View Full Version : Looking to switch...

Tibodus
02-16-2005, 11:14 AM
I currently have a PDA2k. I love the device, but there are times that it is just a burdon to carry around.

I am not a heavy user. I use it for games, reminders of appointments and such (sync via outlook), check my email (via pop accounts), listen to music and watch movies I converted to a playable format.

I have been attracted to the new MPX coming out, and the ROM issue isnt that huge for me. I currently barley use any of the ROM on my PDA2k.

But other than the MPX, what other alternatives are there? Any suggestions based on experience with devices? Something where BLuetooth is STRONG would be a nice plus. :) I want to be able to use some sort of Voice Command. Right now I use MS Voice Command on my PDA2k.

Thanks guys, I am on Pocket PC Thoughts, but decided to come over here to you experts to get some opinions. I hope I am posting this in the right forum, but I didnt have a question about a specific device.

Also if you could provide me links to devices so I can check them out including the price (not a big issue just want a reliable device).

It would be great if the phone you suggest has a nice option for a good case that will protect it like it should unlike some of the cases available for the PDA2k.

I thought of going with the JAM, but I wanted to get some input from the smartphone world.

Oh... Also, is there anything that utilizes a Stylus? If not thats cool, but was just curious.

Thanks again!
John

Tibodus
02-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Nobody? :(

Mike Temporale
02-17-2005, 11:52 AM
But other than the MPX, what other alternatives are there? Any suggestions based on experience with devices? Something where BLuetooth is STRONG would be a nice plus. :) I want to be able to use some sort of Voice Command. Right now I use MS Voice Command on my PDA2k.

Well, I don't really know what your requirements are. You seem to like devices with a keyboard. Both the PDA2K and MPx are Pocket PC Phone Edition devices. You could look at the Voq, it has a fold out keyboard, runs Smartphone, however it doesn't have Bluetooth.

The only other strong phones right now, would be the MPx220, and the SMT5600, but they don't have keyboards.

Oh, and there is no Voice Command for the Smartphone yet. :(

Kris Kumar
02-18-2005, 02:54 AM
I am not a heavy user. I use it for games, reminders of appointments and such (sync via outlook), check my email (via pop accounts), listen to music and watch movies I converted to a playable format.

From what you have mentioned, it seems that you do not enter too much data on your mobile device. If that is the case then Smartphone is good option. It is highly portable and lets you do everything you have listed. The only thing I would be concened off - watching movies, Smartphone screen is too small.

Current choices:
- Motorola MPx220 (has its own voice command, that can be used to launch apps as well as dial numbers)
- Audiovox SMT5600
- i-mate SP3i (same as the SMT5600, but conventional looks and has joystick)