View Full Version : MPx220 and Active Sync

little john
12-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Hello All,

Just curious, but I thought with bluetooth when a device that is paired comes into range the connections would be made.

If I walk out of range from my laptop with my phone. When I come back into range I have to go to the phone >Active Sync > Menu > Connect via bluetooth. Am I missing someting or is this just a flaw in the phone or Active Sync. :?:

Thanks,
~john.

little john
12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
I'll answer my own question on this one.

Seems it is limitation of Active Sync. I found this link which tells you how to setup a speed dial to get them connect.

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5817

it seems to work pretty sweet.

Mike Temporale
12-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Marlof had just posted this to the front page this morning. :wink: Good timing. :lol:

little john
12-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Hmmm, looks like I should look at the front page more often, actually I am not sure I have ever even seen the front page. :o

Mike Temporale
12-30-2004, 02:24 AM
I am not sure I have ever even seen the front page. :o

8O You're missing the heart of this site! As we find cool news and tips like this, we post them to the front page for everyone to see. 8)

little john
07-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know where I can find this article?

Thanks,
~lj.

Sven Johannsen
07-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Not sure I'd actually call it a limitation of ActiveSync, but the way it was designed to work. I'm sure that it could be designed in that if BT is on to continuously poll for partners and connect and sync if a partner is available. Not everyone would want that though, because it would certainly take a toll on battery life, something we complain about anyway. There are certainly security concerns as well. It's been shown that some BT devices can be tricked into partnering. Pretty easy to get all your stuff if your PPC will AS with some hacker machine. Yea it's short range, but sitting at the airport or Starbucks with your BT on could be dangerous.

If something like this were added in, I would expect some options to be provided as to whether you wanted it too happen at all, and iff you wanted some sort of delay built in. The delay would be for those situations when you are wandering around in and out of range. While I have pulled my PPC off the cradle in the middle of a sync with no problems, not sure doing this mutiple times, virtually, as you walk in and out of BT range would be a good thing.

To be honest I'm not sure if my other BT devices don't work the same way, like the car handsfree and BT headset. In each case when I turn the peripheral on, and BT on the Phone is on, they connect. I have just turned them on though, which seems to start a hunt for partners. Not sure if I walked out of range and then back in, whther they would reconnect on their own..without restarting them. Just not how they are used.

Sven Johannsen
07-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know where I can find this article?

Thanks,
~lj.
BTW http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=5817&hl=speed+dial

Since the post said Home Page, and was on Dec 29, I just searched for Speed Dial, on Home Page, 180 days ago and older. Popped right out.

little john
07-29-2005, 11:28 PM
"Not sure if I walked out of range and then back in, whther they would reconnect on their own..without restarting them. Just not how they are used."

FYI they do find one another if you work out of range and then back into it. But active sync and my phone don't seem to do this. So yes I would say it is a limitation.