View Full Version : Wired stereo headsets

jeff
02-25-2005, 01:41 AM
So i picked up the motorola branded HS120 stereo headset for the 220, and i am glad i decided to spend the extra cash and buy it in store at best buy b/c its going back - quickly. While they sounded great and actually fit into the 2.5mm recessed jack (that most others dont because obviously motorola wants us buying their product), the ear buds were far too large and heavy and kept falling out of my ears. The final straw was when a call came through and the person on the receiving end could hear that well known cingular antenna interference. Out the door these go.

so...the next big question. I have seen the adapter on ebay to use standard headphones with the220, what are you guys using? Are there any third party phones that actually fit this jack? Anyone successful? I'd like to go bluetooth but they are pricey and from what i hear its a pain to get them to work with more than just voice calls.

Honestly, if i had to forego being able to answer calls via the headset for the sake of good stereo audio, that wouldnt bother me anyway.

So whats the verdict on wired 2.5mm stereo phones that actually work with the 220?

Jerry Raia
02-25-2005, 04:39 AM
I'm using the same ones you just disposed of, the HS120. I would like to know what genius thought that making them so big and weighted on the outside (hence falling out of ear issue) was a good idea. I haven't noticed the noise problem in a call yet though. I hunted around a little in the stores for an alternate headset for my 220 and found none. I would like to know if anyone had any success with an adapter also.

jeff
02-25-2005, 05:20 AM
Hey thanks b/c i was curious if i had defective ears :lol: Don't they test these products? The best part is i went back and read the box before i repacked it - this is on the back as a plus:

"Among the largest in ear speakers (15mm) to provide you with best-in-class stereo sound."

Yea - if they stay in :D They gotta stay in to hear how GREAT they sound lol!

is the stereo headset from the mpx200 the same headset or is it lighter perhaps? I have heard that one also works.

Jerry Raia
02-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Well in all fairness if you hold your head perfectly still (no breathing) and are in still air, they might stay in a few minutes. :lol:

Not sure about the MPx200 headset. I can tell you that the HS120 is for the v710 and just happened to work on the MPx220. If I had to bet, I'd say the Frankenstein styled HS120 is the MPx200 headset as well. Someone else here may know otherwise though.

Kris Kumar
02-25-2005, 05:37 AM
is the stereo headset from the mpx200 the same headset or is it lighter perhaps? I have heard that one also works.

I know that it works. Can't compare the weight.

I do find them comfortable.

jeff
02-25-2005, 07:30 AM
Is this the headset you have Kris?

http://www.lovemymobile.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=864

if it is, thats the same one - i guess they just rebranded it. Maybe your ears are better designed these things :D

Jerry Raia
02-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Ok Kris, spill it. How do you get them to stay in your ears??? Glue? Tape?

Kris Kumar
02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Is this the headset you have Kris?

http://www.lovemymobile.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=864

if it is, thats the same one - i guess they just rebranded it. Maybe your ears are better designed these things :D

Oops :oops: Thanks for posting the link. I have the headsets all mixed up. I think I was thinking about the i-mate SP3i headset.

jeff
02-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Thats the headset you use with your 220? It works? If so maybe thats a better idea. Is it fully functional, including the call/end button too?

stevew
02-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Jeff,

Here is an adapter that will allow you to use any 3.5 mm stereo headphones with your mpx 220. I use it everyday and it works fine.

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/Accessories.asp?type=audio

Mike Temporale
02-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Here is an adapter that will allow you to use any 3.5 mm stereo headphones with your mpx 220. I use it everyday and it works fine.

You can also get them from your local radio shack. I'm sure Best Buy would have them too.

stevew
02-26-2005, 11:29 PM
I used an adapter from radio shack and it didn't work. I had to pull it out a little bit for it to work. A regular 2.5 to 3.5 adapter won't work. The male part of the adapter that will work has 3 rings around it. A regular adapter has only 2.