View Full Version : SMS Campaign to Aid Teens with Unplanned Pregnancy

Mike Temporale
02-22-2005, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/007241.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/007241.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In Singapore, seven community agencies have come together to launch a nationwide campaign to help troubled teenagers facing unplanned pregnancies... "Called Babes, it aims to offer shelter, guidance and counselling, and also to provide medical services as well as post-natal follow-up. These teens can also SMS to seek help.""</i><br /><br />You have to be kidding me. Being a parent, I can relate to the stress that everyone involved goes through during and after the pregnancy. Texting isn't going to help. While it may be the easy way to ask a question, the response won't be very helpful. The answers to most questions are not simple enough to SMS a reply. If you're in this situation, do yourself a favor and see your doctor. They will answer all of your questions. If that still is not enough, sit down at a computer and search. The internet is loaded with valuable information, and Google is your friend. :wink:

lurch
02-22-2005, 10:05 PM
and Google is your friend. :wink:
Be careful, though, because Google is fickle and can just as easily be your enemy! :) When my wife was pregnant our doctor told her she had a "grade 3 placenta" and that she should take it easy and monitor this and that. I made her promise me she wouldn't go searching online for information about a "grade 3 placenta"--I just knew there would be horror story after horror story, with the occasional tidbit of useful information!

I did the search (because I could handle a horror story) and sure enough, there was plenty of info that would freak her out.

So just be forewarned... 8O

And thanks, Mike, for the advice... I would add that there are many good crisis pregnancy centers throughout the country (USA) and hopefully the world that offer many valuable services!

Mike Temporale
02-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Be careful, though, because Google is fickle and can just as easily be your enemy! :) When my wife was pregnant our doctor told her she had a "grade 3 placenta" and that she should take it easy and monitor this and that. I made her promise me she wouldn't go searching online for information about a "grade 3 placenta"--I just knew there would be horror story after horror story, with the occasional tidbit of useful information!

I did the search (because I could handle a horror story) and sure enough, there was plenty of info that would freak her out.

So just be forewarned... 8O

Excellent point. I forgot to mention that aspect of things. :(

seaflipper
02-22-2005, 11:18 PM
and Google is your friend. :wink:And thanks, Mike, for the advice... I would add that there are many good crisis pregnancy centers throughout the country (USA) and hopefully the world that offer many valuable services!

Personally, I think you need to be just as worried about "information" from many (not ALL) "crisis" pregnancy prevention centers in the US as you should be from google. In many cases, "crisis pregnancy prevention centers" have only one motivation. Personally, I think you're much better off going to a Planned Parenthood.

Mike Temporale
02-23-2005, 01:47 AM
Ok... How about this; Use the internet, but take it with a grain of salt. ;)

There are plenty of medical sites that will provided detailed information, or you could ask a friend, or prehaps somone that's had children. Doesn't have to be a friend, most people would love to talk about their expereinces. Of course, the best source of info is from your Doctor.

Jon Westfall
02-23-2005, 05:19 AM
Personally, I think you need to be just as worried about "information" from many (not ALL) "crisis" pregnancy prevention centers in the US as you should be from google. In many cases, "crisis pregnancy prevention centers" have only one motivation. Personally, I think you're much better off going to a Planned Parenthood.

One may argue that Planned Parenthood has only one motivation as well... I think ones best bet is to find second opinions whenever a crisis happens. However, my background in psychology assures me that the last thing someone in a crisis is thinking of is rational decision making. In the end, I suppose any way to get information out there is worth a shot, but SMS may be a bit limiting with its 160 char. see example:

When faced with an unplanned pregnancy, one should be careful to consider all options. It's extremely important to never, ever consider the grave option to

Jerry Raia
02-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Ok Ok, but will it help with planned pregnancies??

lurch
02-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I've been known to drive a thread into the hall of flame and shame before, and that's definitely not my intention! But I just wanted to point out that I said "crisis pregnancy center" not "crisis pregnancy prevention center".

The original post is about people who are already pregnant, and there's a huge difference between those two "types of places".

Mike Temporale
02-23-2005, 04:43 PM
I've been known to drive a thread into the hall of flame and shame before

We have yet to use that forum over here. I'm sure the day is coming, but right now I'm rather proud of that fact. :mrgreen: And, no worries, I think we're still a long way from moving this thread to the HoFS. ;)

Personally, I think you're much better off going to a Planned Parenthood

Planned Parenthood - What's that? They way you are using it leads me to think it's some sort of group or agency. :?:

seaflipper
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Personally, I think you're much better off going to a Planned Parenthood

Planned Parenthood - What's that? They way you are using it leads me to think it's some sort of group or agency. :?:

Planned Parenthood is a non profit organiztion that was started in NYC in the early 1900s:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/portal/

Yes, it's true they are an evil liberal group whose sole purpose is to educate people. They don't bring religion into the mix, they don't moralize, they don't lecture. What they do is provide accurate and medically sound information about how to prevent pregnancies and provide counseling services and referrals if you do get pregnant.

And, just to clarify things, I think the SMS idea is totally stupid.

BR
02-23-2005, 08:30 PM
I am not sure about this SMS idea . . . I dont think that it will be very effective but you never know

lurch
02-23-2005, 08:35 PM
We have yet to use that forum over here. I'm sure the day is coming, but right now I'm rather proud of that fact. Mr. Green And, no worries, I think we're still a long way from moving this thread to the HoFS.
Mike, Mike, Mike... this thread is on it's way to be the first, I can smell it. :)

Yes, it's true they are an evil liberal group whose sole purpose is to educate people. They don't bring religion into the mix, they don't moralize, they don't lecture. What they do is provide accurate and medically sound information about how to prevent pregnancies and provide counseling services and referrals if you do get pregnant.

And Mike should also know that a) Planned Parenthood's "education" has been shown to be both lacking and extremely selective, and b) Planned Parenthood provides those services to pregnant women, but they also *perform* abortions at some of their clinics.

Okay, but in the interest of not creating the first ever HoFS (at least not on my account) I'm shutting up on this thread for good. 8O Hard to believe, I know, but it's true!!! :)

Mike Temporale
02-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Planned Parenthood is a non profit organiztion that was started in NYC in the early 1900s:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/portal/

Would you know it... the URL is blocked by my clients firewall. It appears to be against the companies code of conduct. :roll: Nice one.

Jerry Raia
02-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Why those....those.....Na......I can't do it! :rotfl:

Mike Temporale
02-23-2005, 08:56 PM
And Mike should also know that ...

Ok, so they may not be for everyone, but I imagine they are still better than anything a text message could hope to do. :wink: