View Full Version : I joined the club!

brntcrsp
02-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Well, after promising myself that I would buy a Smartphone if I could use it on T-Mo, and get it for less than ~$350 unlocked that I would and my SP3i arrived yesterday. They claim it is the US model with the 850 band but is there anyway to verify this?

Also, what do I need to have setup to be able to access the web, MSN, and email? Do I need to subscribe to T-Zones or is it just a case of configuring the GPRS settings?

TIA!

Mike Temporale
02-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Welcome! and I hope you enjoy your phone. :D

Well, after promising myself that I would buy a Smartphone if I could use it on T-Mo, and get it for less than ~$350 unlocked that I would and my SP3i arrived yesterday. They claim it is the US model with the 850 band but is there anyway to verify this?

Good question. I don't know. Where did you buy it from?

Also, what do I need to have setup to be able to access the web, MSN, and email? Do I need to subscribe to T-Zones or is it just a case of configuring the GPRS settings?

Check out our T-Mobile forum. (http://www.SmartphoneThoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=58) Kris has posted a thread (http://www.SmartphoneThoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7485) with a bunch of settings. I'm sure it will have everything you're looking for. :)

brntcrsp
02-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Good question. I don't know. Where did you buy it from?

I bought it as an Open Box item on eBay, with expansys as the seller. When I visit the expansys US site it lists the US version of the SP3i, so maybe there is truth in advertising (although the US version on their site lists the 900 band and not the 850, so who knows).

From the looks of it I will need to purchase the T-Zones plan then to get online.

Thanks, Mike.

Mike Temporale
02-01-2005, 08:58 PM
The next question would be: does T-Mobile use the 850 band? They may not, I think it's just AT&T that uses the 850. Which means it doesn't matter if your phone uses the 900 or 850.

brntcrsp
02-01-2005, 09:47 PM
I guess unless I'm roaming in a non-T-Mobile area, it won't make a lick of difference.

Kris Kumar
02-02-2005, 01:43 AM
Great choice brntcrsp! i-mate SP3i is an amazing device. I am amazed at how well it is holding up. 3 months and no sign of wear and tear or wobbly keys.

Once you setup the GPRS settings, you will be able to access the mails and websites.

mbranscum
02-09-2005, 07:05 PM
I think it's just AT&T that uses the 850. Which means it doesn't matter if your phone uses the 900 or 850.

Ummm...how about Cingular? :wink:

Mike Temporale
02-09-2005, 07:17 PM
I think it's just AT&T that uses the 850. Which means it doesn't matter if your phone uses the 900 or 850.

Ummm...how about Cingular? :wink:

Do they? I don't know - I don't live in the US, and I have a hard enough time keeping track of what the local carriers here in Canada are using for frequencies. :wink: