View Full Version : Automatically Insert Long Distance Prefix

homeLAN
02-15-2005, 12:13 AM
When I dial a long distance number (in a different area code) from "Contacts" in the SMT 5600, the phone doesn't insert the "1" long distance prefix before the area code. This means that the call doesn't go through properly and I get a recorded message from the carrier. How do I get the phone to automatically insert the "1" long distance prefix? I'm sure there's just some simple setting I'm overlooking. Thanks.

Mike Temporale
02-15-2005, 02:33 AM
I remember this problem. Hold on, I'll find the post that outlines how this is setup and why.

Mike Temporale
02-15-2005, 02:38 AM
Here it is. Arne Hess from PPCW.net really helped out with the solution on this. It's really just a formating thing. Once you've got it setup right, you'll never have a problem again. Since this discussion, I've never had to worry about adding the 1.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4961

Let us know how it works out for you. 8)

homeLAN
02-15-2005, 02:57 AM
Thanks Mike. I think I understand it now. If the phone numbers in your "Contacts" are stored in the full format -- that is, in the format +country code (area code) local number -- then the GSM network can understand the number and dial it properly in all cases. That means you have to include the "+1" for all North American numbers, which is something we're normally not used to doing. So that really means going back to Outlook on my computer and getting all my numbers in the proper format and then syncing to my phone.

Mike Temporale
02-15-2005, 03:04 AM
Yup. I really wish Outlook would auto format your numbers so that this wouldn't be a problem. :)

joeonsunset
03-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Huh, down here in the US I've never had a wireless carrier that required the 1. You can just dial 10 digits. Anyone in the US have this problem?

Mike Temporale
03-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Some carriers in the US have setup their network so this isn't a problem. However, as Arne pointed out in the linked article, this is how it should work. If you don't have to do it, that's great. But watch out if you travel outside of the US. You could run into some problems with the numbers in your contact list. ;)

Mark Larson
03-24-2005, 04:59 AM
I enter my contacts with + and country code because I used to often use the phone abroad. Its a good habit to get into. Changing contacts in Outlook is easier than doing it on the phone though. :oops: