View Full Version : Should Mobile Phones Activate Alarms when Taking Pictures?

Jason Dunn
01-13-2005, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_011005_cellphones.html' target='_blank'>http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_011005_cellphones.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The New Jersey Assembly is considering a controversial new law restricting the use of cell phone cameras. It would require all of them to be equipped with sound or light signals. Supporters say it would warn subjects their photos were being taken. Opponents say the law is not enforceable, and is likely to be ignored by cell phone manufacturers. "</i><br /><br />Seems some government official types in New Jersey think that passing a law will protect the privacy of citizens who don't want to be photographed by camera phones. The obvious problem here is that phone makers aren't going to make phones specifically for the New Jersey market - a law like this would have to be at the national level. Even then, if the government were to start banning the sale of phones that didn't screech when a photo was taken, people would just turn to the grey market to get the phones they want. Ultimately the law is a poor way to resolve technological problems, so I can't see this being very successful. What do you think?

Jerry Raia
01-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Maybe it would be more comprehensive if we just required a sound whenever you look at somebody.

Kris Kumar
01-13-2005, 02:15 AM
I can see where this is headed...

Soon the camera phone packaging will include a tag "Disabling the camera shutter beep sound is violation of Federal law xyz and can lead to fine or imprisonment or both."

I am guessing that this requirement will soon cover regular cameras also, the law may require certain cameras that are smaller than a certain size to have the beep sound. Whereas cameras Canon Digital Rebel or SLRs are allowed to have no beeps.

Mike Temporale
01-13-2005, 02:19 AM
people would just turn to the grey market to get the phones they want.

Or use any of the pocketable digital cameras on the market today. And then there's the whole spy camera thing. Seems like some of these government guys have too much free time on their hands.

MichaelC
01-13-2005, 02:48 AM
I vote for a light signal instead of an audio one.

And duct tape.

Phoenix
01-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I think a phone should sing out through the speakerphone with a high creepy voice that says "Hee hee hee hee! I took a pick-chair of yoo!" everytime a photo is snapped.

Bacco
01-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I think a phone should sing out through the speakerphone with a high creepy voice that says "Hee hee hee hee! I took a pick-chair of yoo!" everytime a photo is snapped.

You forgot the banjo music in the background :lol:

phillypocket
01-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Well long before that innovation I want:

Cell phone that deactivates and fines you when placed against the face in a moving car.

Deactivates and fines you when used in a darkened theater

Shocks the crap out of you if you discuss your personal business in a loud vouice in a public venue.

Shocks and melts if it detects a purchased ring tone from jamster.com

Kris Kumar
01-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Shocks and melts if it detects a purchased ring tone from jamster.com

I second that one.

:rotfl:

Kris Kumar
01-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Well long before that innovation I want:

Cell phone that deactivates and fines you when placed against the face in a moving car.

Deactivates and fines you when used in a darkened theater

Shocks the crap out of you if you discuss your personal business in a loud vouice in a public venue.

As for the above ones...looks like Samsung is working on it... ;-)

Samsung’s Motion-Recognizing Phone Marks Tech Revolution

Wednesday, 12 January 2005

Samsung Electronics announced Wednesday the development of the world first motion-recognizing cell phone (SCH-S310) responding to consecutive human body movements. SCH-S310 will usher in a new era in the way how people use their handset, the company added.

The above news is from TelecomsKorea.com.

altden2002
01-14-2005, 04:28 AM
Maybe it would be more comprehensive if we just required a sound whenever you look at somebody.

Jerry Raia wins the trhead, there is not hing more to add here really.