View Full Version : Problems with SMT5600 - Help?

ChemNerd
12-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Having a few problems with the SMT. One is major the others are minor

My main problem is that the clock will not stay set. It wants to jump back 3 hours for some reason. Currently 1:33am 12/14 - phone has changed itself to 10:33pm 12/13. I have already set the phone 3 times now.

I have t-mobile and bought the phone from someone on e-Bay (in california - perhaps this is why it jumps back????) and unlocked it to use with t-mobile. I'm essentially clueless.

Other problems
2) Should it take SO long to start up?
3) Windows Media Player 10 doesn't want to see the size of the device properly saying I have a little less than a MB free when I have 25 or so.
4) The screen area is getting very hot while I'm in a call (it was plugged in at the time) - is this normal?

Thank you in advance. I'm more concerned about the first one because I worry about this messing up my apointments.

ChemNerd
12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Wait..... I checked (took me a minute to find it) and the time profile was set to Pacific. I hadn't thought about checking that until the fact that it came from california dawned on me.

I feel like an idiot - although glad to see the phone does update the time.

Thanks for the other problems then. And thanks to all the good reviews of this phone - I love it.

Kris Kumar
12-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Glad that you figured out the time zone issue :-) Even though ActiveSync syncs the time, it does not touch the time zone. :?

The boot up time for MS Smartphones is high compared to other phones.

I don't have SMT5600, so don't know the WMP10 problem you are running into.

The battery does get warm when you are on the phone for a long time. I have seen this with many phones after having had a long conversation and I believe when the charging cord is plugged in, the heating may seem more apparent.

ChemNerd
12-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the response

I was just suprised at the boot time. I know it's got a lot to do - but I see those three screens each as long as I'd like to see the lot of them together. Oh well won't be turning it off much anyhow.

As for the Windows Media thing - for some reason when I go to sync the device in windows media player it says the device has only 900 some kB of storage free. It also displays only three folders as opposed to my documents and all the folders inside. It's really a minor thing, but I'd like it resolved if possible.

As for the heat issue - it's not the battery thats getting hot - it's the screen. Again I know it should be warm if the screen were lit but the screen is not lit at all - I also have noticed a small buzzing noise which reminds me of the noise my other phone makes if I hold it to my ear and the screen is lit (little bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - sounds like all backlit things to me). So I'm just concerned since an unlit screen shouldn't produce either of those in my experience.

I have a few questions as well but I'll ask them another time. Thanks!

jfreiman
12-16-2004, 06:24 PM
I brought this memory topic up before in this forum: http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6482

The short of it is, the phone reserves the 24MB of memory for running applications.

You will have to buy a memory card for your audio and video files - but once you do you will have another reason to love your phone!

PS. Once you get your memory card, I would advise that you un-install all of your programs, and re-install them on your memory card for faster system performance.