View Full Version : Motorola iTunes Phone Delayed by Apple

Jason Dunn
03-16-2005, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.betanews.com/article/Motorola_Apple_Delaying_iTunes_Phone/1110990907' target='_blank'>http://www.betanews.com/article/Motorola_Apple_Delaying_iTunes_Phone/1110990907</a><br /><br /></div><i>"It's Apple fault, says Motorola. At least that is the reason Ron Garriques, president of Motorola's mobile phone division, gave reporters Tuesday at the CTIA Wireless conference in New Orleans over the iTunes phone delay. Garriques said that his company and Apple have two different strategies for releasing products. Motorola likes to show off its innovations early on, while Apple is notoriously tight-lipped about products up until their launch."</i><br /><br />Not much news on this product, but it's typical Apple - and Motorola had better hope nothing serious leaks about this phone or ol' Stevie will blow a gasket and likely cancel the whole project. :roll:

xultar
03-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Well Apple knows probably like we all know, that Moto's products over the past few years have been pretty crappy.

It takes a while to fix the foundational issues that Moto has going on right now. There was a story about the new Moto CEO going to Nextel CEO and getting an ear full about Moto QA problems.

So, I'd understand if Apple is holding out for the best. I personally will never purchase another Moto handset after the disasters I've had of late.

Janak Parekh
03-17-2005, 01:04 AM
So, I'd understand if Apple is holding out for the best.
Agreed, and Jason, while you may not like it Apple has benefited greatly from the tight-lipped approach -- it makes their PR events that much more multiplied.

--janak

Jason Dunn
03-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Agreed, and Jason, while you may not like it Apple has benefited greatly from the tight-lipped approach -- it makes their PR events that much more multiplied.

Nah, it's the cult atmosphere and Jobs, not a PR strategy that makes them successful.

cdcooker
03-17-2005, 02:26 AM
Cellphone + mobile digital media player is still in the early stage, I don't know why no other online music stores try hard to capture it before iTunes dominates it. It is make it or break it time for the rest of online music stores, are they sleeping right now or what? Where is MSN Music for Windows Smartphones?

Kris Kumar
03-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Nah, it's the cult atmosphere and Jobs....

I agree.

And it's amazing what Jobs has done on $1 paycheck.

Mike Temporale
03-17-2005, 03:41 AM

Don't be fooled. Sure his paycheck may only be $1, but I'm sure his bonus and stock options are a lot more. ;)

Kris Kumar
03-17-2005, 03:49 AM

Don't be fooled. Sure his paycheck may only be $1, but I'm sure his bonus and stock options are a lot more. ;)

I think last year he didn't get any. He refused it.

But he owns or runs Pixar Studios, which is a big money maker. So I am sure he can afford to have no pay. :roll:

Kris Kumar
03-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Don't mean to derail this thread...but here is the news report on Jobs $1 paycheck. (http://www.reuters.com/audi/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&amp;storyID=7909766)

Wonder how much Ed Zander makes for doing a lousy QA on the new products.

ricksfiona
03-17-2005, 06:08 AM
You really have to hand it to Jobs. Yes, there's the cult thing going over at Apple, but who can blame them especially for the especially awesome products they've come out ever since the original iMAC.

Yes, he's rich. But it's all about the love of the company and products he's doing this. He probably has a small army of assistants that he doles out orders to have carried out, so I'm sure he's not working that much more than the average board member.

It also says something more too. With the stocks he got in 2003 and his current holdings in the company, he's saying "I'm so confident our products will rock, the stock will fly and I'll be making more than enough money". How many people have that much confidence in their company?

I consider Apple to be on the cutting edge of Consumer electronics. They've made some much needed changes happen to our computing environment, especially with making technology more friendly and fashionable. The computers they come out with have just been absolutely beautiful. Everyone else is just trying to keep up with them right now.

No, I dont own any Apple stock. Yet.

Janak Parekh
03-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Nah, it's the cult atmosphere and Jobs, not a PR strategy that makes them successful.
I'd have agreed for Apple pre-iPod, but that's only part of it now. Lots of people I know buy iPods because that's the only music player they know of. Part of that is because of their impressive PR. I've watched several videos of Jobs speaking at Apple events -- he's a very impressive presenter, not just a "cult leader".

--janak

yslee
03-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Indeed. This is getting OT, but I recently saw an old clip of him unveiling the first Mac. Even then he had this knack for showmanship.

Kris Kumar
03-19-2005, 05:01 AM
I've watched several videos of Jobs speaking...

Admit it Janak, you are in the cult too. :lol: :wink:

Janak Parekh
03-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Admit it Janak, you are in the cult too. :lol: :wink:
Not quite yet. ;) Once Tiger comes out, I'm seriously thinking of getting a Powerbook -- at which point you'd be totally in your rights to accuse me of having drunk the Kool-Aid.

(Then of course, Windows is its own form of Kool-Aid. :lol:)

--janak