View Full Version : Best way to get a "Push" type email experience with a smartphone?

gai-jin
04-04-2005, 02:16 AM
I have an audiovox 5600 on Cingular.

on my old phone, I had all email forwarded as SMS. That gave me the first few lines, from which I could get the basics and decide whether I needed to go to a PC to read further. Every day or two, I'd click 'cleanup' and it would delete all the SMS from my phone.

Since there doesn't seem to be a 'delete all' option for Text messages, this makes it more of a hassle to do it that way.

With my old verizon phone, I had sync software that allowed wireless sync, over the cell network. Is there any way to do this with my smartphone, to have it sync w/ my home pc wirelessly?

I'd set up the smartphone client to check my Gmail account, but would still have to delete all the messages periodically, right? Is there a way to set the smartphone to only save 3 days of emails or such?

Thanks
The Smartphone Newbie

gai-jin
04-05-2005, 09:19 PM
FWIW, I think I've found the best solution so far...

I've set the smartphone mail client to check an IMAP account every 15 minutes. in theory, this will get email to me without TOO much of a delay, but also without the hassle of clearing the mailbox every few days, right? (i set it to only get today's messages... i assume it'll remove older messages from memory?)

gai-jin