View Full Version : Funny you mention that: I have a Panasonic BL-C10 pan tilt network camera

arcmetal
12-21-2004, 09:59 PM
The good news is you can see still images on the SMT 5600 and pan and tilt. The bad news is, still images suck compared to the motion-jpeg served up over a regular browser via an active-x item called bl_camera.cab. I grabbed that file, unzipped it and it has 2 files in it: bl_camera.inf and bl_camera.ocx. If I install it, will it fry my unit? Will it work?

Mike Temporale
12-22-2004, 03:51 AM
arcmetal,

I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you describe what you're trying to do, and what is happening?

arcmetal
12-22-2004, 04:19 PM
I bought probably the cheapest pan-tilt network camera you can get, the Panasonic BL-C10 ($150.00-built-in webserver, needs no pc to operate). The camera comes with a free service with "viewnetcam.com". they give you "yourname.viewnetcam.com" and after setting up and configuring, you surf to your site and see fairly nice VGA streaming video in the form of "motion-jpeg". The first time you attempt to view the stream, an ocx called "cl_camera.cab" installs on your machine. (only after asking for permission w/XP_SP2). While installing, I noticed where the file lived and was able to download it neatly to my desktop. Now, this service also gives you "yourname.viewnetcam.com/mobile" so you can view still jpegs over any cell phone that can see images on the web. (Pretty cool of them, right?) You can actually pan and tilt from the cell. But when I try to access the site using IE on the 5600, first problem is frames, not handled at all, but easy to overcome by drilling down to that frame. When I do, IE says, "would you like to install blahblahblah", you say yes, it pauses a second, then displays a rectangle where the stream should be, but no stream. So I read elsewhere in these forums that if you had that cab, you could install it and it might work. I was wondering if anyone ever tried to load a cab that was meant for regular IE onto a phone w/ PIE. whew!

rrape
12-22-2004, 06:13 PM
I just sent a message to an Irish company that specializes in software to allow viewing of Web Cams on phones. They appear to support some specific internet cameras, and most all standard USB type web cams. I will let you know what they have to say.

Also, if someone was to provide streaming URL service, Windows Media could possbily view the feed, in lieu of Pocket IE. Good luck!