View Full Version : Start up time?

ChemNerd
12-20-2004, 07:09 AM
I'm checking in general. For any phone but the SMT5600 in particular (it's what I have). I posted before that I thought it took a while but when I counted it took 40 seconds from the time I pressed the button until the home screen appeared.

To me this seems much longer than I would expect. I know there is more to do for it than on a regular phone but regular phones don't have the same stats as this phone. All previous phones of mine (several upon several) took less than 10 seconds (and had a connection in that time as well while it takes an additional few seconds for the SMT5600 to get going).

So I ask a poll and any comments if mine is in fact longer.

mkent_barbados
12-20-2004, 12:16 PM
My Nokia 6620 takes 38 seconds, so pretty close.

ChemNerd
12-20-2004, 08:06 PM
My Nokia 6620 takes 38 seconds, so pretty close.

I am... wow. Maybe I'm just in shock since I've never had a phone that took more than 10 seconds. I think was 7 seconds was average and I could shorten it by hitting the hangup button to bypass the banner.

It's just a shock to have my startup time increase over 5 times. Maybe I'm nuts but I don't really honestly see what is possible for such a delay. Sure I expected it to take longer - but not 5 times as long.

Not a huge issue as I rarely turn it off - but just curious.

mkent_barbados
12-20-2004, 08:59 PM
were those other phones smartphones? I had a Nokia 6600 before this and it took just as long, and from what I remember of a friends P910 it took over 30 seconds as well. Smartphones make you wait for all the goodness inside :)

Mike Temporale
12-21-2004, 03:42 PM
I just had to reboot, so I timed my startup and it took about 45 seconds, but that's with Bluetooth turned on at startup. That's only a little slower than my old T68.

Bacco
12-22-2004, 10:36 PM
I know you said not the SMT 5600, but that's all I have. It took me 55 seconds. My phone also loads drivers for my wireless BT keyboard. Since this is a smartphone running Windows...there are diff apps that load and it just takes forever to load. Whatever happend to instant on windows operating system?

Mike Temporale
12-22-2004, 11:56 PM
Whatever happend to instant on windows operating system?

Instant on is the Pocket PC World. With Smartphones it's a different cup of tea. I'm not really sure why that is. I would like a "sleep" button on my Smartphone.

Bacco
12-23-2004, 12:08 AM
A sleep button that would turn everything off when you want to and still power up the phone quickly??? Are you looking to receive calls while in sleep mode or not receive them?

Mike Temporale
12-23-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm thinking of the same thing as a PPCPE. The phone is put to "sleep" or suspend, but it wakes up when there is an incoming call.

Bacco
12-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Ok...I wonder why MS would have such varied operating systems when we're talking about almost the same hardware.

Go figure.

Mike Temporale
12-23-2004, 02:27 AM
With the two platforms becoming closer, it will be interesting to see what's going to be coming along in the future.

Bacco
12-23-2004, 02:38 AM
Give me the ability to have multiple instancs of IE and a better email app and I'll be happy.
I can name a few more, but why be pigish about it.

jfreiman
12-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Well, I for one don't mind waiting for my phone to come on, since I rarely have to restart it.

However, I was curious if the varied times it takes the phones to bring up the Home Screen.

I did a little test to see if it had anything to do with storage cards (miniSD) so I did a little experement.

I booted with and with out my 512MB memory card - both times were identical. At least we can rule out the additional storage as a reason for a longer boot time.

Again, I'm not concerned about the time it takes to load my phone.

orgwizard
02-19-2005, 06:15 AM
My 5600 boots up pretty quick, under 30 seconds or so. Is a huge improvement over my t68...that phone would boot up in under 30 seconds but then you'd get a please wait anytime you tried to do something with the phone. Took about 1-2 minutes to start working completly.
Given that the startup times are different, I would venture to guess that it may depend on who has what loaded. Different software, different themes, etc. Like any computer or pda, the more stuff that you put on it the slower it will run or the greater chance you have that you'll install a poorly written app that causes problems.

Just my 2 cents.