View Full Version : Why no WMP10?

dd-mj
02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
I have been searching all over the net for an answer to the question - Why does the MPX220 not have Windows Media Player 10?

Can anyone explain this to me? :?: If Moto does not want to supply it, why doesn't Microsoft simply make if a free download. I would be more than happy to install it to my mini-SD card. WMP9 absolutely sucks if for no other reason then the lack of Playlists

Come on Microsoft put it on your download site. I might even start downloading music from your music site...how is that for a trade? :wink:

Can anyone help me out here...what is the big deal?

PPCMD
02-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Unfortunately with WMPC and WMSP devices its built into the ROM of the phone. Unless Motorola offers a ROM update that includes WMP10 (which they aren't) then we won't get it.

MS can't offer it for every phone unlike their PC OS options. Besides I thought DRM was a nightmare in WMP10.

Oh well

Kris Kumar
02-16-2005, 04:00 AM
I guess manufacturers and carriers want to treat Smartphones as any other phone. No new features are added once launched. Only bug fixes, that too when things go really haywire or if you specifically need it (read ask for it).

Part of the reason is the support costs....

jeff
02-16-2005, 06:08 AM
I actually owned an SMT 5600 before my mpx220 - i signed on with ATT on Oct. because i wanted the phone but the service was god awful, so i dropped it and picked up an mpx in late dec on cingular. So i have a good amount of experience with both. And subsuquently, with wmp 9 and wmp 10. I have to say that hands down 10 is a vast improvement, so yes - we should want it in a ROM update. God knows if theyll do it, but the differences are drastic. Fast forawrd and rewind, playlists, album images, DRM, better sync to WMP, all in all its a better experience. Sandisk just came out with their 1GB card so i am finally setting my phone up as an mp3 player when i pick it up. Until a new version of WMP is added, i'm probably going with a third party app that supports playlists.

Jerry Raia
02-16-2005, 05:50 PM
The other problem at work here is the "Moto Factor". They seem to have trouble putting out a phone that is right the first time let alone updating it. Besides even if they did upgrade it to WMP 10 you wouldn't be able to hear it anyway. :lol:

dd-mj
02-16-2005, 06:11 PM
I understand the ROM issue - but why does that stop MS from simply providing a free RAM download for WMP10. I have an old Compaq 3765 PocketPC and it had a ROM version of WMP8, but I was able to upgrade it to WMP9 by installing a version provided by MS.

So again why is MS not giving WMP away? It is free for XP systems? Is it because they are trying to protect against giving away iPod functionality? Help me out here...what are they thinking...

Screw Moto...I want MS to step up and provide WMP10! :lol:

AMelis
02-17-2005, 07:08 AM
I understand the ROM issue - but why does that stop MS from simply providing a free RAM download for WMP10. I have an old Compaq 3765 PocketPC and it had a ROM version of WMP8, but I was able to upgrade it to WMP9 by installing a version provided by MS.

So again why is MS not giving WMP away? It is free for XP systems? Is it because they are trying to protect against giving away iPod functionality? Help me out here...what are they thinking...

Screw Moto...I want MS to step up and provide WMP10! :lol:

I don't know. Maybe because they are in the business of selling stuff, not actually like, giving it away?

As for it being on other phones than the mpx220, I understand that it had something to do with the licensing purchased.