View Full Version : Using MPX220 as Bluetooth modem with Axim x50v

boomer_sooner
12-31-2004, 11:10 PM
After lurking here for some time and getting some VERY useful advice (thanks to everyone), I've finally got a problem that I can't find a solution for. Just got an MPX220 the other day (1.3fw) and am trying to use my Axim x50v to connect to the phone via Bluetooth to surf the Web. I've seen alot of suggestions as to how this can be done, but none of them are working.

Is there anything else I need to set on the phone besides turning on BT and ensuring that I can connect to GPRS from the phone? On the PPC, I've set up a BT dial-up connection using *99# to connect. The problem comes about when I actually go to connect and need to manually enter the connection string... the PPC hangs and needs a soft reset.

Maybe I should post this on a Dell board somewhere, just thought I'd try here since the MPX220 is what actually provides the connection.

Thanks in advance for all/any advice.

Jim

boomer_sooner
01-01-2005, 01:17 AM
When simply trying to pair my x50v and MPX220, I can get them to communicate to the point of entering the passkey in the phone. Once I do that, the x50v says that pairing failed because of an "error while attempting service discovery." Anyone know what the hell this means? :really mad: ::beginning to get very irritated::

Mike Temporale
01-01-2005, 02:22 AM
Interesting problem. There are 3 modes for Bluetooth, Off, On, and Discoverable. When one device is attempting to find the second device, the second device must be in discoverable mode. Once the 2 devices have connected and paired, you no longer need the device in discoverable mode.

boomer_sooner
01-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the reply, Mike. That's about the only BT settings I can find on the phone and I did have it set to DISCOVERABLE during the pairing process (or pairing attempt, since I get the same error I mentioned earlier). I've tried it a few times, and get the same error each time.

I really think the problem lies in whatever is causing me to get this error when attempting to pair. I "Googled" the error message and came across others who have gotten the same thing, but no fixes. :?

Kris Kumar
01-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I think it is time for me to power up my MPx220 and test this out with the new firmware.

Have been asked on the forum a bunch of times about this problem. So it is time I did some investigation. And I will write a guide also. 8)

But you guys have to give me time till tomorrow morning. Also I need to test the picture quality on the MPx220. Man! wish Motorola had made a good release, it would have saved so much of our time and frustration.

boomer_sooner
01-02-2005, 05:33 AM
Thanks, Kris. A guide would be MUCH appreciated. I think I made a breakthrough of sorts today, as I actually got the x50v and MPx220 to pair, but only after selecting the "Explore a Bluetooth Device" option on the x50v. Still, after successfully pairing, I can't connect to GPRS on the phone. Here are the connection settings I'm using for Cingular:

Number to dial: *99#
Username: [email protected]
Password: CINGULAR1
Manual modem connection string: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular","",0,0d*99#

GPRS works properly on the MPX220. When I try to connect using the PDA, the phone doesn't appear to do anything at all. Should it?

gapfilmvideo
01-03-2005, 07:26 PM
it is a problem many of us have encountered... i can't get it to work either....used to do it with no problem on my v600 with ipaq2215....question does your ppc have a bluetooth dialer option in outlook.....it should tell the phone to dial if they have been paired.....i had this function intermittently on .342 but can't even get that now with 1.3 ....check pdagal threads she seems to have it working with a ipaq 4700 but she is a developer/reviewer and probably received a bug free device and the 4700 is a newer stronger pda/ppc then mine.....that all being siad ...if it worked with a v600 it should work effortlessly with a mpx220....hopefeully kris can get to the bottom of this....keep me posted if you resolve please.....i want to dial in to mindspring driving tdown the road again...

boomer_sooner
01-09-2005, 03:30 AM
Just wanted to post an update on my newly found success. Just finished surfing the Web on my X30h via BT thru my MPx220! I got rid of my X50v a few days ago because of the BT and a few other things I didn't like (besides the screen - that is SWEET!). Anyway, first try on the X30h and it's working like a champ. I can also Activesync with the desktop over BT.

For GPRS over BT, the settings I'm using are:

Number to dial: *99#
Username: [email protected]
Password: CINGULAR1

Jim

gapfilmvideo
01-10-2005, 03:36 PM
boomer_sooner
good for you glad to hear it....have you tried to connect to isp other than cingular?......earthlink, aol some other typical dial up account????...

kris....
any head way on your research.....did you ever get a chance to put together a guide.....in case anybody hasn't noticed.....i am most interested in less expensive but slower dialup to my earthlnk account.....

Kris Kumar
01-13-2005, 05:16 AM
Hi folks...

Sorry have been extremely tied up in the evenings and last weekend. Waiting for this weekend. :oops:

I am not sure if I will be able to try out an ISP based connection.

Meanwhile I am assuming that all of you have taken a look at the awesome Geekzone BT (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449) guides.

boomer_sooner
01-13-2005, 05:25 AM
boomer_sooner
good for you glad to hear it....have you tried to connect to isp other than cingular?......earthlink, aol some other typical dial up account????...
Nope. I don't have access to a regular dial-up ISP. Used to have SBC Yahoo Dial, but upgraded my account awhile back to SBC Yahoo DSL. GPRS surfing on my X30 via BT is still working great!

Meanwhile I am assuming that all of you have taken a look at the awesome Geekzone BT guides.
Kris: Thanks for the link. I checked it out real quick... I think I'll spend quite a bit of time there reading. Lots of info, it looks like!

gapfilmvideo
01-14-2005, 02:08 PM
can't thank you enough kris and boomer......can't believe it is not possible...(dialup to isp using ppc and phone modem) ...this is the thing that is bothering me most now re: this phone

boomer_sooner
01-14-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying I don't have an account with a dial-up ISP to try it. I'll see if I can borrow a friend's account, just to test it out and I'll post the results.

little john
01-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Boomer,

You don't need a dial-up account, you could try to connect to any number it doesn't have to be a ISP. If the number rings through that should be enough to get connected to an ISP.

~lj

boomer_sooner
01-17-2005, 04:47 AM
I tried having it dial my home number and it didn't work. Is there a specific modem init string I should use? I tried with and without the string I use to get it to connect via GPRS and it didn't work.

Kris Kumar
01-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Folks, I am still working on the how to..it is almost done. But running into some tech glitches. :-( I usually take screen shots of Smartphone screen on the desktop PC using ActiveSync connection. But for this I had to use an app running on the phone, which didnt work the way I thought it would. So I have screen shots for laptop, pocket pc, but no Smartphone.

Also my MPx220 which I had to pull out from the freezer is not connecting to the internet. :-( I had to hard reset. Before I post the article I want to test the steps on MPx220. I did the whole writeup using the SP3i.

Please bear with me for a day more. Thanks...

Kris Kumar
01-17-2005, 02:07 PM
I tried having it dial my home number and it didn't work. Is there a specific modem init string I should use? I tried with and without the string I use to get it to connect via GPRS and it didn't work.

I will try dialing a ISP number as well. My current writeup is for the *99# or using the cell phone's internet connection.

boomer_sooner
01-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Please bear with me for a day more. Thanks...

No problem, Kris. *99# is what I use to access GPRS. I think there might be a different modem init string when dialing an actual phone number because at the end of the string I use for GPRS, there is *99# again: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular","",0,0d*99#

little john
01-17-2005, 04:23 PM
I recently was told u needed to have atleast the minimal data plan to dial an ISP. The data plan will give you CSD, with a CSD account you can then use your phone to dial an ISP. You won't be charged for data when dialing ur ISP just minutes. So know i need to sign up for a minimal account at Cingular, I think it is 3.99 a month.

hth,
~lj

boomer_sooner
01-18-2005, 04:23 AM
I recently was told u needed to have atleast the minimal data plan to dial an ISP. The data plan will give you CSD, with a CSD account you can then use your phone to dial an ISP. You won't be charged for data when dialing ur ISP just minutes. So know i need to sign up for a minimal account at Cingular, I think it is 3.99 a month.

What is CSD? I'm on the Cingular $19.99 unlimited data plan. I think what I'm looking for is the correct modem init string when using the phone for ISP dial-up, not GPRS connectivity.

gapfilmvideo
01-18-2005, 02:05 PM
boomer sooner and lj:
the thing that confounds me most is that the phone will dial (even earthlink isp #) from outlook - contacts....highlight entry select dial via bluetooth......i just can't make it work in connections manager-connect to the internet -dial up using bluetooth modem.....

Kris Kumar
01-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Okay here is another update (lately I have been giving only updates and no real thing) :oops:

- MPx220 and SP3i/HTC Typhoon are well behaved when it comes to pairing with laptop and connecting to internet; It is pretty straightforward. Ask me questions and the how to guide is on its way.

- Pocket PC and SP3i/HTC Typhoon no brainer, only special things needed are that on the PPC for the dial up connection, set the speed to 115K instead of the 14K/19K, uncheck "wait for dial tone", no extra modem commands needed and no other setting needed. Dial using "*99#"

- Pocket PC and MPx220 : The problem child. I can confirm that it is a problem child. Here is the weird thing. I have used the MPx220 as modem with the above settings, but with the original firmware. But the latest firmware does not respond to the dialup connections. :twisted: The only way I got to respond was by specifying "Enter dialing commands manually". This is because the "Extra dialing modem commands" does not take the long connection string. :? The input box has a size limit. But by saying "Enter dialing commands manually", you get a big box during the dialup process. In that box enter AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","<apn_here>","",0,0 or maybe AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","<apn_here>","",0,0d*99#. It was too late in the night and I gave up. But with these commands the MPx220 was "responding".

And to Motorola. Thanks for making our lives easy. What did you do between original version and new version. :?

little john
01-19-2005, 07:24 PM
CSD = Circuit Switched Data (dial-up), all of the cingular data plans are suppose to have this turned on. You may want to call them and make sure your account is setup for CSD. Once CSD is on I have been told you need to enter the number as +123-456-7890, make sure you put the +. I don't have a dataplan, so I have not tried this yet. I have an issue with them charging me more to make a data phone call.

When ever you enter the string *99# it is Using GPRS so that doesn't help those of us trying to get to a different ISP. You will deffinatly need a data account to use *99#.

Everyone I have talked to says the init string isn't needed.

HTH,
LJ

Kris Kumar
01-20-2005, 03:48 AM

Hey boomer_sooner, I noticed that you have wap.cingular as the APN. Is that a typo? Did you mean wap.cingular.com?

The method that you described is what I am using. The only difference, I am on T-Mobile.

boomer_sooner
01-20-2005, 05:25 AM
Hey boomer_sooner, I noticed that you have wap.cingular as the APN. Is that a typo? Did you mean wap.cingular.com?

Nope, it's "wap.cingular". I have the modem init string in a txt file on the X30 and each time I go to connect via GPRS on the MPx220, I copy and paste that string into the big dialog box. I hit the enter key after pasting, it pauses for a second, then says CONNECT and I'm able to surf on the X30. Also, of the connection strings you mentioned, I'm only able to get it to work with the latter (*99# at the end).

CSD = Circuit Switched Data (dial-up), all of the cingular data plans are suppose to have this turned on. You may want to call them and make sure your account is setup for CSD. Once CSD is on I have been told you need to enter the number as +123-456-7890, make sure you put the +.

Thanks for the info, lj. I'll call Cingular tomorrow and make sure CSD is activated on my data plan. I tried to get the phone to dial my home number again, this time with + at the front, but the phone didn't seem to do anything and I got an "unable to connect" message on the X30.

Kris Kumar
01-20-2005, 05:39 AM
I have been able to connect the iPaq 2210 to the Internet using my MPx220.
(SP3i was simple, MPx220 was a pain. And this is something that Moto changed in the recent firmware.)

Here are some tips: (I will use you as someone who can verify my findings before I publish it in the guide)

After you have paired the PPC with MPx220 and created the dialup connection, do the following.

Tap and hold on the BT shortcut and view properties. Security "Authentication" should be enabled. But "Encryption" should NOT be checked.

The dialup connection should have the following:
- *99# as the number to be dialed.
- Username password is blank for T-Mobile, but Cingular users may have to supply values.
- Wait for dial tone should NOT be checked.
- NO extra dial string modem command to be specified.
- In "Advanced->Port Settings" tab select "Enter dialing commands manually".
- Everything else is the default in the "Advanced" section.

Launch the BT shortcut. Wait for the dialog box to popup, copy paste the following.

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","<apn_here>","",0,0d*99#

And hit the enter key (not sure if it is needed, but no harm in extra enter).

It should say Connect. Now close the dialog by clicking on the OK button. Without clicking the OK button, you do not get the connection working.

And the connection should not be ready for use.

boomer_sooner
01-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Tap and hold on the BT shortcut and view properties. Security "Authentication" should be enabled. But "Encryption" should NOT be checked.

Actually, on the properties on my BT dial-up connection, both authentication and encryption are checked and it works fine. Everything else in your "how to" is right on, including the piece about Cingular users needing to enter a username and password in the dial-up settings. I have username [email protected] and password CINGULAR1 (I believe they are both case sensitive).

boomer_sooner
01-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Oh yeah, if I haven't mentioned it before, my MPx220 is firmware 1.3. I didn't have my old firmware phone long enough to play around with the BT modem. Took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it after 2 days. 8) I really hope in the future, Moto decides to release downloadable firmware updates.

Kris Kumar
01-20-2005, 06:01 AM
Thanks for verifying the steps.

Over last two-three nights I have been trying to figure out ways to avoid the need to enter the stupid modem command string. My i-mate SP3i does not need it.

Not only is Moto to be blamed for this modem command manual entry. (what a pain). Also Microsoft on the Pocket PC has put a restriction on the length of the command string. If only the box was a bit wider, we would not have needed the manual entry.

I tried registry, tweaking the dialup settings. No luck.

boomer_sooner
01-20-2005, 01:44 PM
I agree 100%. While I can get the BT modem to work with GPRS regularly, I have had a few times where the X30 will stop responding when I go to paste in the init string. Since the 2 devices seem somewhat connected at that point, whatever went wrong with the X30 affects the MPx220 too, and they both have to be soft reset to get them to do anything. It would be so much easier if I could connect with a shorter string or none at all.

vincenzosi
01-24-2005, 02:26 AM
After finally getting around to playing with this today, I made an expansion definition in FITALY that would take care of the entering for me. Now, when I get the connection string window, I just tap out SHORTCUT Dial SHORTCUT and it expands into the entire dialing string, after which I just hit enter.

Sure it isn't ideal, but it does the job!

boomer_sooner
01-27-2005, 05:41 AM
Well, I gave up on the MPx220. Had the BT modem working fine, unfortunately the rest of the phone gave out. Random reboots, sometimes it would power off and the only way to get it back on was to pull the battery then put it back in. When it wasn't doing any of that, it would completely lock up, once again requiring removal of the battery in order to reset it. I was on day 29 of my 30 return/exchange period at Best Buy so I returned it and got the Moto V551. Pretty decent phone and as reliable as I'd expect... after Day 1, anyway. Bluetooth is awesome! Paired with my PC and Axim X30 AND got the X30 to use the phone for GPRS access via BT... with no modem init string! It only has 5MB memory and no expansion slot, but I managed to slip a small mp3 on there and am using it as the ringtone.

Jerry Raia
01-27-2005, 05:45 AM
Also Microsoft on the Pocket PC has put a restriction on the length of the command string.

I just ran into that the other day. I couldn't believe it. :evil:

rdecker
02-06-2005, 05:20 AM
I just can't get the Ipaq 2215 and the MPX 220 bluetooth GPRS connection working.

The two talk fine for transferring files, My bluetooth headset works and I can connect my Laptop to the MPx using bluetooth and surf the web.

When I try to connect my iPaq I never get the 'opposing arrows' icon on the Mpx by the signal strength bar. I have an SMT5600 and all works well there.

I'm completely lost...Any clues???

Ralph Decker

vincenzosi
02-06-2005, 05:55 AM
The second post on this page (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/forum/post.asp?REPLY_ID=31198&TOPIC_ID=12572&method=ReplyQuote) tells you exactly what you need to do. I couldn't get it working either, did exactly what this says and now I have no issues whatsoever. Works like a charm!

Kris Kumar
02-06-2005, 04:24 PM

Check this post. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48564#48564)

MPx220 is a problem child. :-( It requires manual modem connection strings to establish connection. The SMT5600 on the other hand is a breeze.

Jerry Raia
02-06-2005, 05:42 PM

Check this post. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48564#48564)

MPx220 is a problem child. :-( It requires manual modem connection strings to establish connection. The SMT5600 on the other hand is a breeze.

What??? The MPx220 has a problem???? Say it isn't so!!!! :lol:

rdecker
02-06-2005, 07:40 PM
I have done all that...Followed the instructions to the letter....The connection arrows on the phone and the Ipaq continue to 'run'. When the terminal window pops up I paste in the string listed in these postings (I don't get any characters echoed back - is that normal?)

I hit return and still nothing happens. I believe the phone is OK since I can get a solid connection by using a PC with bluetooth and it also works great using the IR port and my iPaq. BT connections between my PDA and the phone also work for file transfers.
Ralph

Kris Kumar
02-06-2005, 08:19 PM
The connection string has to be 100% correct. The sad part is that you do not get any error message or problem report. It is all or nothing. :-(

If you copied the connection string and hit the ENTER key. And are not getting the response "Connect" in the modem connection box, then something is not right. Take a break and repeat the steps again. Hopefully you will find something that you had missed.

rdecker
02-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Here is the string I am using:

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR","",0,0d*99#

Is it normal not to see the pasted text show up on the terminal screen?

Also..I am entering a user name ([email protected]) and password (CINGULAR1) in the profile set up...Should I leave those blank??

Ralph

vincenzosi
02-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Not at all. The pasted text should appear...

Kris Kumar
02-07-2005, 03:17 AM
Is it normal not to see the pasted text show up on the terminal screen?
Ralph

Your connection string is valid. And you do have to supply the username and password.

And you should see the connection string when you paste it into the terminal window. Are you using the Edit menu->Paste option in the terminal window to paste the connection string?

rdecker
02-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Yes, I am using that option.

Nothing in the terminal window echos.....Even if I 'type' on the screen manually...

xxpinballxx
02-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Well, now I am a little disappointed. I have the MPx220 and have finally got the latest version from motorola and just ordered my x50v hoping to be able to connect the two for web surfing.

If it's this much trouble i might just say forget it.

I wish the V710 was able to be used on the GSM networks...... :(

vincenzosi
02-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Well, now I am a little disappointed. I have the MPx220 and have finally got the latest version from motorola and just ordered my x50v hoping to be able to connect the two for web surfing.

If it's this much trouble i might just say forget it.

I wish the V710 was able to be used on the GSM networks...... :(

Well, speaking from experience... If you follow the above-posted instructions exactly to the letter, it does work and it works very well.

Don't be scared off; it's worth it in the end to have a 220 and a PPC.

xxpinballxx
02-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, I am not one to give up so I will try it when I get it.
It should arrive the 15th. Which is my B-day.

Maybe the gods will shine down on me and make it a hassle free experience!

vincenzosi
02-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Good luck to ya!

As with anything else there's a chance for bumps and hiccups, but you should be okay for the most part...

rdecker
02-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Maybe my problem centers around the iPaq. I have tried the instructions listed to the letter..I just does not work.....For now, I'm just using the IR port..it does not require any of the special characters.

I was gonna sell my SMT-5600 when i got the Mpx..Now I'm not sure if I will or not. Although - does not make much sense to have two smartphones!! :lol:

Ralph

vincenzosi
02-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Just curious... Have you updated the Bluetooth stack on your Ipaq? I haven't and I've had no problems...

Just thinking out loud here :?:

rdecker
02-08-2005, 03:58 AM
I updated to the 1.1 firmware...That inludes the BT fix........Are you running 1.0 or 1.1?

When you say no problems, does that mean you don't need to mess with the init string everyone is talking about or you can get the init string to take.....

I'd be more than happy to 'downgrade' to 1.0 if it resolves this issue!!

Ralph

vincenzosi
02-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Not that update. I'm on 1.10 also.

I was thinking more along the lines of this one (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/21093.html) because I haven't done that one at all and I haven't had any problems either...

rdecker
02-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Yes...I did do that one......I wonder if I can undo it...?

rdecker
02-08-2005, 06:49 AM
That did it! I backed out HPs bluetooth patch and all is well.

Thanks for the help.

Ralph :D

Mike Temporale
02-08-2005, 12:02 PM
That did it! I backed out HPs bluetooth patch and all is well.

Some patch that turned out to be. :roll:

vincenzosi
02-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Okay not for nothing, but how's that for a shot in the dark? :-)

Thus epitomizes the glory of the Pocket PC: Anything might be broken, so just fix everything :D

Glad it worked for you!

rdecker
02-08-2005, 07:17 PM
That's why I'm a MAC fan!! :lol:

Thanks again for all the help folks..Now I can put my SMT5600 on eBay.

Ralph

vincenzosi
02-08-2005, 07:19 PM
WAIT

How much, and is it unlocked? :-)

Mike Temporale
02-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Wait, Wait!

Why are you selling it? you just got everything working?

rdecker
02-09-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm not selling the Mpx..I'm selling the Audiovox....

I just like flip phones better..

I put it on eBay at a $150 starting price - See http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5750418391&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Ralph

vincenzosi
02-09-2005, 01:55 AM
Ralph, is it locked or can I set it up for T-Mobile?

rdecker
02-09-2005, 02:25 AM
I paid to have it unlocked when I migrated from AT&T to Cingular.

Ralph

Sven Johannsen
02-21-2005, 12:41 AM
I paid to have it unlocked when I migrated from AT&T to Cingular.

Ralph

That's sort of amusing since they now are one and the same. :wink:

tbird2340
03-07-2005, 04:45 PM
I've been trying to get my MPX220 and Pocket PC (iPAQ) working for A WHILE now...

I followed the directions to the "T". When I enter the commands manually I do get a "CONNECT" but then I get

"The answering modem has disconnected. To check your connection settings and change them if needed, tap Settings."

Any ideas?

vincenzosi
03-07-2005, 04:49 PM
We found on another thread that if you've installed the Bluetooth Update from HP's site, that will stop the connection from working properly. If you've installed that update, you may want to try uninstalling it and then try to connect again.

(For reference, the Patch is here (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/21093.html))

tbird2340
03-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for replying.. I haven't installed any updates on my iPAQ unless it came with it on it.

vincenzosi
03-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Possible... How old is it?

tbird2340
03-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I think 2003. In the asset viewer I have

Bluetooth:
Radio Type: 1
Radio Revision: 141
Radio Present: Y

Not sure if that will help or not..

vincenzosi
03-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Same here... Hmmm... I'm kind of at a loss here...

Kris Kumar
03-07-2005, 11:36 PM
"The answering modem has disconnected. To check your connection settings and change them if needed, tap Settings."

Any ideas?

What kind of data plan do you have. It almost sounds like that the network server is disconnecting you for some reason.

If you are with Cingular, double check the username and password.

But I am out of ideas on this one. :-(

vincenzosi
03-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Hey, that's a good point. You need the Mediaworks plan...

jutaejr
04-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi all. I just got a MPX220 hence I am new to this forum but have been a member of ppcthoughts since 2002. I have a Dell Axim X50v also. I used to
use a cf gprs modem with my HP 2215 and T Mobile. I am eager to try out the connection strings for Cingular. Hopefully I can skip the mpx headache and just place my sim in the cf modem. I'll post my results. One question; I had an unlimited data plan with T Mobile for $19.99 month. Does CIngular offer this also?

username
08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Hello,

I wonder if people are still having problems getting the Axim -> MPx220 -> GPRS to work.

I have an Axim X30. I have tried everything but can't get it to work automatically. I even hard-reset the PDA, upgraded to the latest software on both the phone and the PDA, still does not work.

The PDA connects to the phone (get Connection: Established) but then it comes back and says connection failed (cannot connect for an unknown reason) - seems it does not know how to dial. I tried the modem string with and without the +AT also tried without it. Still does not work. I don't even see the phone go into data mode.

If I manually enter the dial command ATDT*99#, I see the phone go into data mode and I can check my e-mail, get on the web, etc.

So, it seems there is some kind of communication problem between the phone and the PDA so the automatic AT commands are not processed correctly. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Kris Kumar
08-21-2005, 12:32 PM
If I manually enter the dial command ATDT*99#, I see the phone go into data mode and I can check my e-mail, get on the web, etc.
:? Sorry could not follow you.

So, it seems there is some kind of communication problem between the phone and the PDA so the automatic AT commands are not processed correctly. Any ideas?
MPx220 does give PDA's a hard time. :evil:

The dialup configuration on the PDA side needs some precise settings to make things work. I hope you have checked this post. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48564#48564) And are following it word for word. :-)

Basically what you want to do is that ask the PDA dialup to popup a box during dialup where you can enter the manually enter the AT command. And you have to paste the following string into the window that popups up. This window is NOT the same as the AT command single line text box in the dialup settings.

The AT command looks something like this..
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","<put_apn_here>","",0,0d*99#

username
08-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi Kris,

Thanks. It is funny that I browsed through all 8 pages of this topic, saw the posts but did not sink in. So, eventually I did essentially what the posters said. It was 2AM in the morning so my head was not working too well.

The interesting thing is that all I had to do is ATDT*99# on the dial string. Putting in these extra CGDCONT... returns errors.

My guess is this is a timing issue somewhere. Either the Axim does not see the MPx220s "ready for you to issue AT commands" or the Axim's AT commands did not really reach the MPx220.

Anyone from Motorola, Microsoft or Dell can look into this?

Kris Kumar
08-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Putting in these extra CGDCONT... returns errors.

Interesting. So you are specifying only ATDT*99#.

I should dig out my MPx220 and try it out. I have been happily using the SP3i. Which does not need any extra settings.

Also what carrier are you on?

username
08-22-2005, 04:30 AM
I am on Cingular.

mediamarq
04-14-2006, 05:32 AM
Sorry to go back to a previous post on this string...but nobody seemed to answer the question.

I do not see any text when I type (or paste) text into the man. dial terminal, it just flashes the cursor at the top left corner.
Has anyone figured that one out yet?

Oh, its on a Dell Axim x51v with WM5