View Full Version : Which smartphone is best to link up with a pc

cellu_girl
03-02-2005, 11:02 AM
I like my 220, but I am interested in getting a sony 910, but it uses symbian, I don't want to move away from microsoft, but does it really make a big differance? I am interested in your opinions
thanks

Mike Temporale
03-02-2005, 11:40 AM
In my expereince, nothing sync's with your PC better than a Windows Mobile device. I've had a Palm handheld along with more than a couple Sony Ericcson and nokia phones and they all suck for syncing with your PC. Now, I've never used the SE 910, but I don't expect anything different. :)

cellu_girl
03-02-2005, 11:45 AM
thanks mike, so do you like the 220 or the new 300, or another windows smartphone, I have only dealt with motorola so I dont know what else is out there.

Mike Temporale
03-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Well, the 300 (MPx) isn't out yet. Soon hopefully, but not yet. I find the MPx a little too thick for me. It looks great, but the small amount of memory combined with how thick it is, just doesn't appeal to me.

I don't own a MPx220. I have seen one and held it in my hand, but that's the extent of it. It's a very nice looking phone, but I can't comment on any of the issues that it has had or is still having. :wink:

There is also the Audiovox SMT5600. It's a candybar style phone. In other countries it is being sold under different names, but Audiovox is the company in the US that's selling it. This is what I'm using.

Kris Kumar
03-02-2005, 01:07 PM
In the distant past, I have used SE, BlackBerry and Handspring devices, and have found that Microsoft ActiveSync was way ahead of the pack.

In the last year or so, I have not played with them. :-) But I am sure that Microsoft still has an edge (partly because of the fact that it owns the Smartphone/Pocket PC platform and on the desktop the Outlook/Exchange software, hence making it easy to have the best sync ;-)

Jerry Raia
03-02-2005, 04:35 PM
The MPx220 has finally reached the state it should have been in the day it came out. At this point in time I would wait for the next version of Windows Mobile before I did anything.

cellu_girl
03-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks alot you guys are great! I was thinking about getting the mpx 300 from e-bay, I have had alright experiencee wth them.

Mike Temporale
03-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks alot you guys are great! I was thinking about getting the mpx 300 from e-bay, I have had alright experiencee wth them.

I wouldn't do that. Since it's not released yet, you would be buying a pre-production model. So the OS would not be finalized - meaning it would be running debugging code and possibly be full of bugs. There would be little chance of getting a final ROM too.

Jerry Raia
03-02-2005, 05:40 PM

I wouldn't do that. Since it's not released yet, you would be buying a pre-production model. So the OS would not be finalized - meaning it would be running debugging code and possibly be full of bugs. There would be little chance of getting a final ROM too.

I agree and even if you are interested in an older model phone I would still hold off to see which ones might be upgradeable to the 2005 version of the mobile OS.

skibee
03-03-2005, 07:42 PM
I also agree -- I wouldn't recommend buying the MPx until its officially out. Seems a bit too risky.

As far as complaints about the memory -- seems silly to me when you can just pick up a 1 GB SD card.

the 32MB of RAM should work great for normal use.

Vuvision
03-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Take a look at the Siemens SX66 running on Pocket PC OS.

http://212.213.255.72/keepthls/bigpic/sisx66.gif

Click HERE (http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=846&idPhone1=992) for the side by side comparo between the SX66 & SE 910

skibee
03-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Its nice, but its huge.

one of the best features of the MPx is its size and shape.

mbranscum
03-04-2005, 11:38 PM
So far I haven't seen any responses from people who actually have used a Symbian device. I have an Mpx220 also, but right now I'm carrying my Nokia 6620 which is Symbian. Symbian, seems to me, to sync flawlessly with Outlook using the free download, Nokia PC Suite. You can even have it autosync like MS sync.

I personally feel the OS in Symbian is much more stable + the Nokia phones just can't be beat. True, MS mobile is very young and I think it will be a great system, by the Symbian alternative is very attractive. For a more "one sided" view of the other side, :wink: visit a Symbian dedicated site such as www.my-symbian.com

I just think it's great that we have all these phones to choose from now! Especially in the US.

cellu_girl
03-05-2005, 02:52 AM
I heard that the symbian systems were sensitive to viruses is that true?
because I was considering the SE p910 as my ppcpe device, however the most important thing to me is how well it links w/ windows and microsoft applications

Jerry Raia
03-05-2005, 05:36 AM
I heard that the symbian systems were sensitive to viruses is that true?

I think they were just the first ones hit.