View Full Version : Live TV on your Phone Enters Testing in Finland

Mike Temporale
03-09-2005, 03:15 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=4173' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=4173</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Digita, Elisa, MTV, Nelonen, Nokia, Sonera and YLE (the Finnish Broadcasting Company) are running a mobile TV pilot in Finland. The companies are testing mobile TV services and consumer experiences, as well as the underlying technology, with 500 users in the capital region, Helsinki. Selected from Sonera and Elisa mobile phone customers, the test users are able to view real-time TV and radio programs on a Nokia 7710 smartphone equipped with a special accessory to receive mobile TV broadcasts."</i><br /><br />As I've said before, I'm not much of a fan of Live TV on my phone. I'm sure that some of you are, and that there might just be a market for this, although I think it's still extremely small. I wish they would spend their money on better networks, data transfer rates, or possibly handset R&amp;D. :(

Bacco
03-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Mike...none of us will be a fan of every new product or development for the SmartPhone. The important thing is the continued varied evolutionary developments. We all benefit from them ultimately.

But speaking of live TV, I would have loved to see the Chelsea Barcerona game yesterday. But, there's always replay. :?

vincenzosi
03-09-2005, 04:13 PM
As I've said before, I'm not much of a fan of Live TV on my phone. I'm sure that some of you are, and that there might just be a market for this, although I think it's still extremely small. I wish they would spend their money on better networks, data transfer rates, or possibly handset R&amp;D. :(

I'm telling you, as someone in the industry, there is very little demand for TV / Video services on a phone. At least right now.

The fact that Verizon is spending millions on its Vcast technology is proof that the demand isn't that great and they're trying to "drum it up."

If only the carriers listened to the people and provided:

1. Smaller handsets at more affordable prices.
2. Faster data rates.
3. More reliable reception.
4. Better battery life.

That's it. Of course, those "evolutions" are coming ridiculously slowly. Now, the one thing people do seem to want is music playback. Where are all the music phones we were supposed to have?

I just don't understand it. I work in the industry and when these people come talk to me about new handsets, I always ask: Can it play MP3's? Some of them go, "No, but it'll take twenty different kinds of pictures with fun frames, color tints, and so on! That's cool!"

Ugh.

Clueless, they are.