View Full Version : i600 Newbie Question

Scott Peck
03-03-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm a new user of the i600, and was able to upgrade the OS to Windows Mobile 2003. I only have about 200 contacts in my phone. I am not to happy with the find function of the contacts list and I hope that I'm doing something wrong so as to improve my search capabilities.

My old LG phone was great for searching. One button to enter the contact screen, alpha key to the letter (First letter of the last name) and scroll to my contact and call. The alpha key search is what I'm missing. For example: To find Smith,John I could press the 7 key four times to enter the S's. to find Kellog,Julie the 5 key twice. etc etc.

On the i600 this method is not the same???? I am confused as to the search method. It appears to search not only the Last name, but the first name as well. I would prefer just a last name or First position search.
Can I configure the phone to only search the LAST NAMES?? or could someone please explain how to search more efficiently.

I know I'm doing something wrong, or possibly just confused. I'm doing way to much scrolling for my tastes. Please help !!!

ARW
03-03-2005, 07:09 PM
I don't believe you can search as you're describing. That said, the way Smartphone handles name searching in Contacts is far faster than what you're describing. Within the Contacts app just key in either the first or last name and you'll get to the name you're after far faster than the method you used to use.

This speed differential will only increase with the more contacts you add. After using this functionality a bit you'll realize that searching for the name that is less common within your contacts will enhance the speed of your search.

Scott Peck
03-03-2005, 11:12 PM
There is no way to key in the name to search? If I attempt to key in using the standard alpha method of the numeric keypad, it does not allow me to type in a name. Again, four 7's to get to the S, the screen reads: No Matches 777 ??????? Should I be in T9 mode?? Which I have never used?

The only way it appears at this time to search my contacts is to get close with the first alpha letter on a numeral key, and then scroll. Very clunky.
Could someone please offer an alternate suggestion.

Santa Fe
03-04-2005, 02:24 AM
When I first got my i600 I went through the same thing. Forget about alpha. Just type the first few letters of your contacts as you would normally spell something until the one you want comes up. For example type smi and all the smiths come up. Or if you want Bob Smith just type bobs. It is very fast and you will never look back.

Mike Temporale
03-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Hey Scott, I don't think you're understanding what ARW is saying.

To search for a contact with the name MIKE. Open contacts, or from your home screen press the keypad button coresponding to the letter you are looking for. Only press the key once regardless of the letters position on the key. So pressing 6453 will search your contacts for anything with letters matching 6(MNO) 4(GHI) 5(JKL) 3(DEF).

Try it out. It's very powerful.

Scott Peck
03-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Your right Mike, I was confused.

:D THANK YOU for explaining

They should put this info in the user guide !!