin" on the the storage card? Which would explain why the storage is shrinking when you delete files or sync media files.

Jerry Raia
04-17-2005, 08:58 AM
This is exactly how my SanDisk card behaved before it died completely. For a while I could just read it on the phone. Then it was as dead as Julius Ceasar.

gai-jin
04-17-2005, 05:06 PM
This is a brand new 'Ridata' ultra gold or something like that. supposed to be a 66x card.

I've used Ridata dvd media for a while, and had great luck with it, so figured I'd try a mini SD from them.

I'll dump it to my pc to make sure I've got everything backed up, and try it for a couple more days to see if it's really a bad card or maybe just something I'm doing wrong, then Maybe send it back for an exchange.

Thanks
Gai-jin