View Full Version : The Benefit of QVGA (320 x 240) Screens for Windows Mobile Smartphones

Jerry Raia
03-21-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2295' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2295</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Since the introduction of Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, also Microsoft's Smartphone version supports an increased screen resolution than the originally introduced 220 x 176 pixel display. However, so far everything was theory because phones with the supported QVGA format (320 x 240 which is also used by most of today's Pocket PCs) aren't commercially in the market yet. Nevertheless, we can expect them soon because two phones (the SDA II and SDA II Music) were announced by T-Mobile last week as well as some information of a new Orange Smartphone (so called SPV C550) leaked some weeks ago. All three devices are expected to support QVGA - finally."</i><br /><br />There are some screen shots here worth looking at too. I think this brings up another issue, that being the convergence of the Pocket PC, the Pocket PC Phone and the Smartphone. The distinction between them continues to shrink. Even Microsoft is calling all of the OS versions "Windows Mobile".

cmorris
03-22-2005, 12:24 AM
that being the convergence of the Pocket PC, the Pocket PC Phone and the Smartphone.

I agree they're getting closer, but as Smartphones have moved to QVGA, PPC's have moved to VGA. :) I can see Smartphone applications being compatible w/ PPC's (once PPCs get the softkeys like SP in WM2005). But making PPC apps work on SP are a whole other story.

As for the branding, I think that's just a smart move to avoid names like "Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Smartphones" in the future. :lol:

Those QVGA screens do look nice though. Should be interesting to see what else the next-gen phones have in store to tempt me away from my Typhoon.

stevew
03-22-2005, 02:03 AM
Something needs to be done to drastically improve text input on future smartphones before I can move completely away from a PPCPhone. For play a smartphone is perfect. For work I still need a PPCPhone.

Mike Temporale
03-22-2005, 02:14 AM
If you're doing a lot of text entry, then Smartphones just aren't as good as the Pocket PC, unless of course you get a Bluetooth keyboard. ;)

Bacco
03-22-2005, 02:45 AM
...unless of course you get a Bluetooth keyboard. ;)

Well put Mike. And, once you have one you can use it for your next phone as well :wink:

Jerry, those new screens look great. Can't wait for those phones. I spend over 2 hours a day surfing the web on my phone (yeah I have a long train ride). So a large screen with a better resolution would be wonderful :)

Posted while on that train ride :D

Jonathon Watkins
03-22-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm looking forward to this increase in usability. 8)

That C550 is sure looking good! :P

Mike Temporale
03-22-2005, 11:48 AM

Well put Mike. And, once you have one you can use it for your next phone as well :wink:

Ah... The beauty of Bluetooth. I really wish someone would make a bluetooth thumb board. Just a little keyboard about the size of the iPAQ 4150 detachable keyboard. Stuff it with bluetooth, and some Windows Mobile drivers and then ANY Smartphone or Pocket PC will have a thumbboard available to it. :mrgreen:

Jerry Raia
03-22-2005, 05:21 PM

Ah... The beauty of Bluetooth. I really wish someone would make a bluetooth thumb board. Just a little keyboard about the size of the iPAQ 4150 detachable keyboard. Stuff it with bluetooth, and some Windows Mobile drivers and then ANY Smartphone or Pocket PC will have a thumbboard available to it. :mrgreen:

Now that is a great idea!

Mike Temporale
03-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Now that is a great idea!

Oh ya, I'm full of them!

Mr.Phil
03-22-2005, 06:15 PM
And to think I have been using a full thumbpad on my Voq phone for almost a year :D True, you don't know what you are missing without a thumbpad. Things like email and messenger become very VERY useable. Bluetooth thumbpad is a great idea, but then I would have to haul around another small device... hmmm.

As to QVGA screens, this is a great step up for anyone who does more than make phone calls. Just hoping most Smartphone s/w is forward/backward compatible with the new screen size.

Mike Temporale
03-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Bluetooth thumbpad is a great idea, but then I would have to haul around another small device... hmmm.

Well, not you. You already have a keyboard built in. ;)

03-23-2005, 04:32 PM

How about a Sidekick-type device with Windows Mobile?

On-screen keyboard and stylus will never do it for me, I feel like one of those people who build tiny ships inside bottles.

Newsboy
03-28-2005, 05:49 PM
This is one of the things keeping me away from SmartPhones (for now), the low screen resolution. I've been spoiled for the past year by the Toshiba VM4050 (from Sprint), which has a 310x350 pixel screen. It also has a glossy screen finish, and amazing sharpness and contrast. The blacks are incredibly dark, as opposed to most of the color screen phones I've seen out there which have somewhat muted colors and grey scales.

The closest thing I've seen to the VM4050's display is Sony's TruBrite technology on their laptops. I just wish I could get this display in a SmartPhone. That'd be an instant sale for me.