View Full Version : Change button for killing the GPRS connection

snowroller
01-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi

I have a Qtek 8010 (SPV C500) and I have one problem. The "hang up" button on my phone is also the button for shutting down the GPRS connection. This would be fine, but, even though my keylock or/and device lock is turned on, it still works to shut down the GPRS connection! :(
This is very annoying as I planned to use my Messenger functionality while the phone is on my pocket, which turned in to a disapointing thing.

Anyone know how to change the button for this function or maybe remove the function completely as you can press the home button and do it that way. Better yet, anyone know how to get device/key-lock to include this button when it's turned on?

I'll be very grateful for responces, thanks in advance!

Kris Kumar
01-27-2005, 04:33 AM
I use the key lock with the GPRS connection active all the time. Like when I am stepping out of the house, I will start the mail sync and then lock the keypad and put the phone in my pocket.

I have an SP3i which is (almost) the same as C500.

Here's the trick:

- Single (quick) click of hangup button closes active GPRS or Voice call.
- Press and Hold down the hangup key. Do not release it till you see that the keypad is locked ("unlock" above the left soft key)

If the above does not work. Gently tap the Power button once and select the Keylock from the menu. Little tedious but will work for sure.

Mike Temporale
01-27-2005, 05:01 AM
I agree with Kris, I haven't had any problems with MSN or email not working while it's locked. Which means pressing and holding the hang up key doesn't kill the data sessions.

snowroller
01-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi again. I t looks like this is a problem with the Qtek 8010 then. I've tried both procedures that was mentioned above, and even though I lock the phone with the powerbutton, I still kill the GPRS connection if I tap the hang-up button.
So I guess I'll have to wait for a rom update to fix this, or is there any way of configuring the button?

Mike Temporale
01-27-2005, 11:59 AM
From MSN Messenger, hit the home button, then press and hold the end key. You keypad will lock, but you will remain logged into MSN. I do this all the time, and have done it on all of my phones. So I would be a little surprised if Qtek messed it up now. :)

snowroller
01-28-2005, 07:07 AM
So I would be a little surprised if Qtek messed it up now. :)
Prepare for a surprise, it still kills the connection, I have noe tried every available combination of locks, both keylock and device lock and it still keeps the button for killing the gprs connection unlocked. This is starting to annoy me, so I guess I'll have to contact brightpoint and hear what they have to say.

encece
01-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Use SmartEaseShell.
It's a small app that allows persistent GPRS connections (which has been turned off in the e200 forward). It also allows you to turn on/off cleartype. Look for the shortcut in your accessories folder when you install. Since I cant post a file here, I posted it on Modaco here:
http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=106437&st=20&p=542526&

Kris Kumar
01-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Good suggestion, encece. :)

Let us know if it works out.

snowroller
01-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Use SmartEaseShell.
It's a small app that allows persistent GPRS connections (which has been turned off in the e200 forward). It also allows you to turn on/off cleartype. Look for the shortcut in your accessories folder when you install. Since I cant post a file here, I posted it on Modaco here:
http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=106437&st=20&p=542526&

Perfect!!! This worked like a charm, and exactly what I was looking for. Now the connection stays online untill I actively shut it down!

Just one question now that I've installed the app, what is cleartype? It's obviously something that som people are not happy with, so I'm just curious :wink:

Thanks for all the help people, it's been priceless :D

Kris Kumar
01-31-2005, 01:24 PM
ClearType when enabled is supposed to improve the on screen font. If you find that the characters appear jagged or pixelated; ClearType smoothens them out or rounds out the edges. This improves the appearance and readability of the fonts on the screen.

However, ClearType does not always work the way it claims to work. ;-) And while rounding the edges of the font or smoothening the characters, it makes them two blotchy or may make it look smeared. Like in case of SMT5600/Typhoons. I noticed that ClearType works well in pocket IE. But for the system menus (Start menu) and other apps like e-mail, ClearType does not work well.

Give it a try. I believe you have to reboot the phone after you enable/disable the setting.

Kris Kumar
01-31-2005, 01:26 PM
And this (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeInfo.mspx) might help. ;-)