View Full Version : Help this poor noob and his 5600 :-P

Cattle-Dog
01-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Hello all. I'm new hear, but do sometimes (rarely) post over at PPC-thoughts. I'm a long time PPC user, PC user, PC server admin, and I guess my fiance is right... all around dork. But in my free time I like to camp and have my fair share of beer, so I guess it balances out. :wink:

But this is starting to sound like a personal ad, so I'll make with the questions. lol

First off, I read and searched like crazy on both of these questions. Here, the Howard forums, just general google-ing... Nothing addressed either for me.

The first item is I cannot find out what one of my status icons are on my phone. This is my first ATTWS phone as well, FYI. It is a triangle shaped icon (a little tall like a teepee) anout a third of the way over from the left. I do not recall it being there when I first got the phone, but it is ALWAYS there now. :?: The only app I have installed so far is the connectedbits weather app.

The second is the dreaded "I can't sync via blutooth" whine. :oops: I've tried it all. I have an IO Gear bluetooth dongle and XPSP2. It appears to be running the MS bluetooth protocol stack as it should. I have both ports checked on the phone. I have deleted the pairing several times from both the phone and the PC, I have tried initiating the pairing from both devices, but nothing. They both do see each other. On the PC side I get a DUN and SPP services from the phone. However, when I try to invoke the Setup Active Sync over Bluetooth on the phone, it gives me an error that the phone has to be bonded with a device first and throws me into the BT setup screen. I believe I have literally tried just about every suggestion in this and the Howard forums.

One last and minor question. Anyone know why my local networks (carriers) are showing up as just numbers? Doesn't seem to hurt anything, just aesthetics.

Thansk!
Chad

Mike Temporale
01-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Welcome!

The first item is I cannot find out what one of my status icons are on my phone. This is my first ATTWS phone as well, FYI. It is a triangle shaped icon (a little tall like a teepee) anout a third of the way over from the left. I do not recall it being there when I first got the phone, but it is ALWAYS there now. :?: The only app I have installed so far is the connectedbits weather app.

I see that on occasion too. It's not listed in the manual, but the only time I see it is when my phone roams on another network.

The second is the dreaded "I can't sync via blutooth" whine. :oops: I've tried it all. ....

Have you walked through Kris's recent article on using your Smartphone as a Bluetooth modem for your laptop? I realize all of the article might not matter, but it does cover off setting up a partnership between your device and the laptop.

Cattle-Dog
01-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Welcome! Thanks!

I see that on occasion too. It's not listed in the manual, but the only time I see it is when my phone roams on another network.
Okay, that makes sense. Apparently it is a roaming indicator. I might know that if my networks didn't look like '369410'. It also makes sense in that the first few days I was only getting 0-2 bars of signal in my home. Now I can get a solid 4 bars any where in my home.

Have you walked through Kris's recent article on using your Smartphone as a Bluetooth modem for your laptop? I realize all of the article might not matter, but it does cover off setting up a partnership between your device and the laptop.

I have looked through it. As far as pairing, everything looks identical; with the exception I have a SPP port. I can get it that far, as least so the devices claim, and then when I go to actually do the BT setup it states I do not have a bond with any device and throws me into the BT setup menu. While there, I can clearly see my PC. (settings\bluetooth\bluetooth\menu\devices)

Now, besides the lighter blue with a white 'B" bluetooth icon in the task tray, for the bluetooth neighborhood, I have a darker blue with a red 'B' in it. I can only right click it and when I do it states there are no devices found. Is that correct?

Cattle-Dog
01-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Well, I had not given up. Through my ongoing searching, I found some one who not only was having the same problems I was having, but was kind enough to write up a step by step PDF on how he got his phone (C500 in this case) connected.

If any one else is having trouble, you can find it here (http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=119341).