View Full Version : mpx220, cingular and "connect automatically and check for messages"

ajmccann
12-30-2004, 04:59 AM
I just got an mpx220 and everything works fine - my email is downloaded provided I prompt the phone.

However, I have the "connect automatically and check for messages" option set to "every half hour" - expecting to flip open my phone periodically and find new messages.

This isn't happening - the phone does not connect to the internet every 30 minutes and pull down my email.

Am I missing something? Does this feature not work with Cingular and the $20 media package?

jeff
12-31-2004, 09:10 AM
I have the mpx220 with cingular and have experienced similar issues. Part of it has to do with being on the GPRS network - if it attempts to connect when GPRS is not available, it wont try again until it is next scheduled. two misses if it checks every half hour puts your next connect at over an hour later. This could account for it. However I think there is a software issue related to this. I have found that once the message comes up saying the phone cannot connect to download email, try again later, that the internet connection on the phone is rendered useless until the phone is restarted. Try it - if you get a failed connection message, try to force a send/receive. Mine wont go past "connecting..." unless restarted. Moreover, you wont see this message again until the phone is restarted b/c the phone never gets to a point where it can determine there is no connection, leaving you without an email update hours later. is this a known glitch? My phone is brand new w/ the updated firmware. I'm curious if others have experienced this as well. Its possible you have.

verks
12-31-2004, 12:53 PM
I have also had the same issue. I'm a Cingular customer and tried the Xpress mail. This program works and does check for email when you set it up to do it. Setting up Outlook to retrieve email works(when manually prompted to) but does not sync on a regular basis. Try the Xpress mail if your a Cingular customer.

Mike Temporale
12-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Just a guess, but I think the problem is the the email program isn't running. Open your inbox, and then return to the home screen without closing it. (ie: don't use xbar or any other task manager to close the app) It will stay running in the background and I think you'll find that it checks all day without problems - coverage issues aside, of course. :wink:

stevew
12-31-2004, 02:36 PM
I haven't had any problem with auto checking email as long as messaging is running as Mike said.

Kris Kumar
12-31-2004, 07:53 PM
I am also a bit puzzled by the email sync. Haven't been able to pin point the problem.

But I have noticed it on both of my WM2003 based devices. It seems when you have multiple mail accounts, the Inbox is unable to sync all of them at the scheduled time. I have seen that one of the four mail boxes syncs on schedule but others do not.

Another possible reason for this behaviour could be Xpress Mail. I like it, but I am a little doubtful about its integration with the Inbox.

jeff
01-01-2005, 07:29 AM
in response to the xbar issue, i know that isn't it because i use it and do shutdown the app like you mentioned, but when in a service area email is still received automatically. I think the app closed via xbar is just the front end. there is another process running that checks the email. Xbar doesnt seem to show system processes in any way. Can anyone verify this? One of my other guesses about this problem is that the process is still running in the background and tying up the net connection, hence the inability to send/receive. Any windows mobile junkies know how the backend of the software works?

Mike Temporale
01-01-2005, 12:55 PM
To the best of my knowledge there is not a second process for checking mail. If Messaging isn't running, then it will not automatically download email. That's my expereince anyway. :)

Kris Kumar
01-01-2005, 07:07 PM
I think the mails are downloaded regardless of whether you opened the Inbox or not.

Once I have rebooted the phone and let it stay on without checking the Inbox. And after a while I am alerted about new mails. So there is some background process that fetches the mail.

But there are times when it does not happen. That is the time when the periodic sync stops working too. So there might be a bug somewhere.

Jerry Raia
01-01-2005, 07:24 PM
So there might be a bug somewhere.

A bug in the MPx220???? Say it isn't so!!!

:crazyeyes:

Kris Kumar
01-01-2005, 07:48 PM
So there might be a bug somewhere.

A bug in the MPx220???? Say it isn't so!!!

:crazyeyes:

You know what...I have seen email sync problem on my SP3i also. So it seems that it is to do with either the WM2003SE or Xpress Mail.

[I know Xpress Mail is available for Cingular folks only. But since I have MPx220. I installed Xpress Mail on the SP3i also. ]

Xpress Mail can be blamed as the culprit if everyone seeing this problem is using Xpress Mail.

If not it is WM2003 SE. :? Surprised that many people haven't seen this problem.

jeff
01-01-2005, 08:15 PM
its definitely the OS, this is a core function. I thought i saw an MS Mobile developer reading this forum somewhere, get him on this thread :D

Jerry Raia
01-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Actually come to think of it, my old i600 would behave erratically too both with 2002 and after the upgrade to 2003. I think the OS probably is the offender in this case.

ajmccann
01-03-2005, 04:06 AM
Thanks to everyone that posted.

I have received some messages...it seems erratic; the process is a hard one to troubleshoot. The situation might clarify with the holidays over and more emails traffic.

It is pretty cool to flip open your phone and have your messages waiting...

Now if the little screen in front could display a notification. Can you modify this screen like the home screen? I'm going to do some looking...

best,
a.