View Full Version : Mark Cuban - My Cellphone, My Life

Mike Temporale
01-30-2005, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000217029301/' target='_blank'>http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000217029301/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"We aren’t there yet. Despite the technical advances, my cellphone/PDA won’t allow me to run my life. It does a nice job of helping me manage things. I can do email, which untethers me from my desk. I can take, send, watch and listen to movies and audio. All very nice. It’s the next generation or two that excite me and make me very, very curious. Here is what I expected from my next PDA/Phone beyond what I can buy today...."</i><br /><br />You'll have to read the rest of Mark Cuban's post to see what features he is looking forward to. I will say that most of them are already acheivable with Windows Mobile based devices, and the ones that aren't will require a lot of co-operation between the carriers, handset manufacturers and all vendors. If it was ever to happen, it would be really really cool. 8)

Jerry Raia
01-30-2005, 09:14 PM
I would agree that most is achievable now. Except when it comes to getting devices to work together. If you look at the struggles on this forum alone of people trying to get these things to talk to each other it is biblical in difficulty and the folks in here have a good knowledge base to start with.

Imagine if Einstein were still alive. Give him a laptop and a Bluetooth phone and tell him to connect the two together and use the phone as a modem. I'd say in about an hour he would throw both of them at you. Unfortunately as it is now only those who live and breathe this stuff can get it too work.....sometimes.

Kris Kumar
01-31-2005, 04:37 AM
I agree Jerry, the devices are still not as friendly, intuitive and smart as they should be or they claim to be.

My Smartphone has tons of features and can do a lot of things, but how often do I use all of its features. I rely on my Smartphone a lot, but there is still room for a lot more. It may again be a matter of habit. But the complexity of the menus or slow response or the lack of stability or the lack of confidence in the software/hardware often restricts me from depending on it completely. :-(

Lot of it is my fault. But I can't help it if I don't want to learn my device's quirks. I would want the device to adapt to my quirks. And that would be the best feature one could ask for. ;-)

Santa Fe
01-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Of course if our gadgets were as easy to use as our refrigerators we wouldn't need this web site (or is there a "Smart Refrigerator Thoughts" out there). Part of the fun of owning some of these devices is figuring them out. 8) I admit that I lost some of my attraction to autos when they became easier to use but harder to hot rod.

Jerry Raia
01-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Of course if our gadgets were as easy to use as our refrigerators we wouldn't need this web site (or is there a "Smart Refrigerator Thoughts" out there). Part of the fun of owning some of these devices is figuring them out. 8) I admit that I lost some of my attraction to autos when they became easier to use but harder to hot rod.

Kind of a job security thing? :lol:
But if they worked a bit more easily more might be sold, hence more devices, hence more new phones to buy. :)