View Full Version : Is any smartphone good for development?

shane99
01-31-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi!

I am planning, to by an SDA Smartphone (Qtek 8020) from a shop (not from a mobile operator). I read about the security model of smartphones (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsmtphn2k3/html/smartphone_security.asp)
and I would like to know, if a smartphone bought in a shop is good for development purposes. Now I got an SPV 200, it was good, but a newer one is needed.

Unfortunately it is an urgent question, I have to order it tommarow.

Thanks for the reply in advance!

Best regards,
S.

Mike Temporale
01-31-2005, 02:10 PM
As long as you're buying an unlocked phone, you're in good shape. I think the Qtek/i-mate phones are unlocked so you should be fine.

shane99
01-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. I also hope so, but I couldnt find any information about it.

BTW is it possible to bond the PC and a headset simulteniously the the phone? What headset should I prefer?

Best regards,
S.

Mike Temporale
01-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Over Bluetooth? No. The Bluetooth spec currently only supports 1 connection at a time. This is not a limit of your phone, or Windows Mobile, but a limit to what Bluetooth can handle at this time. Last I heard, there was talk of adding multiple connections to Bluetooth in the future.

In regards to what headset to get, there are a lot of posts about different bluetooth headsets in our forums. I would suggest doing a quick search and you should be able to find a lot of information.

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Another point on Bluetooth. It might be good to get a phone that doesnt have half of the Bluetooth features removed (like my Cingular MPx220). Depends on what you plan to develop though so it might not be an issue for you.

MitchellO
01-18-2006, 11:07 AM
The imates and Qteks would probably be the best because they are unlocked, unlike ones that you buy from a carrier that will likely be locked, and may have features disabled.

I believe BT profile disabling is a favourite of the carriers.

Another example of carrier annoyance is T-Mobile disabling 802.11g mode (54Mbit) in their version of the HTC Wizard. Other versions (aka ROMs) like the imates and Qteks all supported G.