View Full Version : RFID in SD Cards for Smartphones

Mike Temporale
04-05-2005, 12:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cr80news.com/library/2005/04/03/rfid-in-sd-cards/' target='_blank'>http://www.cr80news.com/library/2005/04/03/rfid-in-sd-cards/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A Calgary, Alberta, Canada company has offered up new technology that will allow smartphones and personal digital assistants to serve as RFID readers/writers. The new card will also offer Near Field Communication (NFC) compatibility. It is, the company claims, the first RFID reader/writer SD (secure digital) card in the industry. According to Wireless Dynamics' March announcement, its SDiD card will allow smartphones and PDAs to double as portable RFID terminals. The card integrates RFID functionality into the existing computing power and connectivity of PDAs and smartphones. RFID tag information can be communicated in real-time through WiFi, CDMA, GSM or Bluetooth connections."</i><br /><br />I found this part particularly interesting: <i>"...SDiD card would allow PDA and Smartphone users to access product information or entertainment content such as pictures, music and video clips by waving their mobile devices in front of a smart poster or kiosk."</i> Although, I don't really know why this could not be done with plain old Bluetooth, but that's besides the point. It's the general idea that rocks. Imagine waving your phone outside of your local music store and having it automatically download a list of future releases, or new releases along with audio samples. Or what about home shopping? Wouldn't it be great to instantly gather all the information on a property by just waving your phone at a little kiosk after you've walked through the property. The future is so cool... 8)

brntcrsp
04-06-2005, 05:06 AM
part of the issue with bluetooth is the fact that devices must establish a pairing, whereas RFID is a very passive technology, that consumes 0 power on the part of the tag. Having played with a couple applications of RFID, I think that it has a larger roll to play than Bluetooth will have for identification and simple data transmission.

NullReference
04-06-2005, 01:48 PM
To add to what brntcrsp said, RFID is a new standard for merchandise tagging. The vision is that ALL merchandise will have an RFID tag which will greatly improve inventory mangement and warehousing tasks. If this happens (and it almost definitely will), then I don't see why you would need a special display or kiosk. That sounds interesting, but I wonder what will actually be possible with this technology. Imagine the ability to do comparison shopping... wirelessly detect everything in your shopping cart and search online for the cheapest prices.

Mike Temporale
04-06-2005, 02:30 PM
part of the issue with bluetooth is the fact that devices must establish a pairing, whereas RFID is a very passive technology

Good point. I forgot about the pairing with BT devices. And, as NullReference pointed out, we won't really need a kiosk. So I could wave my phone at any shirt, or gadget in a store and have all the details downloaded. Comparison shopping will never be the same! :D

Mark Larson
04-06-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't want to wake any of you from your dream, but you can be DAMN SURE that retailers won't let RFID tags work for the benefit of customes - downloading all the details of an item and searching online for the cheapest price? Not gonna happen.

A more likely scenario is tracking your cart as you move through the store and pass RFID detectors. This'll help retailers lay merchandise so that you have to pass through more aisles, just like how essentials are at the back of any grocery store, etc.