View Full Version : C|Net Reviews the SMT5600

Jerry Raia
12-02-2004, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://reviews.cnet.com/Audiovox_SMT5600/4505-6452_7-31138516-2.html?tag=top' target='_blank'>http://reviews.cnet.com/Audiovox_SMT5600/4505-6452_7-31138516-2.html?tag=top</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Common wisdom states that a jack-of-all-trades tends to be a master of none. With this in mind, we expected the Audiovox SMT5600 to be able to do a lot of things--just none of them too well. But after spending some serious time with this Windows Mobile 2003 smart phone, we're terribly impressed. Not only is the GSM SMT5600 a great PDA, but it's also a great cell phone and multimedia device. Road warriors will love being able to access e-mail, the wireless Web, and PIM data on the go, while the more gadget-oriented will welcome the SMT5600's ability to seamlessly integrate with Windows Media Player (WMP) 10.0 for synchronizing multimedia data such as songs, pictures, video, and recorded television. At $319, you'll pay more than a few pennies, but you should be able to find it cheaper with service. "</i><br /><br />The more I hear about this phone, the more I am impressed too!

ricksfiona
12-02-2004, 11:33 PM
When this phone drops to the &lt;$200 range, I'm going to buy it! It would be PERFECT if it an SD slot rather than mini SD... It's still an awesome phone.

Jerry Raia
12-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah it makes me consider a candy bar phone which I have avoided over the years.

Jason Dunn
12-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Nice review, but they're wrong about the size of miniSD cards: you can now get them in 1 GB sizes. 256 MB was the limit a few months ago - they should have known better than to criticize this as a limitation. I also thought it was strange they said it was difficult to set up with Exchange - it's quite simple. If you don't have Exchange 2003, that's a different problem, and not the fault of the phone.

I had NO idea that there was a mirror next to the lens! I thought it was a shiny...button...or something. :oops: :lol:

ricksfiona
12-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Nice review, but they're wrong about the size of miniSD cards: you can now get them in 1 GB sizes

Where? I wasn't please about only getting the mini SD in 512MB. Please tell me... This would be the PERFECT phone if I can get 1GB squeezed in there....

Jerry Raia
12-03-2004, 12:13 AM
I wonder if they were referring to the phone having that limitation of not being able to support anything larger than 256MB. I seem to remember reading someplace that there are phones that might not support the 1GB card. My MPx220 only supports 512MB according to the manual.

It bugs me just a bit that you have to take out the battery to get to the card.

Jason Dunn
12-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Where? I wasn't please about only getting the mini SD in 512MB. Please tell me... This would be the PERFECT phone if I can get 1GB squeezed in there....

http://www.smesolutions.co.uk/modaco/digitalmemory.htm

It says COMING SOON, but I think they should be for sale fairly quickly...

ricksfiona
12-03-2004, 12:29 AM

http://www.smesolutions.co.uk/modaco/digitalmemory.htm

It says COMING SOON, but I think they should be for sale fairly quickly...

Thank you... It's that Korean company I found that is starting to sell them...

If you could get the Bluetooth HP headphones to work with the SMT5600, it would make nice little MP3 player. No? :wink:

Foo Fighter
12-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Any chance HTC will make a CDMA version of this Smartphone? I'm dying to move to a Smartphone, but as a Verizon Wireless customer I am limited to one and only one MS Windows Mobile Smartphone, the Samsung i600...which is an antique by todays standards. :cry:

Skitals
12-03-2004, 01:59 AM
I wouldnt consider the i600 an antique. I actually really really miss mine =[ The only reason I sold it was because I had it replaced by Verizon, and it made sense to sell it when it was new since I already got good use out of it and I could get all my money back =\ Oh regret.

Jerry Raia
12-03-2004, 02:18 AM
I liked my i600 too. If it had Bluetooth I'd still have it.