View Full Version : Need help on serious 220 problem

Hobbes
12-27-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm using the 1.30 ROM and having a horrible time with the phone. Somewhat frequently, the phone just turns off when I flip the phone closed. a little less frequently, the phone will lose power when I plug in the sync cable.

When I see this happening, all I need to do is press the power button and it turns on again. I don't need to adjust ther battery or anything like that and the battery always has a good charge as I charge it every night.

This problem is happening more and more often and I don't know what to do about it short of calling Cingular for another phone. Its the same battery I had from my .325 phone and I don't remember having this problem with it.

Has anyone else had to deal with that?

PPCMD
12-27-2004, 09:52 PM
I had this on the one I bought from Cingular a couple of weeks ago. Right out of the gate it would power off immediately. It did it today for the first time with my replacement but I will watch it. Not sure what causing it.

Jerry Raia
12-28-2004, 12:41 AM
I have 1.3 and have not seen this "feature".

Kris Kumar
12-28-2004, 06:30 AM
This has not happened to me yet.

But I have seen Smartphones (older ones - MPx200 and Red-E) going thru a power cycle. By power cycle I mean, the phone reboots itself. <confused> I have never been able to explain why it happens. Except that, my carrier has sent some over the air SIM update command. And the phone is religiously rebooting itself to accept the changes. Not even sure if that is a sane explanation. :?

Luckily I have not seen that happening with the my new phones the MPx220 or SP3i. But then I have not owned them long enough or been observing them closely.

PPCMD
12-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Speaking of OTA updates how do we get them from Cingular? I haven't had figured that one out yet, sort of like my phone bill.

Kris Kumar
12-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Speaking of OTA updates how do we get them from Cingular? I haven't had figured that one out yet, sort of like my phone bill.

Are you asking about firmware updates. Not sure if Cingular does that OTA.

I was talking more about SIM card updates. Things like when Cingular merged with AT&T, I am sure all the SIM cards were updated over the air to include AT&T towers as friendly network (and vice-versa). Things like that.

PPCMD
12-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Sorry about that. I was asking about OTA in regaards to PRL or preffered roaming lists. This is something you had to do with Verizon on a regular basis and I would figure the same with Cingularl. As for FW, I figured that a return and go thing combined with a pot luck dinner.

gapfilmvideo
01-03-2005, 07:28 PM
i have been told by cingular their updates only occur if the phone is powered off.....

Mike Temporale
01-03-2005, 08:18 PM
i have been told by cingular their updates only occur if the phone is powered off.....

8O :twak:

You're kidding right? How could someone think that the update would work if the phone is powered off? Some of those CSR's are really slow. :roll:

Jerry Raia
01-03-2005, 10:21 PM

8O :twak:

You're kidding right? How could someone think that the update would work if the phone is powered off? Some of those CSR's are really slow. :roll:

Well we are talking about the MPx220 now. :eek:

dollardr
01-04-2005, 03:20 AM
I too am interested about over the air programming updates. I recently found out about a command from Verizon (*22899) which supposedly updates the provisioning for the latest data network settings. I only became aware of this after having chronic connectivity problems with 1RXTT and a wireless e-mail solution we are testing. The other command I am aware of is *228 which updates the roaming/voice network settings.

Are there similiar commands for Cingular??

Jerry Raia
01-04-2005, 03:26 AM
Don't know of any for Cingular. Did you try that provisioning thing from Verizon?

dollardr
01-04-2005, 03:47 AM
I did the provisioning command with Verizon for about 6 Samsung i600's and an over-the-air programming command was sent to the phone. Unfortunately, at the same time I did a hard reset and re-installed the software we are using which is NotifyLink for GroupWise so I don't know what actually fixed the problem.

I also forced the Internet Connection to use the 1X network. Not very good trouble shooting techniques but at the time I was spending way too much time on the problem and was ready to try anything.

As a side note, none of our Cingular or Verizon Treos were having this problem - only the Samsung Phones could not automatically poll for new e-mail or PIM information.

jimfee
01-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi,

Having worked for an AT&T affiliate (Sun Comm Wireless) I dont think they would ever do a mass OTA of the roaming database. They have easier ways to flag the calls as "in network" in their billing applications.

But I am curious as to how the physical merger of the two networks will pan out. That task involves frequency reuse planning, T1 rerouting, Mobile Switching office migration, anyone else out there in the BIZ have any insight? And do the layoffs take effect before the system integration or after all that extra hard work is done, you know kinda like "Thanks for all your hard work here's a pink slip"

Jim

lurch
01-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Somewhat frequently, the phone just turns off when I flip the phone closed.
When I see this happening, all I need to do is press the power button and it turns on again. I don't need to adjust ther battery or anything like that and the battery always has a good charge as I charge it every night.
I have this same problem. It happens only once or maybe twice in a few weeks, then it will happen quite often in a few days (granted, I've only had the phone for a month). I'm interested if this ever gets resolved (or identified!). It can be extremely irritating especially if I have the phone in my pocket and I have no clue it got turned off until I try to use it and have to power it back on.

This morning when I turned it on (I turn it off through the night) I turned it on, closed the lid immediately, and it shut off. I was able to repeat it 2 or 3 times, then it started working properly.

Has anyone called Motorola about this? They'll probably say "We are not aware of any bugs with our phones at this time." -- like they said to me months ago when the phone first came out.

Mike Temporale
01-24-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm just guessing, but.... Could there be a problem with the connectors to the battery being loose? or maybe the battery can move around a little and thus the connection is broken?

Again, just some random thoughts.

Hobbes
01-24-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm just guessing, but.... Could there be a problem with the connectors to the battery being loose? or maybe the battery can move around a little and thus the connection is broken?

Again, just some random thoughts.

You know... It felt like the battery was very tight. I always had the hardest time removing the battery when I tried to do so. But after reading your message, I took a look at the battery and, although tight, wasn't exactly straight. It looked straight but when I pressed the battery up towards the connectors I realized it wasn't.

So to get around it, I took a 3M Post-It NoteŽ, tore off a corner, folded it a couple of times, and stuck it between the phone and the battery. It forced all the contacts up against the battery very tightly. I just did this so I'll monitor the phone and see what becomes of my "fix".

Jerry Raia
01-24-2005, 11:57 PM
And just when we think Motorola had screwed up everything they possibly could in this phone, we find a new item.

Are you listening Moto?? We are stuffing post-it notes in your phones to keep them working!!

lurch
01-25-2005, 12:31 AM
I had thought of the battery being loose as a possible issue, and when I looked at it, the battery was snug. BUT, then I took out the battery and noticed that the contacts on it were slighly recessed so that even if the battery itself was snug, the connection could still be severed. (Although not easily, I'll admit)

I will say that every time this has happened the phone has been in my pocket or being used (i.e. this morning I was closing the phone). Never that I remember has it been just sitting still and suddenly shut off.

I suspect that things like this contribute to Motorola's dumping of their manufacturer (at least, from the headline, that's what a previously posted news article seemed to be saying).

Jerry Raia
01-25-2005, 02:20 AM
I will say that every time this has happened the phone has been in my pocket or being used (i.e. this morning I was closing the phone). Never that I remember has it been just sitting still and suddenly shut off..

Oh well that changes things. You were trying to USE the phone. Big mistake. Sorry Moto I take back what I said, this hapless consumer was trying to actually use the phone. You never intended that did you Moto? If you had you would have made it so it could be heard and stay on.

lurch
01-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Latest news: I'm on the phone right now to get this sucker exchanged, because it's been happening more frequently (hard reset does diddly squat by the way).
The funniest part was that while I was trying to explain what happens, I closed the clamshell lid and the thing shut down.
THIS time, though, I got an error message on the screen. And wouldn't you know it, I can't find where I saved that message off to. DANG.
It was something like:
OMP Loader V 2.300
Build Time:Nov 17 2004
UART <something> Mode!!

Has anybody seen that before? My new phone is on the way though, it will be here tomorrow. This is my FOURTH MPx220 in 2 months (I had 2 phones the first month, returned the 2nd one and waited several months, now I've had mine a month and it's going back for a new one).
:x

Jerry Raia
01-26-2005, 01:32 AM
I think 4 phones might be the record on here. Let us know what ROM version you get. The is a rumor floating around of a 1.5 version.

runbuh
01-26-2005, 03:15 AM
I think that's the message that pops up when the phone is in a special boot mode (like you might need to update the firmware). I got that one time on my MPx220 when it powered off right in the middle of a phone conversation. Which leads me to wonder: is that phone powering off, or going into some sort of "boot strap" mode?

Latest news: I'm on the phone right now to get this sucker exchanged, because it's been happening more frequently (hard reset does diddly squat by the way).
The funniest part was that while I was trying to explain what happens, I closed the clamshell lid and the thing shut down.
THIS time, though, I got an error message on the screen. And wouldn't you know it, I can't find where I saved that message off to. DANG.
It was something like:
OMP Loader V 2.300
Build Time:Nov 17 2004
UART <something> Mode!!

Has anybody seen that before? My new phone is on the way though, it will be here tomorrow. This is my FOURTH MPx220 in 2 months (I had 2 phones the first month, returned the 2nd one and waited several months, now I've had mine a month and it's going back for a new one).
:x

Jerry Raia
01-26-2005, 04:22 AM
You know whenever I look at my MPx220 now I start to hear the "Twilight Zone" theme in my head and then Rod Serling saying:

"When Jerry got this phone he had no idea when he put it to his ear he would be listening to...the Twilight Zone..."

Mike Temporale
01-26-2005, 05:21 AM
Twilight Zone, eh?! It could be worse. Be glad you're not hearing Maury or Oprah's theme song. :lol:

cortez
01-26-2005, 06:18 AM
if i hold the down volume key and, at the same time, hit the power button. i get the DOS-type screen and it reads...

OMP Loader V.3.200
Build Time: Nov 17 2004
UART Download Mode!!

Ready

this must be a boot-loader screen... i have to remove the battery to get the phone to load normally.

lurch
01-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Wow, I will say they got my phone to me fast. It was waiting for me at work when I got here this morning! At least something about this deal is impressive. :)

I've decided, if this phone bombs out on me, I'm going to see about getting one of those Audiovox phones. I don't like the form factor nearly as much, but haven't been hearing anything about these issues going on.

Here's the ROM versions in my new phone:
Operator: 0.250.1003.0
Manufacturer: 1.30.0.0
Microsoft: 4.21.14315.0
Language: 0.150.0.0
File System: 4.21.14315.0

So it looks like it's still a 1.3 build. Some part of me was just sure I'd get it this morning and it would be a 0.3xx ROM version!! :)

Mike Temporale
01-26-2005, 04:05 PM
I've decided, if this phone bombs out on me, I'm going to see about getting one of those Audiovox phones. I don't like the form factor nearly as much, but haven't been hearing anything about these issues going on.

My 5600 has been solid. I can't ask for a better device. :D Well, maybe if it had WiFi and more memory.... ;)

lurch
01-26-2005, 04:43 PM
I know I should start a new post for this, but it'll probably get more attention here (maybe?)

I'm setting up my new phone, and just like my last 3, I went to setup my Outlook Email account settings to tell it to sync remotely with our exchange server here at work.
BUT, on my newest phone now I can't edit any of the messaging account settings. I can't modify text message settings (don't know if I could before, never tried), same for multimedia message settings, and the worst is that I can't get into the outlook email account settings.

I highlight the option (after going to Options->Account Setup (or something like it) in the outlook email main screen), and then pressing the select button does squat. If I bring up the context menu, I have the option for pressing "New", but "Edit" and "Delete" are grayed out.

Since I have my old phone here too, I set it back up, and verified that I am able to do it on that phone.

Has anybody seen this before?? I really don't want to call Cingular's tech support back again...
Thanks!!

lurch
01-26-2005, 06:35 PM
<sigh>
I just called Cingular and they are sending out yet another phone.

That will be FIVE.

Does anybody know if the Audiovox phones are available through Cingular? Will I be able to trade for that one if my fifth MPx220 is junk too?

Mike Temporale
01-26-2005, 07:34 PM
8O

I don't think that Cingular has officially released it. You should be able to ask when you call for a replacement. ;)

cortez
01-26-2005, 07:40 PM
i was never able to alter Text or MMS accounts on my phone. The outlook settings were managed via ActiveSync.

lurch
01-26-2005, 08:41 PM
I know that on my last 2 phones (at least) I received them, and instantly set up outlook to connect remotely -- without plugging them into a computer, so I know it should be possible...

Hey, I just thought of a good (but stupid) joke to tell!

"If cell phones were like marriages, then call me Larry King!"
;)

Yeah I'm tired today...

lurch
01-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I need to apologize to cortez! You were right, and I'm an idiot!! For some reason I had it in my head that I always set up my remote activesync settings via the Account Setup in the email "area" of the phone. But no, I discovered last night that it's in the Activesync menus that I can set up the phone, THEN it's enabled to modify settings in the email area.

So.... nobody tell Cingular but I've got a working phone, and another working phone on it's way to replace my currently working phone. :)

Oops!

Mike Temporale
01-27-2005, 02:43 PM
So.... nobody tell Cingular but I've got a working phone, and another working phone on it's way to replace my currently working phone. :)

It's always good to have a spare MPx220 around ;) :lol:

Jerry Raia
01-27-2005, 06:48 PM

It's always good to have a spare MPx220 around ;) :lol:

or two :)

lurch
01-27-2005, 06:54 PM
I had 2.5 working phones at my desk this morning at work! :) It was fun, but I actually had to label the phones with sticky notes to make sure I didn't send the wrong phones back in the wrong boxes.

Hopefully all this is behind me now...

cortez
01-27-2005, 08:49 PM
no need to apologize...:). i was hoping you might have uncovered some hidden settings. :lol:

Jerry Raia
01-27-2005, 11:23 PM
I had 2.5 working phones at my desk this morning at work! :) It was fun, but I actually had to label the phones with sticky notes to make sure I didn't send the wrong phones back in the wrong boxes.

Hopefully all this is behind me now...

Ya know, if you had kept them both you could have held one up to each ear and been able to hear them! A MPx220 first!!