View Full Version : noob movie question w/ the smt5600

dmt
04-11-2005, 05:07 PM
sorry if this is a noob question, but I've searched and haven't found the answer yet.

WMP doesn't recognize mpg's after I've transfered them onto the phone w/ activesync>File>explore.

what formats can WMP10.0 read? do I need to convert them to wmv's? of the same size?

I'm new at this (just activated the 5600 last friday) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

btw. I'm thinking of buying xbar and homescreen designer and I was wondering if xbar's features might be redundant (i.e., homescreen designer may also have some of the same features such as temp, etc.)

Mike Temporale
04-11-2005, 06:47 PM
btw. I'm thinking of buying xbar and homescreen designer and I was wondering if xbar's features might be redundant (i.e., homescreen designer may also have some of the same features such as temp, etc.)

Think of xbar as an enhanced Task Manager application, and think of Homescreen Designer as WindowBlinds type app. :D

Mike Temporale
04-11-2005, 06:49 PM
what formats can WMP10.0 read? do I need to convert them to wmv's? of the same size?

Good question. I've never really played with video on my phone. It's one of those things I've been wanting to get too, but I just haven't the free time as of late. :(

dmt
04-11-2005, 11:39 PM
I've never really played with video on my phone. It's one of those things I've been wanting to get too, but I just haven't the free time as of late. :(

i know what you mean, you can spend hours messing w/ this thing... maybe I shouldn't get xbar and HSD.... :wink:

dmt
04-18-2005, 08:48 PM
anybody?

Mark Larson
04-19-2005, 12:04 AM
anybody? I just sync my video and audio with the SMT-5600 via Windows Media Player on the desktop. I think it converts all videos to wmv and drastically reduces file size. You might want to look into that. Syncing is enabled in WMP by downloading Plus! pack from the Microsoft Smartphone site. The file name is PlusPAD.exe I believe.

dmt
04-19-2005, 12:21 AM
thanks!!! it worked. but wmp doesn't use the full screen. i'd say it wastes 1/3 of the tota larea w/ a blank border. has anybody figured out how to use the FULL screen?

algorhythm
06-20-2005, 05:20 AM
Okay, I'd LOVE to hear from someone who knows how to successfully get movies onto their smartphone. I've messed with this several times, first with my iPaq and now my 5600, and I always hit a wall.

I tried DVD2PPC....never got it to work.

Now I've tried the routine suggested on this page: http://percontifamily.com/speedzone/

All works fine until I get to WinMedia Encoder 9, converting my AVI's to WMV....I always get an invalid codec message. I run the MS checkup utility, and it finds "Intervideo Decoder ivivideo.ax incompativle with WMP10." Only my PC has WMP9.

Maybe I'm just being stoopid here, but it just seems to me this process shouldn't be so $#%&^ difficult....?!?

HalM
06-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Mark, I found PlusPAD.EXE as you suggested but it must be generic for M3P players. There is no association for Smartphones that I can find. I have also spent some time on the MS Smartphone downloads page with no joy there either. Any ideas where to find the version for Smartphones?

Thanks.

Rocco Augusto
06-22-2005, 02:59 AM
when i convert movies to my smartphone i do all my converting in virtualdub. i have a pre-saved template that i load when opening virtualdub, open the file, save someone on my computer, transfer to smartphone. very quick and painless and gives you more control over your movies instead of using pocketdivx or wmv.

write now as i write this im watching last sundays 'family guy' because i been so busy working i didnt get a chance to sit down and watch it :)

i play my movies through betaplayer. its free and if you have a smartphone you should have that downloaded to your phone... thats mandatory ;)

-opti-

algorhythm
06-22-2005, 03:49 AM
Okay, I tried Virtualdub (which looks great)...tried to convert the AVI file I'd extracted from a DVD. I get the message:
"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'vifp' (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by WMP, are not suitable."

Any ideas? Do I need to extract the video differently from DVD somehow? And why is codec a four-letter word? :evil:

Rocco Augusto
06-22-2005, 04:08 AM
if you were trying to extract a dvd you might want to check out this review.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3193

i have heard mixed reviews about this program but it seems to get the job done with the least amount of hassel. i usually extract my dvds to xvid for my media server/htpc (home theater pc) and then convert them again to smartphone format when i wanna take them with me on the go.

-opti-

EDIT: for info about converting dvd to xvid point your browser to www.doom9.org. best media conversion reference site on the net ;)

algorhythm
06-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the links. Hopefully I can figure this out before my brain turns to mud....