View Full Version : Check out PocketController v5.0...includes SmartPhone capabilities

xultar
04-16-2005, 08:47 PM
It's out people. http://www.soti.net/default.asp?Cmd=Products&SubCmd=PCPro

Don't have a trusty cradle for your Smartphone? Don't bother. Put it up on your PC screen and control it directly from your PC. YES. 8O Believe me. If you loved it for your PocketPC you'll DROOL when you get it for your Smartphone! Tons of Smartphone skins included. Oh Did I forget to mention the synchronization of the clipboards! Copy and paste funcationality between the PC and Smartphone that works great for entering XML addys for feeds.

http://home.ripway.com/2003-11/38936/PocketController.jpg

Kris Kumar
04-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the update..

I had purchased the previous version, which wasn't truely Smartphone compatible. Will have to try this out. Looks cool, with the skins and everything.

Also the previous version used to slow down my phone, or eat up memory. I am hoping that they have fixed it now.

And I hope I can type in text. :-)

xultar
04-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Kris, works like a charm. The earlier version I couldn't get to work @ all. This one works like a charm, the copy paste, entering data.

What is kewl is that on the start menu you click the number on the skin to access the program. If you don't use the skin you press the number on the pc for the program you want to activate. Even the #9 for more works the same way press 9 on the skin or press #9 on your keyboard if you're not using the skin.

Kris Kumar
04-17-2005, 01:41 AM
Can you enter text directly? Like to type "kris", I can type it on the QWERTY keypad directly instead of the Numeric keypad?

I am waiting to see if they will issue me a new registration code for the upgrade.

xultar
04-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Can you enter text directly? Like to type "kris", I can type it on the QWERTY keypad directly instead of the Numeric keypad?

I am waiting to see if they will issue me a new registration code for the upgrade.

Yup and I did a copy paste. Hey, download the trial and give it a try.

Mike Temporale
04-17-2005, 02:09 AM
Sorry, I'm not following... Does this allow you to control your Smartphone from your desktop? Enter text, launch applications, etc... ???

Kris Kumar
04-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Does this allow you to control your Smartphone from your desktop?

Yes :-)

Jerry Raia
04-17-2005, 09:01 AM
I'd be affraid to try this with the MPx220. Somehow it would take over my PC and wipe it out. :worried:

xultar
04-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Sorry, I'm not following... Does this allow you to control your Smartphone from your desktop? Enter text, launch applications, etc... ???

Yes baby! I was scootin around my phone activating everything keying in my xml feeds, changing sounds etc.
IT works Great

xultar
04-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Here is an example in this photo, I navigated from my pc to the camera application. All I did was pick up the phone and press capture. But It is a photo of the phone in action from the pc. You can see the phone taking a picture of itself in acton on the PC. Oh yeah, you can also press capture using the mouse on the PC.

http://home.ripway.com/2003-11/38936/IMAGE_003.jpg

Mike Temporale
04-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Here is an example in this photo, I navigated from my pc to the camera application.

Oh, I see... In the image above I thought you just pasted a picture of your phone overtop. It's actually displayed on the computer screen. I'm following things now.

I could really use this. I hate setting up all my email accounts and shortcuts using the keypad.

Kris Kumar
04-17-2005, 09:20 PM
I hate setting up all my email accounts and shortcuts using the keypad.

That is why I had purchased the 4.x version. Which turned out to be an expensive screen capture tool. But this one is cool.

I am eagerly waiting for the upgrade code. I hope I get it.

xultar
04-17-2005, 09:57 PM
I hate setting up all my email accounts and shortcuts using the keypad.

That is why I had purchased the 4.x version. Which turned out to be an expensive screen capture tool. But this one is cool.

I am eagerly waiting for the upgrade code. I hope I get it.

I had the last version already for my PPC. It worked great. Then I downloaded the trial for SP and noticed that it didn't work @ all for SP.

v5 works WONDERS for SP and it still works for my PPC. I can get along with out a dock for my phone now cuz it's heads up on my PC screen.

xultar
04-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Here is an example in this photo, I navigated from my pc to the camera application.

Oh, I see... In the image above I thought you just pasted a picture of your phone overtop. It's actually displayed on the computer screen. I'm following things now.

I could really use this. I hate setting up all my email accounts and shortcuts using the keypad.

Slick ahe. Yup, that is the skin for the SMT5600 in Pocket Controller. Looks just like your phone sittin up there. All of the buttons on the skin work too just like they would on the phone. Wanna go left? Click the left side of the action button. Wanna activate #9 on the start menu. Press #9 on the skin or 9 on the keyboard of your PC. Wanna unlock your device after the device lock activates use your mouse and press unlock then either press the keys on the skin or enter the numbers from your PC keyboard. Then, press unlock on the skins screen.

8O I LOVE IT!!!

Mike Temporale
04-18-2005, 03:00 AM
v5 works WONDERS for SP and it still works for my PPC. I can get along with out a dock for my phone now cuz it's heads up on my PC screen.

So the one version works with both devices? You don't have to buy another copy for the other device?

Kris Kumar
04-18-2005, 03:06 AM

So the one version works with both devices? You don't have to buy another copy for the other device?

Yes. :)

xultar
04-18-2005, 03:32 AM

Unfortunately because there is a file or part of the program running on the device.

:really mad:

Mike Temporale
04-26-2005, 03:05 AM
I'm just playing with this now, and it looks lik eit doesn't see my mouse. I have to use the arrow keys to move around the phone. And, the skin doesn't look anything like yours. :(

I've just started to play with it, but it looks very good.

Kris Kumar
04-26-2005, 03:11 AM
Mouse? On the screen? :?

You can use the mouse. But you have to add a skin. You can use the mouse to click the joystick up down etc. And to press the softkeys. But it cannot be used on the screen (actually I have not tried).

Overall I just like the fact that I can enter text. I developing an app. So this acts as a "live" emulator for me. :-)

Mike Temporale
04-26-2005, 03:55 AM
I got it now. The Skin Selector was way off on the other side of the screen, and all I could find was the Skin Manager which allows you to download more, just not apply them. :?

It would be nice if I could click around the screen, but it's not a big deal. This works really nice. :D

Kris Kumar
04-26-2005, 04:06 AM
The Skin Selector was way off on the other side of the screen, and all I could find was the Skin Manager which allows you to download more, just not apply them. :?

Now that you remind me. I also did what you were doing. The skin interface is not intutive. But once you get it going, its great.

The software is pricey. I feel they should lower the price. And make truck load of money from more buyers. Rather than, lots of money from a few buyers. I am glad that my purchase was just within the 6 month period. So I could upgrade my older version. What a difference!

Mike Temporale
04-26-2005, 04:45 AM
It's much better with the Skin on, but getting it going is a little difficult.

You know, it really made the work I was doing tonight much easier and quicker. I'll have to add it to my must buy list. :mrgreen:

SassKwatch
05-05-2005, 02:20 AM
I'd be affraid to try this with the MPx220. Somehow it would take over my PC and wipe it out. :worried:

PC was one of the first apps I purchased for the MPX 220. And though it's a *little* slow reacting to typed text, I've found it VERY useful. Almost can't imagine using a Semi-Smartphone without it. And that's v4.12 (I think that's the one I currently have).

I have it on both my home pc and the desktop at work and do the LARGE majority of my data entry with it.

What I can't figure out w/ this new version is whether there's an upgrade path.

Kris Kumar
05-05-2005, 04:54 AM
What I can't figure out w/ this new version is whether there's an upgrade path.

I had the older version too. If you purchased the older version within the last six months, you are eligible for an upgrade. All you have to do is write to the support and request for a new registration key.

I save the email receipt for every software I purchase. I just forwarded that email to the support, requesting for the new key. ;-) And got one pronto!

Sven Johannsen
05-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Let me just verify. You can type text into a Smartphone field using the Qwerty keys?

I have had PC for a long time and sucked up their exhorbitant upgrade price on several occasions. My current upgrade is about 8 months old and I got it because the previous upgrade I bought had trouble with WM2003SE.

The current version I have seems to only allow me to use the number keys on my keyboard to emulate number keys on my phone. Better, but not like actually getting to type.

If the new version does actually let you use the alpha keys, I might have to suck up another 80% of the new price to upgrade.

This is unfortunately just too useful a program not to have. It just irritates me that they only allow 6 mo for upgrades, have often gone more than 6 mo between 0.x updates, and then charge 80% after that.

Kris Kumar
05-06-2005, 04:08 AM
Let me just verify. You can type text into a Smartphone field using the Qwerty keys?

Yes :-) In the latest version you are no longer restricted to just the number pad. The whole QWERTY key pad is at your finger tips. Now you can compose SMS messages. Type in registration info, settings etc using the PC keyboard. It gets replicated on to the Smartphone. :-)

This is unfortunately just too useful a program not to have. It just irritates me that they only allow 6 mo for upgrades, have often gone more than 6 mo between 0.x updates, and then charge 80% after that.

I agree, 6 months is too small a period. Plus this app is super expensive compared to other Smartphone apps.

I felt stupid when I purchased the previous version months ago and found that the text typing does not work. Glad that I got the upgrade. 80% is steep. :twisted:

SassKwatch
05-06-2005, 04:36 AM

Yes :-) In the latest version you are no longer restricted to just the number pad. The whole QWERTY key pad is at your finger tips.

I've been using v4.12 since purchasing the MPX220 in Jan, and qwerty based typing has been functional the entire time.....albeit there was a couple second delay between the typing of a character and it actually appearing on the 220.

Agree re: the too short upgrade time. Got hung up on that and just missed a free upgrade a couple yr ago when I was just using if for the iPAQ.

Kris Kumar
05-07-2005, 01:47 AM
I've been using v4.12 since purchasing the MPX220 in Jan, and qwerty based typing has been functional the entire time.....albeit there was a couple second delay between the typing of a character and it actually appearing on the 220.

Hmm...I don't think I could ever get it to accept the text input. :? I guess it was a user error then. :oops: