View Full Version : Gmail POP3 Access, Cingular, SMT5600

BadRap
02-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Ok here's the deal...

I have POP3 access enabled in Gmail. From my phone I can send email using smtp.gmail.com no problem. However, I can not recieve mail using pop.gmail.com. For now I am forwarding my gmail to a different POP3 server. So my settings on my phone point to the other POP3 server and use smtp.gmail.com as my outoing server. The problem with this is that mail in my gmail inbox still appears "Unread" even though I have read it.

Has anyone else had any success using gmails incoming server? Does anyone have a suggestions?

TIA

GravityArc
02-27-2005, 08:49 PM
I had to do the same thing with my mail. I spent about a week trying every combination of settings before giving up on Gmail with my SMT5600. Like you I set it up to forward to another address and POP it from there. It's dumb, and from the forums it doesn't look like the Gmail team cares or will fix it anytime soon.

With your "Unread" issue, you can't mark it as read, but you can just Archive it. Under "Forwarding and POP" next to the forwarding address set it to "archive Gmail's copy". Not ideal, but it'll do what you want for now.

Mike Temporale
02-27-2005, 11:46 PM
That's how POP works. If google offered IMAP it would be a different story. POP doesn't offer the ability to mark items as read on the server. You'll have to use Gmails archive feature.