View Full Version : Breakthrough in Rechargeable Batteries

Mike Temporale
02-11-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/050210/080729.html' target='_blank'>http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/050210/080729.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Altair Nanotechnologies, Inc. announced today that it has achieved a breakthrough in Lithium Ion battery electrode materials, which will enable a new generation of rechargeable battery to be introduced into the marketplace, as well as create new markets for rechargeable batteries. These new materials allow rechargeable batteries to be manufactured that have three times the power of existing Lithium Ion batteries at the same price and with recharge times measured in a few minutes rather than hours."</i><br /><br />This sounds interesting, but I've read too many press releases about how different technologies are going to free us from the restraints of todays batteries, to get excited. I'll wait and see. :wink:

Kris Kumar
02-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Recharge in minutes is something that I always wanted. 8O There have been so many instances where I sit in the car only to find that the battery is low. I plug in the car charger but I am at the destination in 15 mins, not enough to have a decent charge. :-(

And if I can get more power, I am all for it.

I just hope that they are able to commercialize/productize this soon.

Cattle-Dog
02-12-2005, 02:14 AM
You can be sure there is at least one lie in this article. If a manufacture can produce a battery that yieds 3 times more power, charges at insane rates, lasts seemingly forever compared to today's batteries... there is no way in hell they will be at the "same price" as today's batteries.

IF they live up to their hype, you know there will be a premium for that much convenience.

Jerry Raia
02-12-2005, 04:30 AM
I'm still waiting for the fuel cells. :roll:

Kris Kumar
02-12-2005, 04:35 AM
I'm still waiting for the fuel cells. :roll:

That's dangerous stuff.... :lol:

Jerry Raia
02-12-2005, 04:39 AM
Yeah I love the idea of putting that up next to my head. Living on the edge.
:evilbat:

Kris Kumar
02-12-2005, 04:50 AM

I always wonder if the stories (rumors) that you hear about exploding cell phones are really prototype cell phones using fuel cell batteries. :rotfl:

Jerry Raia
02-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Only Motorola phones self destruct like that I bet. Destroy the evidence! :lol:

Mike Temporale
02-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Recharge in minutes is something that I always wanted. 8O

I agree, recharging in minutes is a great achievement, and something I would love to see happen.

However, I can't count the number of amazing new battery technology stories I've read over the last couple years. Nothing ever seems to come from it. I hope this is different, but I'm not getting my hopes up. :wink:

Mike Temporale
02-12-2005, 01:22 PM

Living on the edge - isn't that why you're a pilot :wink:

Mike Temporale
02-12-2005, 01:25 PM
You can be sure there is at least one lie in this article. If a manufacture can produce a battery that yieds 3 times more power, charges at insane rates, lasts seemingly forever compared to today's batteries... there is no way in hell they will be at the "same price" as today's batteries.

IF they live up to their hype, you know there will be a premium for that much convenience.

Excellent point. When someone says it will cost the same as todays technology, to me that means the new method is cheaper to produce and therefore they can sell it at the same price as what we currently use today.

Number 6
02-12-2005, 04:11 PM
This'll be great if it's true but it kind of reminds me of the articles I'd see in Popular Science or Popular Mechanic's magazines about some great new technology that'll revolutionize the field in the next few years and then you never hear about it again. I guess when I see the battery in the store or in the next device I buy then I'll really believe it.

Jerry Raia
02-12-2005, 05:05 PM

Living on the edge - isn't that why you're a pilot :wink:

:rotfl:

BR
02-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Sounds a little too good to believe!

Jason Dunn
02-23-2005, 07:13 PM
This sounds insanely cool...so I'm immediately suspicious of course. :-) What's most interesting about this is that this isn't a radically new technology like fuel cells are. This is essentially a chemical adjustment of a current technology and thus far more realistic. Here's hoping...!!!

Jerry Raia
02-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Anyone remember cold fusion? :turn-l: