View Full Version : Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard to support MPx220

Goattee
02-10-2005, 04:03 PM
http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/02/09/stowaway/index.php

The US$149 Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard is a collapsable, full-sized keyboard with 18mm spacing. It includes a carrying case and a detachable stand that can be used to mount your phone or PDA.

Think Outside indicated that it will be releasing beta drivers for Windows Mobile Smartphones in the next 30 days. The driver will support the Motorola MPX220, iMate SP3 and SP3i, Audiovox 5600, o2 XphoneII, DoPod 565 and Qtek 8010. An updated Pocket PC driver has also been released that adds new features

Jerry Raia
02-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Interesting. We will keep an eye on this one :)

BillMSTI
02-23-2005, 06:29 PM
T/O has been saying this for a while now. Wonder if it will ever come to pass?

dd-mj
02-23-2005, 08:37 PM
OK a keyboard would be nice, but what applications would you use with it. Pocket office does not come with the Smartphone like it does the PocketPC.

Is there some Smartphone edition office type application which could take advantage of the BT keyboard? If so I would like to look at it.

Mike Temporale
02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
For me it's email, email, email and maybe a little email. :mrgreen:

It's also handy for data entry into other applications like Electronic Wallets, online message boards, entering settings for various applications.

Jerry Raia
02-23-2005, 09:01 PM

It's also handy for data entry into other applications like Electronic Wallets, online message boards, entering settings for various applications.

Yes but how do you feel about email?? :P

Mike Temporale
02-23-2005, 09:03 PM

Yes but how do you feel about email?? :P

Oh, did I forget to mention email.... :wink:

Jerry Raia
02-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Try to be clearer in the future there Mike. I'll put you down for email this time. :twak:

jimfee
02-23-2005, 09:38 PM
What are the real differences between Windows PPC and Smartphone?, I'm sure that the latest and greatest smartphones have sufficicent hardware capability to run what recent generation palms and ppcs could.

The real difference seems to lie in the HIDs. Enableing a Smartphone to support pointers, keyboards or touchscreens pretty much bridges that gap and I'm sure thats the kind of product the Smartphone customer is looking for.

jimfee
03-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Ok here it is... Drivers are out, IR is 69.99 Bluetooth is 149.99. Somebody buy this stuff so the price comes down and a cheap (( like me can get one cheaper.

God Loves the Early Adopter!! :angel:

vincenzosi
03-02-2005, 10:25 PM
God Loves the Early Adopter!! :angel:

If He does, then why does He continuously give us bad products, faulty ROMs and bugs galore? :wink:

jimfee
03-03-2005, 04:54 PM
It IS noble to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune... :splat:

Now let me know if those drivers work out because I would realy like to get this but I want it to work!

otty
03-04-2005, 03:46 PM
I bought the Bluetooth from Amazon.com for $90.99 with free shipping and received it the next day. It works great. I bought smartphone notes which allows me to take notes and write documents and synch them with Outlook. The only thing is I have to copy from notes and past into word if I want it to be a word document. A word compatible notes program would be even better.

About the keyboard: It is really nice. It has a number of customizable hot keys that allow you to switch between programs from the keyboard. These work using a combination of the alt key and a key that is labelled for applications such as calendar, contacts, etc. The keyboard turns on when you open it so that you just set the phone in the cradle and you are ready to go. For a small portable keyboard it is quite acceptable to me.

Installation: If you are installing to an MPX220, don't use the CD that comes with the keyboard. Go to www.thinkoutside.com, Support, Downloads, Motorola, MPX220 and download the MPX220 Driver. Run the installation from the downloaded driver and it should work fine. I have had many dissapointments with things on the MPX220 not working right. This keyboard seems to be just fine once you know to install from the downloaded driver. I did, however, waste 2 hours trying to get it to work before uninstalling the cdrom installed keyboard program and reinstalling with the downloaded driver.

Now if I could only get my bluetooth connection to activesync to work I would be one happy camper.

Mike Temporale
03-04-2005, 03:54 PM
I bought the Bluetooth from Amazon.com for $90.99 with free shipping and received it the next day.

Wow! They do have it. $90 at Amazon, or $150 at ThinkOutside! That's crazy. Here's a link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=smartphonetho-20&path=tg/detail/-/B0002OKCXE/qid=1109947828/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846) for anyone thinking of grabbing one of these. [Affiliate] ;)

vincenzosi
03-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Just ordered it. For that price there was no way I could pass it up.

Thanks for the heads up all!

jimfee
03-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Wow,

Now that is cool... 150 seemed a bit steep for a keeboard with bluetooth capabilities but I can see 90, maybe that BT-GPS module may have to wait.

Jim

Goattee
03-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Ok here it is... Drivers are out

1) It is considerably cheaper for the BT model on Amazon.

2) If the driver for the MPx220 is out, I'd sure like to see the URL for that. Right now they have a rather old list of Motorola non-Symbian models.

vincenzosi
03-06-2005, 07:34 AM
How's this for a URL:

Click here (http://www.thinkoutside.com/drivers.asp?ManufacturerID=50&ModelID=225)

Next question? :-)

Goattee
03-06-2005, 08:53 AM
How's this for a URL:

Click here (http://www.thinkoutside.com/drivers.asp?ManufacturerID=50&ModelID=225)

Next question? :-)

Thanks! I wonder where I was clicking? Anyway thanks! I just ordered it from Amazon and can't wait to try it out.

vincenzosi
03-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm drooling as we speak. It'll be here this week and I cannot wait to get it setup and going. If it works well, I can travel even lighter!

Between my Pocket PC and Smartphone, I just don't really need a laptop for travelling anymore, and this keyboard will definitely solidify the lack of a need for it. As they say: that's a good thing!

I just wish I had it at CES :lol:

Emailing with FITALY on my PPC was fine, but had I had my MPX220 at the time, it would've been even better!