View Full Version : Yet Another MPx220 Review

Jerry Raia
02-21-2005, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=576' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=576</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Making use of the latest version of MS Smartphone OS, the MPx220 takes Smartphones to the next level. The device is small, solid and seemingly well made. When I got the device, I was very excited. I had opened a Cingular GSM account with three specific purposes in mind: review the Motorola MPx220 and MPx, review the i-mate PDA2k, and dump my Verizon Wireless account because they are WAY too expensive. I had been trading e-mail with some of the executives in the Moto Pro Group at Motorola, the people responsible for all of the MPx Series converged devices. I had developed a 2 page list of about 20 or more questions regarding the MPx with hopes of getting an interview with them about the device. I figured if the guys at MSMobiles had gotten a few moments with them in person at a trade show, I could surely get a few moments over the phone."</i><br /><br />Now what I like about this review is how it highlights not only the problems this phone had when it was released but also the denial of Motorola that there ever was a real problem or a recall for that matter. This is an interesting read in my opinion.

PPCMD
02-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Very interesting read indeed. I know Chris from PDAPhonehome and he was one of the brave souls pushing Samsung and Verizon on the much promised and horribly delayed OS udpate to the I700.

I agree with his experience of the MPx220 to a certain point. I did own an I700 for nearly 16 months and found it to be a good PDA but NOT a good phone. I need a phone first and foremost and while I would like a PDA as well I compromised on phone with higher PIM functions. The MPx220 does that.

I also agree that phones should not be video/mp3 players the screen is TOO small to get any value on a movie and I have an iPod now for my MP3's.

What I expect, or should I say deman from Moto is the following: 1) Release a firmware that really fixes the phone issues, 2) Improve the memory and screen size in your next MPx2xx unit (need more) and finally friggin accessories. The fact that this phone was launched in October 2004 and we are now in February (nearly March) 2005 and still NO ACCESSORIES to abe found in the USA, 5 months and counting. Disappointing you bet. Moto had better get it together or get out of the PDA/SmartPhone market.

skibee
03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Some harsh words. Here are my 2 cents:

I think that the MPx220 offers enough space for normal use. I often find that people expect their cellphones to do everything for them. It seems enough to hold important contact information, email info, etc.

As far as upgrades are concerned -- Smartphones are very complicated devices. It seems as though Moto's doing as much as they can to make sure everyone's got the most updated version of this phone.

busytraveler
04-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Furthermore, the 220 was such a huge improvement on the 200 that it will be a long time before i'm wanting more. I spent close to a year with the 200 and became so frustrated I almost went back to an old (very old) nokia candy bar. By the time I upgraded to the 220, it was a new release with 1.30 and I have never had any problems to speak of.

In a nutshell, I can wait a while for any kind of upgrade. Remember, a phone is a phone is a phone.