View Full Version : Phone Freezes up, anyone else having this problem?

Dan-CA
01-07-2005, 03:42 PM
This is my 2nd i600 and every so often it just freezes up, buttons don't work etc. The only way to get out of it is to remove the battery.

Anyone else having the same problem and what to do about it

Silly huh? for a $500 phone

Dan

Mike Temporale
01-07-2005, 04:58 PM
It's not a common complaint, in fact I don't think I've seen anyone mention it.

Do you have any 3rd party apps installed? Prehaps one of them is causing the problem.

Dan-CA
01-07-2005, 05:18 PM
I know it is strange

I have the Oxios " Hibernate" problem to close anything running in the background.

I also have the pocket streets for snartphones loaded onto a 1 gig SD card whenever I use the PS program I free up memory afterward using the Oxiosprogram.

Dan

Mike Temporale
01-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Two programs that I've never used.... Not that it means anything.

Just a suggestion, if it happens again, hard reset the device, and try it for a while without those apps installed. If you still have problems then it has to be phone related.

Jerry Raia
01-08-2005, 08:30 PM
I remember this happening on my old i600 occasionally. Had to remove the battery as well to fix it. Is it the 2003 upgraded version?

Bugwart
01-15-2005, 07:01 PM
My original OKI 900 (AMPS) phone never locked up. Since then, almost every phone that I have owned has locked up. The cause is software bugs.

As we expect our handsets to do more and more, the software becomes more and more complex. A consequence of this increase in complexity is more bugs.

Fortunately, the sotware is improving. For example, WM2002 had unfortunate consequences when it locked up. My i600 would lose its identity and I gernerally had to hard reset and re-install aps.

WM2003 might lock up once in a while, but it re-starts without problem.

If you browse the forums on HoFo you will find that lock up is a problem with all brands and all OSes. The good news is that the software is improving.

This laptop is set up as dual boot. It has the very worst OS (Win Me) and the best OS (XP Pro) that Microsoft has made.

coaldat6
01-18-2005, 11:21 PM
I have the same problem with my i600. I have WM2003 and every now and then the phone just freezes and i have to restart it.

Its a little frustrating, but i just pull off the battery and turn it back on. Hopefully the next few versions will leave the O/S cleaner and less buggy.

one028
01-19-2005, 06:20 AM
i just found this forum trying to search for my problem. my "0" button sometimes does not repond when pressed. its only the 0 button that gives me this problem. i have to keep pressing it over and over or hold the button down to get it to work. its happned about 5 times in the month that i have had this phone. it gets annoying and i just want to make sure this isnt a know bug or issue with this phone.

Jerry Raia
01-19-2005, 07:47 AM
As this goes on I have to wonder if Motorola even has a Quality Control department.

Dan-CA
03-11-2005, 06:22 AM
I spent some time on the phone with Samsung Tech support. They say the problem of the phone freezing up is from using 3rd party equip. like the Verizon Car charger I had. mmmmmMMMMM

How's that for pointing the finger? At this point I had 5-6 i600 phones replaced or swaped, never had loaded a 3rd party software program only did an active sync reloaded all my contacts by hand and the i600 still locked up. Finally I told Verizon after 6 months and 6 phones they need to refund my money and they did!

Jerry Raia
03-11-2005, 10:03 AM
I spent some time on the phone with Samsung Tech support. They say the problem of the phone freezing up is from using 3rd party equip. like the Verizon Car charger I had. mmmmmMMMMM

How's that for pointing the finger? At this point I had 5-6 i600 phones replaced or swaped, never had loaded a 3rd party software program only did an active sync reloaded all my contacts by hand and the i600 still locked up. Finally I told Verizon after 6 months and 6 phones they need to refund my money and they did!

They tried to blame the car charger??? Pretty weak but no surprise.

issaquahtom
05-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Mine looses its settings for exchange email, instant messenger, ownership, timezone, etc. about every week or so, it does seem to be tied to the car charger, as it usally happens if I turn the car off before disconnecting the phone. Today I got the red blinking light of death... had to delete all data and sync back up again.

Is there any type of scripting or backup so I can restore all my settings say off of my datacard -

redman
05-12-2005, 01:33 PM
I have had my i600 (upgraded to WM2003) for about 9 months and it works fairly well, good enough where the benefits outweigh the frustration. I have had a recurring problem when I have a "missed call" the phone frequently freezes and I have to pull the battery. I only once though had lost some settings early on, but now I pull the battery and everything is still there (knock on wood). I also get the ocassional freeze where I am doing some minor phone activity and it will not let me do anything else, but this is not too frequent.

I do have many third party apps. loaded now, but I had all of these issues before I loaded any apps., so the addition of the apps. do not seem to have worsened my issues any. I realy do like the benefits of having all my info in my pocket and can't wait for the next gen. phones when I hope they have a few more of these problems corrected...

Cheers!

lowrider200088
03-05-2006, 03:26 PM
My i600 (the 3rd) freezes up about once every 2 weeks on average. I pull the battery and then it's fine but I really shouldn't have to do that. The only 3rd party app. I have on the phone is "Powertasks" (which, by the way, is outstanding). Also, it seems that it takes an unusually long time to boot up which "forces" me to simply turn the phone off at night (flight mode).