View Full Version : Neowin.net Unveils...

Mike Temporale
01-05-2005, 01:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=26524&category=main' target='_blank'>http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=26524&category=main</a><br /><br /></div>At Microsoft's request, I've removed this post and the image. Neowin took down their article and their comments, but I'm leaving up the comments as a compromise. So for those of you who saw it, consider yourself lucky. To those that might have the article cached or whatnot, please don't re-publish it in the thread - thanks.

Jerry Raia
01-05-2005, 02:02 AM
This looks really good. I'm especially happy about the new version of Active Sync. If in fact the MPx220 is the test bed then I bet there is a chance they might offer the upgrade. I think it would be great PR for this phone to offer the upgrade. However, the risk of a total meltdown like the i600 upgrade might prevent them from doing that.

Kris Kumar
01-05-2005, 02:17 AM
ActiveSync was definitely long overdue. I like the fact that you can sync Photos associated with contacts. Love the full screen browser, every millimeter of extra space counts. :-)

As for MPx220 upgrade. I will not count on it. This is Moto we are talking about. They did not release WM2003 for MPx200. They did not even release the firmware update with fixes after it botched up the launch.

But I am sure of one thing. A lot of MPx220 will be sold because of this PR being generated by Microsoft using MPx220 for testing Magneto. Lot of people will buy MPx220 hoping that there will be an upgrade. Moto will not deny it. And when Magneto is released. Moto will maintain an air of mystery. :evil:

altden2002
01-05-2005, 02:35 AM
Let us stay rational here. There is no way one can test WiFi on mpx220 becasue it has not wifi hardare and there is no wifi card to fit into miniSD slot.
They must refer to mpx200 instead, which makes a lot more sense with its externally-accessible full-size SD slot.

Jerry Raia
01-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Let us stay rational here. There is no way one can test WiFi on mpx220 becasue it has not wifi hardare and there is no wifi card to fit into miniSD slot.
They must refer to mpx200 instead, which makes a lot more sense with its externally-accessible full-size SD slot.

You really think they would put 2005 on the MPx200??

Kris Kumar
01-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Good point..

But then I am sure that Microsoft is not testing all the pieces. e.g. WM2003 was tested on MPx200. And MPx200 did not have Bluetooth, which was part of WM2003 support.

Plus MPx200 has only 32MB of ROM if I am not mistaken. Not sure if the new OS will fit on it.

The Wifi probably will be tested on special hardware or on Pocket PC Phone Edition, which shares some of the same hardware characteristics and common code.

Jerry Raia
01-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Well, I'll be honest here. I'll probably be the first goof to go and buy what ever phone 2005 shows up on that runs on either of the carriers I use. Knowing Verizon's fear of Bluetooth it would probably be a Cingular phone.

Mike Temporale
01-05-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm sure they are testing this on more than just the MPx220. The 220 may be the only phone that has been leaked, but I can assure you that this would be running on a number of different hardware platforms for testing.

Regardless, I would not expect Motorola to release any sort of upgrade. I hope that I am wrong, and the they have learned from their previous mistakes, but don't count on it.

Jerry Raia
01-05-2005, 03:03 AM
No I guess you are right. It's too bad too. I really like the MPx220 form factor. Hopefully 2005 shows up on a platform that exceeds our expectations instead of not.

Kris Kumar
01-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Moto can make $25-$50 profit per MPx220, if they chose to release it. ;-) If they are smart, they can recover the loss they made because of the returns on the MPx220s from the stupid launch. (Think of Compaq and the Pocket PC 2002 for iPaq 3600)

Let's see what they do.

PPCMD
01-05-2005, 03:13 AM
For the price I have neither the confidence or the willingness to hold my breath for Moto to release on OS upgrade. I will upgrade and move on to the next gen MPx230 or whatever as long as it has the next OS. Samsung burned me on the I700 upgrade and that was a foot dragging time.

So yeah I would like it but I am not not banking or planning on it.

Mike Temporale
01-05-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm really excited about WiFi, it's something that I've wanted on my Smartphone for a while. And especially built-in. :drool:

I wonder who will be the first to release a device running Magneto? Given the past track record of HTC and Orange, I think we all know the answer.

:D

Jerry Raia
01-05-2005, 03:19 AM
So now I have to move to Europe??

Mike Temporale
01-05-2005, 05:29 AM
At Microsoft's request, I've removed this post and the image. Neowin took down their article and their comments, but I'm leaving up the comments as a compromise. So for those of you who saw it, consider yourself lucky. :wink: To those that might have the article cached or whatnot, please don't re-publish it in the thread - thanks.

TANKERx
01-05-2005, 12:35 PM
I think that this is a step in the right direction for Microsoft. And am I the only one to think that the application launcher look remarkably that that used on another Smartphone platform? :lol:

PPCMD
01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
It is a good direction but MS is taking the long route to get the features out that users wanted and needed before this release. My question is how long after its released will we see phones in the US that will carry it?

Mike Temporale
01-05-2005, 02:16 PM
And am I the only one to think that the application launcher look remarkably that that used on another Smartphone platform? :lol:

It's also exactly like the one on the Pocket PC. :wink: The line is getting blury....

Mike Temporale
01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
It is a good direction but MS is taking the long route to get the features out that users wanted and needed before this release. My question is how long after its released will we see phones in the US that will carry it?

With WM 2003 SE it took about 8 months. We first saw SE at the developers conference in March and the phones didn't hit the streets in North America until November. Now, they did get released in Europe earlier, but only a month or 2, I think.

PPCMD
01-06-2005, 04:40 AM
I wonder if Moto will forgo the update on the MPx220 and put into the MPx230. Since that would be the only reason to upgrade.