View Full Version : Do I Love an Orphan Phone?

pr0vider
01-31-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm currently with Sprint and am really, really interested in the Blue Angel PPC/Smartphone they have in stock. I keep up with financial news though and notice that Siemens (who has branded this phone) is in a lot of financial trouble and may do away with their phone business. If I buy this phone from Sprint, will it turn out to be an orphan if Siemens tanks?

Thanks in advance. :(

Mike Temporale
01-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Wow, interesting question.

First, and just so you know, Smartphone Thoughts is focused more on Smartphone devices, and the Siemens device is actaully a Pocket PC Phone Edition. Our sister site has all the info on Pocket PC's --> Http://www.PocketPCThoughts.com

Back to your question, If Siemens was to tank, then you could have some trouble in terms of warranty. The phone would still work, and Sprint would keep selling whatever stock they have. However, I don't think they're going anywhere. Large companies have financial troubles all the time. Someone will buy them up, and things will keep on keeping on. :wink:

Jerry Raia
01-31-2005, 06:31 PM
The other question would be how long to you plan on keeping the same device?

pr0vider
01-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply gentlemen; I appreciate your insight. I already view PPC Thoughts on a daily basis but thought this question might belong on your site. I've had an Ipaq 2215 since that model was first released and am truly in love with it but I don't want to continue carrying both a phone and a PDA at the same time. I'm interested in full PDA functionality in a phone like device with no compromises. I believe I'll take a chance on the Seimens; after all, no other device has what I'm looking for, a truly versatile phone which includes gobs of ROM/RAM for memory hungry programs, a large screen for spreadsheets, and reprogrammable buttons. :?

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Sounds like you have thought it through pretty well and made a sound choice. :)

Mike Temporale
02-01-2005, 03:21 AM
Worst case - If Siemens decides to put an end to their phone business, they will do 1 of 2 things. Either sell it off, or shut it down. Packing it in, isn't really a wise choice, since you loose everything you have put into it. All your R&D, Assets, etc... are gone. You have a huge write off, and you get nothing back on all of your designs.

By selling it, you're customers are happy as they still get support and they know that there is a future for them, and you get to pocket a little coin for your intellectual property. It's rare to hear of a company just packing it all in. Usually there is someone willing to buy it up. :wink: