View Full Version : MPx220 and Bluetooth modem.

little john
12-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Hello everyone.

I just got a MPx220 before xmas. I was wondering if anyone has successfully setup the phone as a Bluetooth modem?

I am able to setup a DialUp network connection using the bluetooth modem and the phone wakesup when I try to dial it, but nothing appears to happen after that. :roll: If I query the bluetooth modem it queries fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
john

Kris Kumar
12-28-2004, 04:05 PM
It is tricky. I have talked about it in couple of other threads in this forum (Motorola based Smartphones).

Are you using a Pocket PC or a laptop?

With the Pocket PC, I know you need to tweak the baud rate for the dial up connection (on the Pocket PC).

With the Laptop. You need to ensure that the Bluetooth Modem is selected for the dial up connection and that when you look in the Bluetooth manager on the laptop, you should see your Smartphone and the modem (dial up networking) service.

little john
12-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Yes I am trying to contect it to a laptop.

I found the USB instructions on Motorola's website telling me how to setup the phone as a modem. http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/pdf/MPx220gettingstarted.pdf Unfortunatly no success. The instructions tell me I need an intialization sting APN but my carrier (Cingular) won't give me one, they tell me I have to buy a data package.

Has anyone with Cingular had any luck using the phone (USB or Bluetooth) as a modem without a dataplan? I am not sure why a dataplan is needed. My old Carrier (Verizon) allowed me to use my Startac as modem without a dataplan, though the speed was slow.

Also does any know what *99# does as this is in the instructions too.

Thanks for any info.
~john.

Kris Kumar
12-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Ooh! Cingular again..I have heard of many Cingular folks reporting problems. But am yet to hear of a Cingular customer who has reported success.

Looks like Cingular may be blocking the dial up networking.

You do not need APN. *99# should do the trick as long as your Smartphone's Settings->Data Connections is configured with the proper setting. Basically if your Smartphone can sync email or access internet, then *99# will work.

What does *99# do? It instructs the phone to connect to establish dial up connection using the default connection specified on your Smartphone's Settings->Data Connections->GPRS settings.

little john
12-28-2004, 06:55 PM
I guess I need to by the data package to have access to Cingulars GPRS service.

I am still a lil curious why I can't use the phone as a regular modem though. Such to dial modem to modem to connect to my company. (Think 1989) :)

stevew
12-28-2004, 08:03 PM
I don't believe Cingular is blocking Dial up. I was connecting my previous Siemens S56 and Ipaq 2215 using the S56 as a Bluetooth modem to surf with the 2215 flawlessly. You do need a data plan even if you are dialing a ISP to get internet access. I had internet express plan. Since it was a dial up connection and not GPRS there was no data charge per mb. Only used minutes. I think its more a problem with the mpx 220. I never got it to work on my 220. I've heard of it being done but like what Kris said it's tricky.

Kris Kumar
12-28-2004, 08:53 PM
I guess I need to by the data package to have access to Cingulars GPRS service.

I am still a lil curious why I can't use the phone as a regular modem though. Such to dial modem to modem to connect to my company. (Think 1989) :)

Hmm..you are trying to dial in to your company's server. In that case I believe instead of *99# as the number, you must specify the company's dial up number with area code if required.

I have never dialed into a server, so don't know the exact steps. :-(

little john
12-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks Kris and Steve.

I was using the ten digit number for my company. Thats why I was confused about the *99# thing.

Looks like I need a data plan, which is bogus. :cry:

gapfilmvideo
01-03-2005, 07:47 PM
kris, steve or john:
anyone ever figure out why the mpx220 will not dial up to isp...is cingular indeed blocking?....i have a data package just to make sure the phone can transfer data but still can't make it dial bluetooth and use as modem...

little john
01-03-2005, 09:23 PM
I have not figured this one out yet. I don't think it is Cingular blocking it though. I think for some reason something needs to be changed in MS Smartphone. Some where in Start>Settings>Data Connections Menu>Edit Connections>Dial-Up Connections. I think but am not 100%. I will post if I figure it out, if you do please post as well.

Later,
lj

vincenzosi
01-24-2005, 02:49 AM
I'd be willing to bet it's an APN issue...

The APN you should be using is WAP.CINGULAR

That's it. No .com, nothing else. Fill that into the info you have and see if that helps.