View Full Version : Any suggestions?

JerryP2375
03-17-2005, 06:03 AM
I have been looking & looking over & over for a convergence device that I will actually be happy with. I thought the MPx220 would fill the void but with the issues arising with the time & date malfunctions I feel that I cannot commit to it. For me the perfect device would have a Treo 650 form factor & usability with the MS platform. However, to date that just doesn't exist. So until then, I would like to ask for some suggestions to bridge the gap. I will list what my needs are and lemme know what you think. (No PDAs w/ integrated phone, ie. SX66)

1. Email access to yahoo & verizon.net dsl
2. Ability to use on Cingular network.
3. A browser with full web access, not just to mobile sites.
4. Ability to open/view word docs.
5. Reliable datebook/calendar/appointment alerts.
6. A speakerphone that I can actually put the phone down and still use from 4ft away, ie. in the car.
7. A normal keypad layout, that I could use without looking.

Qwerty keyboard and touch screen are definite pluses but not essential. I also do not want to spend over the $400-$450 range.

JerryP2375
03-18-2005, 03:18 AM
:cry: thanks alot, i noticed that i got 14 lookers, but no suggestions...i thought it would be a good idea of registering to be able to ask the advice of people that have actually used & experienced a few smartphones...c'mon people gimme something to work with here. thanks

Santa Fe
03-18-2005, 04:04 AM
All smartphones (all electronic devices?) are compromises. It is difficult for anyone else to assess which features are best for any other person. That said most smartphones with the appropriate 3rd party software can do most of what you want. There is a rumor of a Treo with Windows smartphone software that you might want to check out. http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000030035535/

I have what is now a probably soon to be outdated phone, the Samsung i600 from Verizon, but with the software I have added it does most of what I want. And it fits your budget. And it will take a significant upgrade in features for me to part with it.

JerryP2375
03-18-2005, 04:53 AM
how about that audiovox SMT5600? Does anyone know if it has a full web browser?

Mike Temporale
03-18-2005, 05:19 AM
All Windows Mobile Smartphones have the same browser - Pocket IE. There are other options, but most will cost you some money. Apps like Thunderhawk, Skweezer, or Opera are all aiming to extend or improve upon the existing browser.

Mike Temporale
03-18-2005, 05:21 AM
I have what is now a probably soon to be outdated phone, the Samsung i600 from Verizon, but with the software I have added it does most of what I want. And it fits your budget. And it will take a significant upgrade in features for me to part with it.

Another device to consider would be the Voq. It has a keyboard, sells for around $400 or $500, and isn't PDA based.