View Full Version : Carrier Performance Testing Provided By eWeek.com

Mike Temporale
12-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Not sure what carrier is best for your needs? eWeek.com has the answer. They compared the Sprint (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1733379,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000605), T-Mobile (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1733377,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000605), and AT&T (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1733382,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000605) networks. T-Mobile didn't fair too well. In fact, the performance of the T-Mobile network was terrible. Here's what they had to say about T-Mobile:

"At $30 per month for unlimited access, T-Mobile's GPRS data service is priced well below the others we tested—and for good reason: We experienced low transfer rates and high latency on T-Mobile's network. This isn't to say that we couldn't imagine effective uses of this service, but its speed will make most general-purpose Internet operations a bit painful."

The best performer was the kid that everyone likes to hate, AT&T. Maybe it is just the customer service that sucks at AT&T, because it appears that their network is pretty darn good!

ricksfiona
12-08-2004, 12:39 AM
I have T-Mobile and will swear to their excellent service. Plus, I only pay $20 for their unlimited GPRS service. Totally worth it.

I have heard SOOO many problems with AT&T, especially with their Customer Service.

I've NEVER had a problem with T-Mobile in regards to Customer Service, coverage, reception or voice clarity.

T-Mobile ROCKS!!!!

edgar
12-08-2004, 01:43 AM
Ricksfiona:

You being in SF really gives an edge to TMobile. Only other places I know that swears by TMobile is NYC and Washington-Baltimore.

Unfortunately, if you travel alot, T-Mobile really isn't there. I had roaming problems, billing issues, etc.

I've had personal AT&T for years. I guess I'm one of the few with minimal billing issues in that time, and always solid roaming and travel experience with AT&T.

My company did TMobile for a bit when AT&T was (still) having setup issues for GSM. We've since gone back to AT&T/Cingular. We have compensated by allowing a bit longer lead time for the ordered cells. However, we seem to get them within 2 days now. So who knows.

runbuh
12-08-2004, 01:52 AM
AT&T had the best speed via UMTS - where do they have UMTS deployed (certainly not everywhere).

Also - you read it here first: the new company can be called AT&Tingular. :lol:

Why did they not test Verizon and EVDO?

Janak Parekh
12-08-2004, 02:30 AM
Good question, since Verizon has fantastic coverage, and 1xRTT is faster than GPRS (and EVDO being faster than EDGE). Maybe it's too expensive. :P

BTW - in my experiences (NYC & suburbs), T-Mobile is pretty good (but not perfect) in NYC, but is significantly lacking outside of the metro area. I'm waiting for the Cingular/AT&T merger to clear up and then I'll try them again and see how they fare, but for now I'm sticking to Verizon.

--janak

Mike Temporale
12-08-2004, 02:34 AM
Good question, since Verizon has fantastic coverage, and 1xRTT is faster than GPRS (and EVDO being faster than EDGE). Maybe it's too expensive. :P

I think they focused on GSM based carriers. Since Verizon is CDMA, that adds another whole factor to the network. Different protocol can add so many variables. Just a guess.

nskgti
12-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Actually AT&T has a fast network because of EDGE... UMTS is only on a limited scale and they are honest about that.

EDGE blows GPRS away. It blows 1x away on the national level because where their isn't EDGE, there is GPRS. NO Data roaming with Sprint or Verizon.

This thread sounds like a bunch of people just saying, "YAY TMOBILE IS SO COOL BECUASE THEY HAVE CHEAP DATA PLANS" rather than having facts to back them up.

When it comes to data providers in the US, AT&T Wireless (now Cingular) is #1. No questions asked. They are the only carrier that has dedicated data channels to ensure their business customers have access to complex data applications any time they need them. IE, this is way Cingular bought AWE.

AT&T had the best speed via UMTS - where do they have UMTS deployed (certainly not everywhere).

Also - you read it here first: the new company can be called AT&Tingular. :lol:

nskgti
12-08-2004, 03:35 AM
EV-DO and UMTS speeds are very similar in real life applications. I use EV-DO on a regular basis. I actually prefer UMTS and eventually HSDPA because it has a clear upgrade path, where EV-DO has to make another shift to EV-DV to see much of an enhancement. No backward compatibility for EV-DO to EV-DV where HSDPA is simply a software upgrade of WCDMA

The GSM route is clear

TDMA -> GSM -> GPRS -> EDGE -> WCDMA -> HSDPA -> OFCDM

The CDMA Route is not so clear

Pre 1x -> 1xRTT -> 1xRTT Rev A (skipped by many) -> EV-DO -> EV-DO Rev A or EV-DV Rev D -> Beyond that is unknown

me
12-08-2004, 04:50 AM
[quote="Mike Temporale"]N
"At $30 per month for unlimited access, T-Mobile's GPRS data service is priced well below the others we tested—and for good reason: We experienced low transfer rates and high latency on T-Mobile's network. This isn't to say that we couldn't imagine effective uses of this service, but its speed will make most general-purpose Internet operations a bit painful."
/quote]

I get the impression, from the quote above, that the cited test was only testing the GPRS Internet service, not the voice reception.

I have pretty good reception with T-Mobile, here in L.A. area.

I wish they had a wider phone selection though! ATT/Cingular sure beats T-Mobile in phone choice!

ricksfiona
12-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Actually, I've been out in the country in California where there are absolutely NO MAN MADE LIGHTING anywhere to be seen, yet I was able to make and receive phone calls via T-Mobile. My buddy was upset cause he had Sprint and didn't get reception. This is a fact.

I suppose if you live in one of the more technologically proactive states, you're bound to get better coverage on no matter what service you're using. Heck, you can get free WiFi at a major shopping area in downtown San Francisco! Provided by your friendly local government :wink:

'Best' in this situation is really dependant on what you need. Since I live and visit/travel in major metropolitan areas and higher populated states, T-Mobile should service me just fine. Their GPRS service serves my needs since I only download e-mail headers (initially) and rarely surf the web on my PDA. It can be better, but I can certainly wait a reasonable amount of time for this to happen, and believe it will. $20 for unlimited GPRS is a completely reasonable amount to pay and it's worked without a hitch AND let's include all the Starbucks and Borders hotspots that use T-Mobile. :rock on dude!:

Yes, I am very happy with T-Mobile's service and for other reasons I stated previously.

Skitals
12-08-2004, 12:29 PM

I think they focused on GSM based carriers. Since Verizon is CDMA, that adds another whole factor to the network. Different protocol can add so many variables. Just a guess.

Except for the fact that Sprint isn't GSM...

And ricksfiona, you only pay $20 for unlimited data because you have a voice plan. Unlimited data with no voice plan is $30.

Bacco
12-08-2004, 04:08 PM
AT&T...best customer service I've been associated with. Always had my issues resolved. As for coverage, no complaints here, whether it's voice or data.

Hope the merger doesn't affect what I've had all these years.

possmann
12-08-2004, 04:16 PM
I agree that factually - (JD Edwards awards and comments from non-casual users) that Tmo has the best voice, price and customer service, but I will also conceed that GPRS ain't a speed demon. It's slow, but then again I don;t use mine for data that much at all - in fact I don;t even subscribe to a data plan, mainly becuase I don't own a smartphone yet (still waiting for Tmo to get their act together here in the US - sigh).

DJ E-Bam
12-13-2004, 08:00 PM
I've had in the Seattle area:
1) AT&T
2) Sprint
3) T-Mobile

AT&T's service has always been FAR superior to any of the others I've had. Where they had been lacking was Customer Service....although I never had any billing issues. Now that Cingular has "taken over", I NEVER have to wait on the phone and they are very quick to fix any issue you might have.

With AT&T I never have a dropped call, never miss a call and my call quality is always clear.

I don't know why everyone bitches about AT&T......I just don't see it.