View Full Version : Viewing Internet Video Steams & OCX Plug-ins

rrape
12-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Linksys tells me I need a browser that supports OCX plug-ins in order to view video on my Linksys WVC54G wireless video camera. I am running Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd edition on my Audiovox SMT5600 smartphone, and I am unable to view video on the camera. The message I get when trying to access the video stream via Pocket Internet Explorer is "Please upgrade to a version 4 or higher browser".

Can anyone provide advise on this issue? Thanks in advance.

Rick

Kris Kumar
12-21-2004, 07:05 PM
OCX sounds like ActiveX controls.

Smartphone pocketIE's do not support ActiveX (OCX) download and install. But if you can somehow copy them to the Smartphone storage card. I believe they can be installed and used. BUT the other problem is that the OCX or ActiveX control must be written specifically for the Smartphone. And chances are that the LinkSys control is not written with Smartphone or Windows Mobile in mind. :-(

Best bet: Figure out if there is a URL that streams the video, so that you can punch that URL directly into Windows Media Player. Assuming that the codec (video compression decompression algorithm) is supported by the player, you can see the video.

Let's hope that someone on our forums has the LinkSys box you are talking about. ;-)

rrape
12-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Yep, OCX is OLE Control Extension and ActiveX backwardly supports it, per the reading I did on the internet. I will check the URL solution. Thanks very much for your input!

And yes, great hope that someone has the Linksys camera, which by the way is very cool.