View Full Version : Microphone on the phone cutting out??

kmichalec
12-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Has anyone else noticed an issue with the MPx220, where the microphone on the unit itself stops working? I had this happen 2 times within 5 days, with the previous version I had (firmware 0.342). I then exchanged it with Cingular's XBM, and recieved version 1.30. I hadn't had any issues with it happening for the last 2-3 weeks since then, but then all of a sudden today, it happened again.

Symptoms:
A call comes in, and I can hear the other person plain as day, but they can't hear me at all (completely silent). I then hang up and call back, and the same thing. It will stay this way no matter how many times I call or how many times they call me. It has happened with 3 different people, so it's not a matter of the person calling. It's not until I turn the phone off and then back on that it starts working again. I do not have Bluetooth turned on, I am not using a headset, and am not doing anything I would consider out of the ordinary.

Anyone else experience this?

Michael95GT
12-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Join the club, Mine does it too. It's not really a big deal to me since I use a headset(Jabra BT200) all the time. I'm pretty sure it's a software glitch, be cause "Voice Recognition" still works fine, even when the mic goes out during calls. I'm waiting about calling XBM, to see if they are going to release Version 1.70 or 1.90 :?

If you don't mind, check and see if you V/R still works while the mic is out.

Jerry Raia
12-23-2004, 10:17 AM
I just had this happen for the first time the other day with the 1.3 ROM. I ended up rebooting the phone and haven had the issue since.

hughck
12-25-2004, 03:18 AM
The mic stops working, when you look at the menu while in a call you will see that the mic is muted. I've tried choosing unmute, but it does not work and the only way I've found to get the mic working is to turn off the phone and then back on. I did find that while it mic was not working, if I put it on speaker phone, that worked, and it may turn the mic back on. Try it and let me know your results. I do know one thing, Moto needs to fix this problem ASAP, or replace our phones. It is bad enough that the camera sucks, and the volume is very poor, but the phone is worthless if the mic does not work.

PS I've noticed that if you place the right side end of the phone on your ear, instead of the earpeice, the volume is louder.

Jerry Raia
12-25-2004, 06:52 AM
Yep I saw the same thing, I thought the mic was muted. Like you unmuting did no good. It's just a couple of posts but I wonder how many people are having this issue and what ROM version it effects. I think a front page post might be in order after the holidays.

hughck
12-30-2004, 09:34 PM
When you receive a call and open the phone, you get the option of accept or reject on the hot buttons. If you do not hit the button for accept, but just start talking everything is ok, but if you hit the accept button, it mutes the mic. The reason being that by opening the phone you already accepted the call and if you wait a few seconds after you open the phone you will see accept button turn in to mute button. If you do hit this button and the other person cannot hear you, hit this button again and it will unmute the mic. going to the menu and trying to unmute does not seem to work.

Let me know if this solves your problems. I have not had any problems since I discovered this. :lol:

Jerry Raia
12-31-2004, 12:41 AM
Except I have seen this with outgoing calls too. I call out only to find the mic is dead. I know it wasn't just a bad connection either.

Kris Kumar
12-31-2004, 04:06 AM
Except I have seen this with outgoing calls too. I call out only to find the mic is dead. I know it wasn't just a bad connection either.

That I believe happens when you are using Bluetooth headset and the Bluetooth layer crashes.

Or maybe not....the MPx220 is riddled with lots of undiscovered bugs. :lol:

Jerry Raia
12-31-2004, 08:08 AM
....the MPx220 is riddled with lots of undiscovered bugs. :lol:

and that my friend is its beauty. The undiscovered country if you will.

kmichalec
01-04-2005, 07:13 PM
That I believe happens when you are using Bluetooth headset and the Bluetooth layer crashes.

Nope, unfortuntely, I have never tunred on Bluetooth, and I get that on incoming and outgoing calls every now and again. So far, the only cure I've been able to find is a reboot too...

How do we do that frontpage post like one of the previous posters mentioned? I'd be curious to see how many people are experiencing this.

hughck
01-04-2005, 08:25 PM
I do not have Blue Tooth enabled and the mic did not work on an out going call. So there is a problem with these phones. All the other problems are minor to this problem.

The fix when it happens is to hold down the talk button to turn the speaker phone. With the speaker phone on the mic works. If you try this and it works for you, next time ask the person to see if they can then hear you and turn of the speaker phone. I have not tried this yet, but it would be good to know if it works.

Moto needs to address this problem ASAP, a phone that no one can hear worthless.

Jerry Raia
01-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Since we have this on the front page now lets continue the discussion there :)

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7272