View Full Version : The Rise Of The Smartphone

Mike Temporale
02-11-2005, 02:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/09/landscape_smartphones/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/09/landscape_smartphones/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The PDA market - everybody knows this - is dying, and the smartphone is taking over. That's what the figures seems to show and yet, behind the scenes, the designers of smartphones are seeing a strange trend - phones are getting bigger and more like computers. ...The market for small phones remains good, but the trend seen five years ago has been reversed. Where it was necessary to produce the smallest possible device to fit into pockets and handbags and simply make and receive calls, the development of smart phones with extra features has started making the owners of tiny phones envious of the clear, bright displays of those who use them for email, for appointments, and even for video messaging. At Microsoft, the trend which took the Pocket PC and shrunk it down to the C500 smartphone is creating new sales. But at the same time, the rebound is visible; the XDA IIi is unashamedly a PDA, and a big one, with a full keyboard plus WiFi as well as GSM wireless - and it is selling better than expected."</i><br /><br />The Register has a really interesting article on the current trends in smartphones and PDAs. I think Microsoft is full prepared for the road ahead. With the release of Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, Microsoft broke the mold on screen size, shape and orientation. Although we don't know much about the next release or Windows Mobile, we do know that Microsoft intends to further blur the line between the Smartphone and Pocket PC, making Windows Mobile ready for whatever direction the hardware decides to go. The future is so bright... 8)

abarry
02-11-2005, 07:29 PM
The form factor has now become secondary because of BT headsets, many of them 20g or less.

I have a SMT5600 and it is a technological marvel, though I still have to carry my iPac 2215 for other functions my mobile cannot do. I did purchase a Siemens SX66, which is another amazing piece of work, but returned it because of problems with its BT stack and the fact that Cingular would not support it as a tethering modem for my laptop.

The biggest advantage of a PDA over a Smartphone is the ability to surf the net, read books, work on office documents and view video because of the larger screen. That said, I do believe that a 3.5" of even a 4" screen is really not enough for, at least, browsing the websites. I think that for any meaningful experience, a minimum of 6" screen is a must.

True, it will increase the form factor and weight if a 6" PDA is a phone as well. The SMT5600 with a 2.2" screen is a shade less than 100g, while the 3.5" SX66 is a shade over 200. A 6" PDAPhone will have the scale touch almost 300g. But then, as long as you have a BT headset, what would be the problem toting a 300g brick on your belt? At least you can surf the net, watch videos, etc. without straining your eyes. ANd with voicetag over the BTHS compatibility, like in SMT5600 (but not in SX66), one would not have to pull out the phone to dial the most often called numbers.

I do think that eventually there will be such a set on the market. The HTC BlueAngel has proved that a "sliding" keyboard is the answer. It will be better if the keyboard slid out from the wider end of the telephone, like in a model made by LG, and if one like that is put in a PDAPhone with a 6" screen, there would be no complaints about cramped keys. Also, the stylus that can be stored will be bigger, like the Psion 5mx (anyone remember?).

A dream phone for me? A PDAPhone having:

• A 6" VGA or better screen
• A keyboard sliding out of the 'wide' side of the phone
• A 600MHz or better processor
• Ability to tether it with laptop (I may not need one in this instance!)
• About 300g or less
• Several softkeys (like in the SX66) to launch often used apps
• A MP or better camera
• Ability to record phone calls and voice memos
• SDIO and CF slots
• A long lasting battery, because now there will be more functions to support
• MP3 player
• Included software (like Nevo) to use as a remote control
• Good stereo speakers (Motorola has shown the way)
• Bluetooth Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), so a stereo BT earphones can be used (like the BluAnt headphones)
• Of course BT, Wi-Fi, USB, IrDa connectivity and built-in PIM, Audioplayer, Backup program etc. The OS by then would be later than WM2003SE, maybe WM2006! Or maybe even running on a Widows CE.net platform
• Worldphone (quadband, SIM unlocked) capability
• SIM card with 128M or better memory
• Ability to watch live TV
• Ability to use technology better that EDGE or 3G

Did I miss something?

I do understand that some of these things, like tethering, are carrier dependent. I hope that whoever carries this phone should allow users to exploit all the capabilities of the phone.

Price? I would be willing to pay up to $1000 for such a device. This will indeed save me from carrying my laptop everywhere.

Kris Kumar
02-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Smart phones rock. :rock on dude!: Microsoft's strategy to loosen the form factor limitations will give a big boost to the PDA+cellphone devices.

I definitely would like to see a variety of form-factors, sizes, shapes etc.

But for me the size is very important. I like the SMT5600/SP3i size. I am comfortable with the screen size.

... It will be better if the keyboard slid out from the wider end of the telephone ...

I like this idea. Add a sliding keyboard to my SP3i (with landscape orientation) and WiFi. And I will be :drool: