View Full Version : LCD Broken on Audiovox SMT5600

iahamad
02-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Hello,

The LCD glass was broken on my Audiovox SMT5600. The phone is working fine. I can use the phone by dialling or accessing the numbers using the contacts. Also I receive the calls, no problems with normal functionality of the phone. But it is frustrating not to see who is calling or to set the Profiles without display.

The question I have is whether this phone can be repaired?

Thanks in advance for your time

Mike Temporale
02-22-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm sure something can be done. How did it break? It could be covered by warranty.

hiloboy69
05-27-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm sure something can be done. How did it break? It could be covered by warranty.

Sorry man. Not covered by warranty. Everything but LCD screen and outer casing covered. I just had my phone for 1 week and dropped it, about 3 feet high, in the case and broke the screen. I think it hit the magnetic button and cracked from the middle bottom up. Phone works fine but really does not do much good for its features. I called Audiovox today and thyey said it's not covered by warranty, you can't just buy the screen and replace it yourself, you have to send it in directly to them and they will acess the situation and let you know cost for repair. representative said turn arround for this is 1-2 weeks and cost if just the LCD screen is broken and no other problems are found would be $150-250.

Best advice for others.... Get a reular case and stay away from those button closures ****velcro**** and don't drop this sensitive phone. I paid full price for the (399.99) thru Cingular so this phone is now worth 600.00 to me!!!!! Sucks but thats how it goes. I hope this helps. ~~~~>newbie plunger!!!

Mike Temporale
05-27-2005, 07:55 PM
I just had my phone for 1 week and dropped it, about 3 feet high, in the case and broke the screen. I think it hit the magnetic button and cracked from the middle bottom up.

Ouch! That sucks. I've dropped mine a couple times (from at least 3 feet) and so far I've been lucky, only a couple scratches. I keep telling myself that I need to be more careful. Now I better start to be. I don't want a $200 repair bill. :(

hiloboy69
07-09-2005, 03:31 AM

Sorry man. Not covered by warranty. Everything but LCD screen and outer casing covered. I just had my phone for 1 week and dropped it, about 3 feet high, in the case and broke the screen. I think it hit the magnetic button and cracked from the middle bottom up. Phone works fine but really does not do much good for its features. I called Audiovox today and thyey said it's not covered by warranty, you can't just buy the screen and replace it yourself, you have to send it in directly to them and they will acess the situation and let you know cost for repair. representative said turn arround for this is 1-2 weeks and cost if just the LCD screen is broken and no other problems are found would be $150-250.

Best advice for others.... Get a reular case and stay away from those button closures ****velcro**** and don't drop this sensitive phone. I paid full price for the (399.99) thru Cingular so this phone is now worth 600.00 to me!!!!! Sucks but thats how it goes. I hope this helps. ~~~~>newbie plunger!!!

well I sent in my phone and im still waiting for some sort of answer. no customer support so far from Audiovx. I'm hoping they are fixing it for free and sending it back to me. Ill keep you informed on any progress. I miss my 5600........... stupid V220 can't do anything for me except dial numbers. Had to use in place. Already thinking of buying another 5600 to use and keep the other as a replacement phone!

Jerry Raia
07-10-2005, 12:13 AM
I think in your place I would have just gotten another. I hate waiting around for stuff and this way its brand new.

hiloboy69
07-23-2005, 04:41 PM
well I sent in my phone and im still waiting for some sort of answer. no customer support so far from Audiovx. I'm hoping they are fixing it for free and sending it back to me. Ill keep you informed on any progress. I miss my 5600........... stupid V220 can't do anything for me except dial numbers. Had to use in place. Already thinking of buying another 5600 to use and keep the other as a replacement phone![/quote]

Got a quote from Audiovox. 147.46 includes 25$$ labor. Need to reply within 3 business days or they ship it back to you! I'm gonna wait to fix and just buy a new one for about 200-250. Hope this helps someone Customer Service sucks but the phone is wonderful.

Mike Temporale
07-23-2005, 08:30 PM
For $147, I think I would do the same thing. Just grab a new one. It's too bad they couldn't do anything for you.

hiloboy69
08-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Anyone looking to buy a LCD screen for your SMT-5600, look on E-Bay... theres one on auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5803360393&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1 ends in about 4-5 days. GL. I got one for 52.00 of course plus shipping. but way better than paying about 150.00 for Audiovox to fix it and thats plus shipping also. Hope this helps someone.

hiloboy69
12-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Anyone looking to buy a LCD screen for your SMT-5600, look on E-Bay... theres one on auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5803360393&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1 ends in about 4-5 days. GL. I got one for 52.00 of course plus shipping. but way better than paying about 150.00 for Audiovox to fix it and thats plus shipping also. Hope this helps someone.

Well I got my screen but its still not working. I keep getting a white screen. but phone functions perfectly.

Mike Temporale
12-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Well I got my screen but its still not working. I keep getting a white screen. but phone functions perfectly.

:( That sucks.

Just guessing - sounds like a loose cable or power source.

hiloboy69
12-10-2005, 06:46 PM

:( That sucks.

Just guessing - sounds like a loose cable or power source.

well bad decision but sold it for 50. Looking at the 8125 coming out next year or the 2125 that cingular replaced the 5600 with.