View Full Version : MPx220 and AOL email help needed

otty
01-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I utilize AOL for email. I can receive my email, but I am unable to send any email through aol. Can anybody suggest what I can do. Thanks.

Kris Kumar
01-22-2005, 06:20 AM
I don't have an AOL account, but something you can try..

In the mailbox: Menu->Options->Account Setup->select the AOL account->keep clicking next till you get to the Incoming/Outgoing server settings.

Make sure that "Outgoing server requires authentication" is checked.

Also there is a link to an additonal screen called "Outgoing server settings". In case your outgoing password is different than the mailbox, you must fill it in here. Otherwise you are okay. And in case AOL outgoing server requires SSL. This is the screen to enable it.

otty
01-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Kris,

Thanks for your reply. I tried all of the settings you suggested, both together and individually and nothing worked. I receive mail fine, but I get the following message "The messages could not be sent. Verify that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct and then try again."

Any further suggestions, or anyone with AOL and the MPX 220 who can give me their settings would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Temporale
01-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Based on that error message, it sounds to me like the problem is your GPRS settings and not mail. Can you surf the web using PIE?

otty
01-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Mike,

I can surf the web, but I don't know what PIE is.

Mike Temporale
01-24-2005, 05:22 PM
PIE = Pocket Internet Explorer. :wink:

otty
01-24-2005, 05:32 PM
PIE is Pocket Internet Explorer . . . and I thought I was going to have to work out some highly technical formula. I can use PIE so I do have internet access, and I do receive messages when I select send & receive messages. It just doesn't send the outgoing messages.

Kris Kumar
01-24-2005, 07:39 PM
I guess we will have to wait for a reader who accesses AOL account on his/her Smartphone. :-(

Have you used your AOL account to send mail from another mobile device, like Pocket PC or another non-Microsoft Smartphone?

Could be that AOL is blocking the SMTP server to unknown hosts/devices. A usual tactic to prevent its mail servers from being used by Spammers.

otty
01-24-2005, 07:57 PM
I previously used a pocket PC with a dial up connection to access AOL. It worked fine.

Kris Kumar
01-24-2005, 08:05 PM
I previously used a pocket PC with a dial up connection to access AOL. It worked fine.

Were you dialed in to AOL, I mean you had dialed an AOL number and gained access to the mail box?

Or were you using a cell-phone's internet connection on PPC?

With the former you are connected to the AOL network, i.e. you PPC becomes a part of the AOL network and is therefore trusted by the aOL mail server.

I recommend sending a quick mail to the AOL support and asking them if they restrict sending mail using their mail servers, if you are connecting to it using a network that is not AOL's.

On the Smartphone you are on the carrier's network (the IP address is assigned by carrier and not by AOL), so the mail server may be denying anything that is from an external entity.

otty
01-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Kris,

I will check this out with AOL. Thanks.

scotsman
02-02-2005, 01:53 AM
I use AOL as my ISP for my PC, but I use Outlook to send e-mail through AOL servers. They use 143 for IMAP and 587 for SMTP, not sure if this applies.

rzanology
02-03-2005, 09:43 PM
I’ve used the aol software on ppc. That’s the only way I know to get aol e-mail to work. I believe the problem here is, the os does not have the advanced options to allow you to input the server port numbers for incoming and outgoing numbers….therefore it will not authenticate correctly. Im sorry to say I’ve found no way around it. I guess we’ll have to wait till aol releases the mobile aol client for smart phones. 

Kris Kumar
02-04-2005, 03:02 AM
I’ve used the aol software on ppc. That’s the only way I know to get aol e-mail to work. I believe the problem here is, the os does not have the advanced options to allow you to input the server port numbers for incoming and outgoing numbers….therefore it will not authenticate correctly. Im sorry to say I’ve found no way around it. I guess we’ll have to wait till aol releases the mobile aol client for smart phones. 

I am not sure if this would work but have you tried
outgoingmailserver.com:portnumber

e.g.
smtp.aolserver.com:587

Note: I don't know the AOL SMTP server address, just wrote a dummy name to show the name:port combination. :-)

rzanology
02-04-2005, 07:16 PM
hmmm good point....might work i'll try it when i get home.

rzanology
02-04-2005, 07:32 PM
hey kris....you're right it worked like a charm.

Kris Kumar
02-04-2005, 08:21 PM
hey kris....you're right it worked like a charm.

Awesome..thanks for the update.