View Full Version : In Mobile Computing, Size Matters

Jerry Raia
03-22-2005, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/story/0,10801,100465,00.html?source=x68' target='_blank'>http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/story/0,10801,100465,00.html?source=x68</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Conventional wisdom about mobile computing says that end users are willing to carry only one device. This belief has led vendors to race to create the perfect single product. The problem with converged devices, though, is that they require compromises on functionality, and in fact the single-device notion is more myth than reality. Based on a recent JupiterResearch consumer survey, we know that while users prefer to carry only one device when that is possible, they are actually willing to carry up to three, based on contextual circumstance."</i><br /><br />Sometimes I carry four devices. Personally I used to care more about this than I do now. If I need to have two or three devices with me so be it. Besides it gives me more toys to play with when I have down time. :)

ARW
03-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I moved from a PPC to Smartphone because I didn't want to drag along two devices. For me the Smartphone does everything I need, unless I need to accomplish real work. For that I bring along a laptop.

The abilities of a PPC are not enough greater than a Smartphone for me to warrant that as an option. I can make do with the input shortcomings of the Smartphone for a time if I don't need to do real work. That said, if a bluetooth keyboard were an option (read VZW sucks for anything beyond a good network) I'd probably take one of those along if I wasn't travelling super light. It would be a way to do real email at least.

xultar
03-22-2005, 07:25 PM
I AGREE!

At first I didn't jump on the smartphone craze because I didn't wanna give up my PPC. I don't like the PPC phone because I don't like to be required to use a headest and I don't like holding a big old 3x5 phone up to my face. (it musses my makeup :wink:)

I carry my laptop, my PPC, and my phone. Not to mention my itty bitty mp3 and HS850.

So I don't mind carrying multiple devices as long as they look REALLY FREAKING COOL and they are as small as possible (reasonably small without compromising functionality, style, and quality).

Mike Temporale
03-22-2005, 08:02 PM
I used to carry more, but I'm really starting to cut back. I've even started to leave my Pocket PC at home. :worried:

What's that phrase... one device to rule them all. :lol:

Santa Fe
03-22-2005, 09:41 PM
One device is the goal for me and thanks to the Smartphone I'm almost there except when I need a GPS.

xultar
03-22-2005, 10:38 PM
I used to carry more, but I'm really starting to cut back. I've even started to leave my Pocket PC at home. :worried:

What's that phrase... one device to rule them all. :lol:

SAY IT AIN'T SO JOE...I mean Mike.

I can't read my eBooks on my smartphone. too small