View Full Version : Newbie question?

Ralrashid
03-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Hello All!!

I am a current Sprint user (Sprint phones don't use SIM) but would like to get a new SMT5600 and switch to Cingular. If I buy a SMT5600 that is already unlocked or unlock one myself, how do I get a Cingular SIM card? Will I have to purchase a cheap Cingular phone in order to get a SIM card? Will any cheap phone work? Is there any easier way? Thanks for all your help!!

Roger A.

Vuvision
03-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Hello All!!

I am a current Sprint user (Sprint phones don't use SIM) but would like to get a new SMT5600 and switch to Cingular. If I buy a SMT5600 that is already unlocked or unlock one myself, how do I get a Cingular SIM card? Will I have to purchase a cheap Cingular phone in order to get a SIM card? Will any cheap phone work? Is there any easier way? Thanks for all your help!!

Roger A.

If you have your own phone already, you don't even need to sign onto a long term contract with Cingular. But I did with T-mobile for 1 yr just to get the free phone & rebate, plus the all important activated SIM card.

But to answer your question, the phone itself is irrelevant whether it's the cheapest or most fancy. The SIM card is what you really sign up for, and it is the brain of any GSM phone.

Good luck

Ralrashid
03-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Robert,

Thanks for the PM. One last question, is the SMT5600 that Amazon is selling for $349 with NO service plan an unlocked phone or is it still locked to AT&T? Thanks again!!

Vuvision
03-20-2005, 07:58 PM
The SMT5600 from Amazon is locked to AT&T. You will need to unlock the phone to use on other carriers. Another source for the SMT5600 is on ebay, this is where I got mine for much less. But I hear that the remaining pool for the SMT5600 is shrinking, and price for this phone has risen sharply as late. Law of supply & demand applies once again :wink: .

Which ever carrier you choose, below linkies contain some helpful info.

Go HERE (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7775) for Cingular setup

Go HERE (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6743&start=10) for T-Mobile setup

Mark Larson
03-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Roger, I would recommend doing this:

1. Go to Amazon.com for the best deal on a Cingular phone.
2. Go to ebay or any forum to sell the phone you got from Amazon.
3. Buy an unlocked Audiovox from ebay or any forum.
4. Send in the rebates for the Cingular phone and enjoy your new Smartphone!