View Full Version : Here are some photo's I took of the 5600 Disassembled

Picasosz1
12-27-2004, 04:45 AM
The address is www.fstelcom.com/new_page_6.htm If HTC had there s**t together there would not be a dust problem but somebody at HTC really screwed the pooch on this one. If any one has any questions i will be happy to answer them. This is still the best phone ever invented they just need some miner things fixed.

Kris Kumar
12-28-2004, 06:38 AM
Was wondering if I can make it a front page post? :)

Have to warn you that there will be increased traffic to your site.

jfreiman
12-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Knock on wood, but I got my SMT5600 within days of it's ATT Wireless release and still no dust.

I'm not saying that the design isn't flawed, just that I'm luckly not having the problem - phew!

Picasosz
01-03-2005, 04:36 AM
Go For it Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Been doin the holiday thing.

johnandletireyes
02-24-2005, 07:27 PM
I found particles of dust in my screen today. I was not able to notice untill I shined it against the sunlight! I have only had this phone 2 weeks!!!!! :cry:

mpaquette
02-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Picasosz1, were you able to clean out the dust yourself by taking the unit apart? Any home remidies for stopping new dust from getting in? My dust post http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7700.

apeguero
03-02-2005, 05:32 AM
I just took it appart by using these pics as some sort of a guide.

This is how I did it.

1. Remove the visible screws under the battery cover - after you remove the battery, sim card, and memory card off-course.

2. Pry off the cover over the lense. Be careful. You have to pop off the end on the side of the battery first then lift it over to remove the other two fasteners on the power button edge.

3. Remove the screws under that cover.

4. Remove the sticker that says "Void". This means you are voiding your warranty by doing this. The last screw is in there. I almost broke my phone because I didn't see this hidden screw.

5. Pop out the main rear assembly cover being careful with the USB connector and the charger. You will break these if you're not carful.

6. There is one final screw shown in the pictures. It's the only phillips type screw. Remove this one.

7. Finally, take a close look at the wires in the tape that are connecting the PCB part of the phone to the keypad. That tape WILL break if you just separate the two PCBs. You have lift the PCB from the camera button side sort of like a page in a book.

Once you do step 7 you will have access to the screen and the plastic cover protecting the screen. Once there clean away :)

I decided to do this little guide since I couldn't find anything on the web that went over in detail how to take this phone appart. Be careful, take your time, use the right tools and you should be fine. Reverse the process to put back together. Kudos to HTC for creating such an easy phone to disassemble. No popping out parts or tricky pieces that fall from nowhere like in other consumer devices or phones.

Mike Temporale
03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
I just took it appart by using these pics as some sort of a guide.

This is how I did it....

Wow, cool step by step guide! but... Why did you do it? :?:

apeguero
03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah Mike :oops: Sorry all. I did this so I can gain access to the LCD screen and remove all of the Dust that had built up under there :oops:

I hope this helps anyone out there trying to do the same.

Mike Temporale
03-03-2005, 02:24 AM
Ah, I see. Did it work? Were you able to clear out the dust, and reassemble the phone without causing any new issues?? I've always steered clear of trying to remove the dust myself.

apeguero
03-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Yes. I was able to remove the dust and reassemble with no new issues.

It was amazingly simple. This phone is also made of good plastic because I pulled and pried around but nothing broke. I recommend you do take care and are delicate with it though.

The toughest items to deal with were the cover over the camera. You have to either use your nails or use a harp object to get under the cover from the opposite side of the top of the phone. The snaps are there. The area on top of the phone is a locking tab that will not pop in or out.

The other tough part was figuring out that there is a hidden screw under the "Void" label. Once that screw comes out, along with the other screws, removing the rear conver is just a matter of snapping it out.

The buttons are well in place so they don't fall out. There were no parts popping out or flying out when I removed the covers. As a matter of fact, other then the volume, power, and camera buttons, I couldn't see any lose pieces :)

The most delicate part of the phone is the piece of tape that is used to link the PCB (mobo?) with the keypad/LCD plate. That is where I think people had problems. If you don't see it you could easily tear it. I don't want to imagine the problems if that were to happen.

I cleaned the screen and the plastic cover using my camera lens cleaning fluid with a nice lens cleaning cloth.

That's all. Follow my steps, use the pictures for familiarization, be brave but be delicate! It is easy to clean the screen on your SMT5600/C500 phone. Keep in mind though - YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY WHEN YOU DO THIS.

Can you post this in the front screen so people can see it?

johnandletireyes
03-07-2005, 06:44 PM
In you opinion, will dust return? If so, under normal conditions how long before dust acumulates. Can the phone be sealed in some way?

apeguero
03-08-2005, 02:13 AM
Dust will come back. I think the original author made notes on some of the pictures of where he thinks the dust gets in through. I don't know what could be done to prevent it. For now, at least I know how to clean it myself. Hopefully it won't break anytime soon :D