View Full Version : Chalked Full Of Memory

Mike Temporale
01-23-2005, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36516&highlight=memory+upgrade' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36516&highlight=memory+upgrade</a><br /><br /></div>The guys at Pocket PC Techs are always working hard at providing the Pocket PC community with cool accessories, upgrades, and lets not forget about the repairs. :wink: I was a little disappointed to read that they now have a memory upgrade for the new JAM/O2 XDA Mini/Qtek S100 Series Pocket PC Phone Edition device, and nothing to offer the Smartphone community. :( I would love to see a memory upgrade for those of us using Smartphones. What do you think of an extra 64, 128, or 256 MB hard wired into your phone?

vincenzosi
01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
It's funny because on one hand, I feel like the 32 megs I have isn't enough, but if I check the memory utilization, I'm not even using 10% yet...

I guess there's never such thing as too much memory, but still... It would probably be just an example of W?BIC rather than something someone would actually need.

IMHO, of course.

Jerry Raia
01-23-2005, 06:18 PM
I want as much memory that they can stuff into it. You can never have too much memory.

What were we talking about again? :confused totally:

vincenzosi
01-23-2005, 06:22 PM
In the back of my mind I"m also thinking they're going to charge an arm and a leg for it; seeing as they do great work and don't hesitate to charge for it...

Jerry Raia
01-23-2005, 06:27 PM
In the back of my mind I"m also thinking they're going to charge an arm and a leg for it; seeing as they do great work and don't hesitate to charge for it...

If so it then might become an issue of how long you keep your phones. I usually get a new phone once a year. At some point it won't pay to upgrade the phone.

Janak Parekh
01-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I think PPCTechs, as their name implies, has traditionally targeted Pocket PCs. Mike, have you sent them an email about the possibility of Smartphone upgrades? I don't know if they've even looked into it at this point.

--janak

jfreiman
01-23-2005, 10:19 PM
I think PPCTechs, as their name implies, has traditionally targeted Pocket PCs. Mike, have you sent them an email about the possibility of Smartphone upgrades? I don't know if they've even looked into it at this point.

--janak

Believe it or not, I sent an inquiry to www.pocketpctechs.com back in November and I got a reply from them.

"We have someone sending in that unit for inspection. We will release any upgrades possible after the unit has been upgraded."

The reply was Dated Dec 1, 2004.

I haven't heard anything back yet, but I'm hopefull.

Mike Temporale
01-23-2005, 11:00 PM
It's funny because on one hand, I feel like the 32 megs I have isn't enough, but if I check the memory utilization, I'm not even using 10% yet...

I guess there's never such thing as too much memory, but still... It would probably be just an example of W?BIC rather than something someone would actually need.

IMHO, of course.

True, but I would love to keep my 512 miniSD card free for music and have all the programs loaded into the faster system memory. :D

Kris Kumar
01-23-2005, 11:19 PM
I am probably one of those few who is content with the factory installed memory.

I would want Microsoft to enable the storage of emails and attachments on the Storage Card.

And also enable the ability to map the My Documents folder onto the Storage Card, instead of maintaining a parallel one.

Mike Temporale
01-23-2005, 11:21 PM

--janak

Well, no I haven't. I was thinking that it would be best to see how much interest there was in this idea first. Ya, that's the ticket. :wink: :lol:

LWesson
02-04-2005, 08:13 AM

--janak

Well, no I haven't. I was thinking that it would be best to see how much interest there was in this idea first. Ya, that's the ticket. :wink: :lol:

Yes, we are interested. The upgrades are going to be more difficult than on Pocket PCs since most of the chips are glued in place.

Of the smartphones out there, what are the top 3 most popular?

Mike Temporale
02-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Yes, we are interested. The upgrades are going to be more difficult than on Pocket PCs since most of the chips are glued in place.

Glued? Somehow that doesn't seem like a good design to me. Over time, would the glue be more likely to loosen, thus allowing the chips to move? :?

Of the smartphones out there, what are the top 3 most popular?

I think the HTC Typhoon design is easily the most popular. It's been rebranded as the following devices: Audiovox SMT5600, Orange C500, i-mate SP3, Qtek 8010, dopod 565, just to name a few. :wink: Also, there is the cousin of this phone - They are both based on the same internal workings, just offer a different shape, and controls. I can't remember the HTC name for this design, but it's known as the T-Mobile SDA/SDA Music, i-mate SP3i, Qtek 8020.

Second place would be a little harder to determine, since the MPx220 isn't fully available outside the US yet. So I would give second to MPx220 &amp; MPx200. After that, I would say guess the Samsung i600.

LWesson
02-04-2005, 04:39 PM

Glued? Somehow that doesn't seem like a good design to me. Over time, would the glue be more likely to loosen, thus allowing the chips to move? :?

They are still soldered in, but they are also glued to add stability in case the unit is dropped.

I think the HTC Typhoon design is easily the most popular. It's been rebranded as the following devices: Audiovox SMT5600, Orange C500, i-mate SP3, Qtek 8010, dopod 565, just to name a few. :wink: Also, there is the cousin of this phone - They are both based on the same internal workings, just offer a different shape, and controls. I can't remember the HTC name for this design, but it's known as the T-Mobile SDA/SDA Music, i-mate SP3i, Qtek 8020.

Second place would be a little harder to determine, since the MPx220 isn't fully available outside the US yet. So I would give second to MPx220 &amp; MPx200. After that, I would say guess the Samsung i600.

Then we'll take a look at the typhoon and see if we can work any magic on it.

Mike Temporale
02-04-2005, 04:54 PM
They are still soldered in, but they are also glued to add stability in case the unit is dropped.

Oh, good. I was kind of wondering about that. :D

Then we'll take a look at the typhoon and see if we can work any magic on it.

:werenotworthy: Thanks!