View Full Version : Would You Walk Five Miles To Charge Your Cellphone?

Kris Kumar
02-02-2005, 01:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000023029552/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000023029552/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sounds like the makings of a really bad Nokia commercial, but Ananova has a blurb about a village in Romania that doesn’t have electricity, but does have decent enough cellphone coverage that residents will walk five miles to the nearest town to charge the batteries on their handsets. Could someone please alert them to the existence of those hand-crankable cellphone charger kits?"</i><br /><br />8O This is a fine example of man's true love for his gadget. I would have bought a generator and would have setup a charging booth outside my house. ;-) What are you willing to do for your Smartphone? Do you have any similar stories that you would like to share?

Jerry Raia
02-02-2005, 01:41 AM
I have one of those hand crank radios that came with a bunch of cell phone adapters, yes even for the MPx220. I can plug the phone into the radio and charge off of it.

Kris Kumar
02-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Those things work....wow 8O

How long does it take? Maybe I should buy one. Do they have one with peddles, something like a bicyle? Maybe someone would make one. Then at work I can put it under the table and peddle away while working and charge the phone simultaneously. That may give me some much needed exercise. :lol:

Jerry Raia
02-02-2005, 01:51 AM
Those things work....wow 8O

How long does it take? Maybe I should buy one. Do they have one with peddles, something like a bicyle? Maybe someone would make one. Then at work I can put it under the table and peddle away while working and charge the phone simultaneously. That may give me some much needed exercise. :lol:

I've never tried it but now that I'm thinking about it maybe I should try it with the 220. In fact maybe if I crank it fast enough I'll be able to hear it better, even faster and the pictures it takes will improve. I think if we use your peddle under the desk idea we can get the missing Bluetooth features to come back!!! :lol:

elehcdn
02-08-2005, 06:21 AM
Wouldn't a solar charger be cheaper? I know that they make them for Palms - is there anyone making one for Smartphones?

skibee
02-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Really?? They offer solar chargers for Palms. You learn something new everyday...

The solar powr thing seems like a better use of time and resources, but who ever said that these things had to make sense.